Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who's got allergies?

damn, i never had any problems at all until recently.

tues morning, i was having severe breathing problems and chest pains and ended up in the emergency room on oxygen being checked for a heart attack. turns out its allergies. could barely make it through a gig last night... just curious, do you prefer any pills out there or do shots work? i have an appointment next week with the allergist...

it's 90 degrees in new yawk city today and the pollen is through the roof! this sucks....

-d. gauss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had good luck with Zyrtec last summer. Probably will use it again this year.

I've also found that as I'm getting older, what used to be minor allergies are getting more severe.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Yuck! Sorry to hear that d gauss... I have allergies too and yes, I've done Flonase which is great, and Zyrtec.

I know shots work for a lot of people but they're a pain in the ass. Before you go through the whole testing/shots routine, if your problem is mainly pollens, there's something else you might want to try which has helped me a LOT: find a LOCAL beekeeper (local is very important), and get some RAW, UNPROCESSED (also very important) honey, and take several heaping tablespoons of it a day. This has a similar effect to allergy shots in that it helps you build a natural immunity to local pollens. You should notice a difference within a few days. Nobody in the AMA is very likely to tell you that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

You also get a nice "buzz" of energy from the honey which you should find pleasant. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

<>

Lee,

LOL!! i think the idea is great, don't get me wrong, but i'm not so sure New York City has a lot, if any beekeepers! i think the only bee i've ever seen in New York City was John Belushi! now if only you had wanted me to find a local crack dealer......... that, i (and i'm sure John Belushi) could have done.

thanks though...i will check the 'burbs out for one.

-d. gauss

d., there's a group in NYC called the "Green Guerillas" and several others who are into "urban farming". They have several public gardens built on reclaimed lots and in private apartment complexes. That is, if your esteemed Mayor didn't shut them all down, which I know he was trying to do a year or two ago.

Anyway, I know for a fact that some of these people keep/kept bees. Of course the 'burbs are a good source too, but try looking up your local beekeepers' association. The NY Dept. of Agriculture can give you that number in all likelihood. You may be surprised to find some in Manhattan, and maybe you could buy some yummy locally produced veggies from them too!

--Lee

Allergy medicine and beer, the poor man's speedball, whoo-hoo!

My sincere sympathies- I'm lucky because for me it was the other way around, terrible allergies for my whole life, then they just went away a couple of years ago.

Couple things- allergies can make you irritable as hell, it is very disturbing, and it really helps if your home and studio are very very clean. Having a place where your body can rest without having to fight allergies is very important I found, and makes it easier when you go out.

Also take a look at your diet- for me, beer exacerbated my allergies terribly, don't know why.

-CB

<>

don't say that! beer is the only thing in my life i can count on to stay true. mmmm. beer.

lee,

thanks i'll look up them green gardenin' beekeepin' folks in da city

-d. gauss

Originally posted by d gauss:

tues morning, i was having severe breathing problems and chest pains and ended up in the emergency room on oxygen being checked for a heart attack. turns out its allergies. could barely make it through a gig last night... just curious, do you prefer any pills out there or do shots work? i have an appointment next week with the allergist...

it's 90 degrees in new yawk city today and the pollen is through the roof! this sucks....

I know the feeling, this is my 8th year,[LIKE I'M PROUD OF IT http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif]I have tried evrey pill,shots, honey, even hot peppers & hot salsa,[i WAS DESPERATE O.K.]

AND when I find somthing that works I also find that it will not work the following year and I have to start searching again.

I think somebody somewhere has the cure, but then, what will this companies do, sell tacos instead! [my opinion!]

Good luck with your shots, I hope they'll work http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

ViLo

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

<>

beer, honey, tacos, damn i'm getting hungry! think i'll get me a cold rolling rock and a coupla tacos to hold me over while i cook up some honey-dipped BBQ chicken.... after all it's BBQ season as well as allergy season. you're all invited!

-d. gauss

Oh man, I've been struggling with the same thing on the west coast for the past month. The tree pollen is wicked and deadly right now. I walked up the driveway last week and I just couldn't catch my breath. I almost had my son call 911--would have too, except that I'm more afraid of hospitals and doctors than I am of dying.

I like the honey idea. I've heard of that before, but had forgotten about it. I've just been praying that this pollen cycle will end and will go into one that doesn't affect me as badly.

I pray you health.

Regards,

Dan Worley

My allergies aren't as bad as they were when I was a kid, but a few weeks in the spring and fall really get to me. A few years ago I was on a quest to find the drug that could help me without knocking me out, without breaking the bank, and without landing me in jail.

What I found is called Chlorpheniramine Maleate. You will see it as an ingredient in lots of allergy/cold medicine. It is also sold by itself, and is usually yellow in color. The recommended dosage is 1-2 pills, but that dosage knocks me out. So I experimented and found that a half a pill to a quarter of a pill will generally take care of the itchy, sneezy, coughy stuff without making me drowsy.

Claritin is good too, but it is prescription and expensive.

Of course, your mileage may vary...Good Luck!

- Calfee Jones

I don't know how things are shaping up in the west, but this is supposed to be one of the worst allergy years EVER in the east. Lots of people who never had allergies are suffering.

Shots are great if they can find EXACTLY what bothers you, but it's hit and miss, and it takes months to see results. Sudafed helps. I'll have to try some of the other treatments that were mentioned.

Don't doubt the power of food allergies. I get a lot better when I avoid dairy products, but it takes several days to see any improvement, so I have to be pretty careful.

Sniff-sniff!

