Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On The Stage...

...am i stupido when i want to hear my distorted guitar in monitors before me on the stage?when i want this,engineer always tells me "you have enough from combo...!!!".i can´t help myself but i think that

is not so big problem with it,or yes?..i´am not player with metal or hardcore style,i wan´t to hear feedback of my guitar for all the time through the show.have you any advice? thanks...

rado

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason your sound guy is telling you that, is the louder your stage volume is, the less he has control over the mix. I used to have similar arguments, I used like my geetar on the verge of feedback all the time. Now, I just can't handle those volumes anymore, and I kind of like it quieter, you can hear your vocals better.

Hippie - out

In two days, it won't matter.

The monitor wedges at the front of a stage are there to fill in what you can't hear well enough otherwise, primarily vocals, acoustic guitars, and other things that come out of the main speakers only. Sometimes, you blend in a little kick or whatever, but you shouldn't really need to pump into the monitors signals that are coming out of amps on stage. Unless you have multiple monitor mixes.

Trust me, no one besides you wants to hear electric guitar coming through the monitors. Move your amp. Position it where YOU can hear it best. Then mic it, and let the sound folks deal with it.

Think about it....what else is coming through the monitors? Vocals, for example. You (and everyone else on stage) will hear the vocals better if they are not mixed with guitar. And if your guitar is coming out of the monitors, then your guitar will sound like it's coming from everywhere on stage--which may be great for you, but not for anyone else.

Originally posted by radevic:

...am i stupido when i want to hear my distorted guitar in monitors before me on the stage?when i want this,engineer always tells me "you have enough from combo...!!!".

Hmmm....

What are the reasons why the combo isn't loud enough? Is it because the stage is so huge you're so far away from it you can't make it out? Or is it because of the p.a. blare from the walls?

It's probably just in a bad place for you to hear it. If you in a place where they're micing it, you should be able to place it anywhere - sitting on top of a chair pointed across the stage right next to you will probably make the soundman happier and you should hear it better.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

oh yes,you are right probably.i´ll must more look for better sound for myself and gays...

anyway...thank you for advice,you´re my good friends,i think..

This message has been edited by radevic on 05-05-2001 at 02:46 AM

Welcome Rado. Sometimes I like a little of my guitar in my monitor if the stage sound is "Boomy". I always have my own mix in the monitors, so it doesn't bother anyone else. If everyone in the band has the same mix, don't put your guitar in. But if you have your own mix then do whatever sounds good to you. Remember, the sound man is working for you, not the other way around. I would however go with Chip's suggestion of placing your amp where you can hear it better before I'd bring it up in the monitors.

Good Luck.

KHAN

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Hi Khan."Boomy" is that right word what I mean.You know,I think if we had

the same sound man on every show,it would be so great..Yes,a little bit of dreaming from me..but it´s not what we talk about.Because not all the

people(sound mans) are so perfect,even if you´re right that he´s working for me and no again.What´s your opinion on using boxes like a noise gate

or some feedback removals or any other before my amplifier?..

I have a noise gate in my rack, and use it on most programs(sounds). This gives me total silence when I'm not playing. If you are getting alot of noise between songs you might want to try a noise gate, or a humbucking pickup.

If feedback is your problem you may just have cheap pickups (which will feedback at low volumes), or you might have your amp turned up too loud. I still think amp placement may solve your problem.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

I agree with amp placement as the answer. Also, if you are playing large concert type gigs, you don't even need to have the guitar speaker facing the audience. Just place it where you can use it as an on stage monitor and let the P.A. carry the signal to the masses. In the seventies I was in a six piece show band and our two guitar players had their amps facing sideways tilted back so they could hear them. I simply mic'd the amps and let the mains do the work. Our on stage volume was guite low..one reason I can still hear today.

You might also think of adding another speaker if your amp will let you do it. I suggest you keep the guitar out of the monitors unless the other band members need a little to hear what you are doing.

------------------

Mark G.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by radevic:

Hi Khan."Boomy" is that right word what I mean.You know,I think if we had

That sounds like you're hearing more bleed from the p.a. than your amp. You need to get it closer to you so you can differentiate/make out the differance in sound that is coming directly from your amp and that from the p.a..

I hate having to using monitors with my guitar sound - I find a lot of times it makes things worse. You feel sort of "floaty" and disconnected because you're hearing yourself come from so many directions, all out of phase.

Either stand closer to your amp or move it closer to you.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I think of my problem also in number of concerts I´ve been played.

The more the better - that´s my motto!!

Making mistakes - It´s my hobby!!

Chip,I know it´s a only way...

rado

Rado-

I second with the posts which commented on amp placement. It has been my [unfortunate] experience that guitarists tend to believe that their auditory functions are located in their ankles or behind their knees http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif... You'll nevere here anything if:

a) your amp is less than 2 meters away and pointing at your ass or knees - tilt it towards your head and/or put it on a riser;

b) if you use too much reverb...remember that reverb dilutes your sound, takes out the punch, makes everything muddy...try delay instead;

c) if your guitar sound isn't equalized correctly. How are the controls on your amp? Everything (bass, mid, treble) pushed to the max? Try scooping out some mids and or boosting the highs more;

d) if you compress your sound too much... It will become tiny and lifeless... Let your guitar breathe... maybe it's seems more difficult to play and sustain, but this must be solved by working on your left hand finger technique.

Peace and good luck!

"JJ" Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

Add mine to the chorus of amp placement. A great tool to this end is Ultimate Support's Genesis Amp stand. It angles your amp at one of 3 preset angles, to accomodate the distance between you and the amp.

It also incorporates a mic thread on the vertical support. You can use this with a boom or gooseneck to mic the cabinet or add an extension to use it for your vocal mic. To use the vocal mic, you end up placing the amp in FRONT of you. Very cool amp stand and it folds into a compact form with no odd parts protruding in all directions. I love mine, and it keeps me from aiming my amp at some poor souls in the front row, whose ears are on the same plane as my high end! As a mixer, I've had guitarists fry me with high end because the speakers were pointed at their ankles, from behind.

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived