Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DG Stomp...Maybe Craig could help

Hi Craig (hi everybody).

To make it short:

1) I like the DG stomp,but only if i roll off most of the low end.At that point,my output

level becomes way too low to be really usable (i'm using the digital out,so the output knob of the DG becomes inactive).

Also,the digital out is fixed at 48K (and of course i run my DAW at 44.1K).

Are you (is anybody) aware of an inexpensive sample rate converter and digital booster suitable for my need ?

Thank you everybody .

Renzo.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably not the answer you want, but why not just use the analog outputs? That avoids having to deal with sample rate conversion altogether! You don't have to use digital just because it's there...

As to the low end, I'm not sure what you're experiencing as it didn't seem that loud to me, especially since you can use the bass control to trim it out.

Maybe the esteemed Mats Nermark, our ultra-cool guardian of DG lore, can illuminate us all!

I agree with Craig. I don't think you'll really lose anything by using the analog output.

If you need to boost the level, try inserting a cheap mic preamp that has an instrument input, BEFORE the DG Stomp. If you don't like it, you can insert it between the Stomp and your recorder, but you might well find that it improves the tone of the Stomp. I use a JoeMeek VC3Q before my POD, and it drastically improves the tone of the POD, even though the POD doesn't have a problem putting out enough output gain.

--Lee

Originally posted by mantovibe:

1) I like the DG stomp,but only if i roll off most of the low end.At that point,my output

level becomes way too low to be really usable (i'm using the digital out,so the output knob of the DG becomes inactive).

Also,the digital out is fixed at 48K (and of course i run my DAW at 44.1K).

Hi Renzo,

I have tried most of the units in Yamaha's DG product line and I have never experienced an overbearing low end. Quite the opposite. I usually decrease presence and boost a bit of bass. Especially on Drive 2. Then again I have never used the digital output. The DG sounds so good through the analog outputs that I see no real use for the digital.

The digital outputs are indeed 48kHz and thus will produce non-pleasant audio byproduct if you use it straight into your 44.1kHz DAW. I think that this could also be a reason why you find the sound not to your liking.

Off on a tangent for a bit I really wonder why Yamaha choose to go with 48kHz when most recorders within their target group of users have 44.1 digital inputs?

Unfortunately I have not tried any digital converters so I can't be of help here.

My best tip is to try the analog outs and see if you like the sound. If you do, you have just saved yourself the cost of digital conversion.

Good luck!

Mats Nermark

Maybe he's using a soundcard like the SB Live that has a samplerate converter for the digital input? I dunno, but the product literature for the DG Stomp does say that it is @ 48kHz and not at 44.1kHz.

-Dylan

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>The digital out on the Stomp is 44.1 ... at least mine is!<<

What?!?!?? The sampling rate is 48 kHz, as is the digital out. How did you determine the digital out frequency of your box?

Thank you all for taking the time..

Perhaps i shouldn`t have called it low end.It's more like that big bottom

thing that i associate with 4x12 guitar cabinets.I don't play with those anymore,preferring instead open back cabs (by the way,selecting other simulated cabinets didn't help that much).

As for the digital out, i'm not gonna use it at this point ; it's not worth the trouble.

It's just that i'm not that crazy about the mic/line amps

of my console (Spirit digital 328) , so i'm gonna try my 1272 between the DG and

a channel insert's return of the Spirit.

Anyway thank you again,

Renzo.

Archived