Originally posted by d gauss:

tues morning, i was having severe breathing problems and chest pains and ended up in the emergency room on oxygen being checked for a heart attack. uss

That's peculiar.

I know of 4 people personally who have gone to the ER in the past month or so because they thought they were having a heart attack. Two were told it was an anxiety attack; the other two an "upper respiratory disorder".

Interesting. I've been randomly getting slight headaches, runny nose, sore throat, headaches, scratchy eyes, headaches... Never been this bad, it sucks. Bee pollen, Lee? Hmmm. How does one find a bee keeper.....? Is this what people take bee pollen for normally? I've seen it around, but "?"?

C. maleate is basically "Dimetap" - it definitely will dry you up fast, but that's about all it does I think. My biggest allergy complaint is scratchy eyes, because I can't wear contacts then. I don't know what helps that.....

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 05-04-2001 at 12:36 AM

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

How does one find a bee keeper.....?

One of my father's associates used to keep bee hives in his back yard. He was so into it that, during the CB radio craze of the 70's, he adopted the handle "Bee Keeper." - Don't laugh; look at some of the "handles" on these forums. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, the CB nickname didn't work out too well. Whenever he would introduce himself as "Bee Keeper," people would misinterpret it "Beaky Bird." After a few years of being referred to as "Beaky Bird," he gave up on the CB radio thing, but I believe that he still raises bees.

Keith Richards said he never got sick when he was on smack.

Personnally, I've been on Claritin for more than five years. It keeps me from getting sick.

Some scientists speculate that because we spend so much time indoors, our bodies freak out when invaded by minor irritants such as pollen. If our bodies ignored the pollen, we'd be okay. People who live on farms don't have allergy proplems, they say, because they suck in dust all day long.

I go off the Claritin during the middle of winter and summer and do fine. Also getting out of LA helps too for some funny reason. I was in Scotland and Endland one May and had no problems.

I'm allergic to everything. I'm a chronic sinus sufferer, but that's aside from the allergies I get come springtime. Sinus suffering, while probably caused by some allergy, differs from the itchy runny sneezies I get this time of year. Usually I'll take some antihistamine 'til it subsides.

Went to an allergy doctor once. Gave me like 100 shots in each arm. Most of 'em swelled up...itched like a bitch. Then they told me I had allergies to a whole bunch of things. I said "Tell me something I don't know"...and left.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Interesting. I've been randomly getting slight headaches, runny nose, sore throat, headaches, scratchy eyes, headaches... Never been this bad, it sucks. Bee pollen, Lee? Hmmm. How does one find a bee keeper.....? Is this what people take bee pollen for normally? I've seen it around, but "?"?

Chip, people take concentrated bee pollen or royal jelly for the nutrients. They are rich in enzymes and a great "energy food". However, they are also very expensive, and when they're sold in health food stores they are usually shipped from somewhere else and often been processed, so in all likelihood they won't do jack for allergies.

What you want is just plain old honey from a local beekeeper. "Wildflower" honey is best because that will be guaranteed to contain a lot of the native pollens of your area. Other specialty honeys like sourwood and orange blossom aren't as good because they come from bees foragin in cultivated orchards. Unless you live in a cultivated orchard, you won't develop much immunity to the surrounding pollens.

Anyhow, to find a beekeeper here in Georgia, go to the Dept. of Agriculture Farmer's Market Bulletin. Here's their web site:

http://www.agr.state.ga.us/mbsite/index.html

Click on "ads" and there's a section for Bees, Honey and Supplies. Beekeepers will sell you honey by the gallon and it's cheaper than in stores and a HELL of a lot cheaper than drugs!

For those who don't live in Georgia like me and Chip, your state's or country's agricultural department should have a similar service.

--Lee

Originally posted by Sir Bob:

Some scientists speculate that because we spend so much time indoors, our bodies freak out when invaded by minor irritants such as pollen.

I do think it gets better after I've rountinely spent time outdoors. I haven't had time to ride my mountain bike hardly at all recently.

Having said that, the one day last week I rode a particular trail that had soooo much junk floating around in the air it was amazing. I've never seen it so bad, and the bugs this year seems to be getting ridiculous....

Hmph. The season seems to have finally changed and I've yet to take advantage. I never seem to have allergy headaches going into the winter....

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Click on "ads" and there's a section for Bees, Honey and Supplies.

Hey, why don't you just tell me where in Atlanta to go and maybe one day I'll get back over there....?

When I was a kid I used to have allergy/asthma attacks real bad! I couldn't even breathe. Of course, my mother didn't take it too seriously, she just wrote it off as bronchitis. So in an attempt to fix myself, I resorted to stealing Primatene mist from the drug store. I swear by the stuff, it has saved me many times. Man, it got to the point where I didn't want to go or do anything, in fear I'd have an attack. My oldest son (10) inherited the asthma, and they have him on an inhaler. Thank God I grew out of it, that was a miserable existance! Good luck to you, Hippie
In two days, it won't matter.

I have had unusually bad allergies this season; and I, too, had scary chest pains a few days ago. Theres a lot of good advice in this thread. I have found some success with the Vitamin World brand of Stinging Nettle. The only side effects Ive noticed are heartburn and acid reflux if I take too many at once.

The Ask Dr. Weil site has some good advice on hay fever .

This message has been edited by soapbox on 05-04-2001 at 09:27 PM

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by soapbox:

acid reflux if I take too many at once.

What's with acid reflux all of a sudden? Everybody I know - EVERYBODY - has it, young and old. Everyone is taking anti-acids, passing around Tums, now I think I've got it at night...

Archived