Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

live signal path

First, thanks for all of your help with my earlier purchasing questions. The powers that be have yet to examine my requisition, so now I'm focused on getting what I have to work well.

Here's my question: I am mostly running live sound for DJs - playing back recorded music at high volume is the focus. Available to me I have a dbx 166 compressor (two channels) which I have not been using, an older BBE maximizer, an Ashly stereo 15 band EQ, and a Rane AC22 2-way stereo crossover. I am biamping. What order should I put this gear in? I've traditionally used the crossover as the last in line before the amps.

If I use the compressor, what settings are optimal?

I realize the answer may involve more equipment, and I may be able to dig up more EQ. also - should I be placing this gear at the amps or at the mix point - should my long cable run (mix-amps) be in separated, processed form or in L-R mix out before processing?

Thanks so much.

ben walker

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably not use the 15 band EQ, if your pre section is good the 15 bands are only useful for cutting frequencies, which is more common in live sound or in a horrible sounding room, rather than for DJ sound. Run your player signals (main out) of your mixer through the cross over first, then the BBE if it's a two channel), then to the amps. In crossing over first, then going to the BBE etc, your gear can work in a more particular range rather than full range all the time. I've been told from the BBE people there's really no WRONG way to use the thing ! Or if you can, hook the BBE in to an aux send and send the signals out to it that way.

The BBE's are nice as the last thing in the chain, helping to "fix" any phasing or quality problems just before the amps. Compression when DJ'ing is alright, but most of the stuff you'll be playing is compressed like crazy already, a limiter is good to have in the chain though, for when you get those CD's that are way hotter compared to the rest of your collection.

bw,

> I have a dbx 166 compressor ... an older BBE maximizer, an Ashly stereo 15 band EQ, and a Rane AC22 2-way stereo crossover. I am biamping. What order should I put this gear in? <

The crossover always goes last, just before the pair of power amps that drive your speakers. The dbx compressor goes wherever you need it at the time: in the recording path when tracking singers or acoustic guitars, for example, or on one track or on the entire mix when mixing down. Same for the EQ, though I'm not a fan of graphic EQs. A parametric is much more useful, and can be used to change only the frequencies that actually need changing. The BBE goes in the trash. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Ethan

Archived