Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Really enjoyed the Opry feature

I'm not really what you'd describe a huge country fan, but I really did enjoy the feature on the history of the Grand Ole Opry. Some rich heritage there.

I didn't know that artists had a quota of appearances they had to keep. And I didn't know that such current hitmakers were part of the roster. Kinda neat, really.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know that artists had a quota of appearances they had to keep. And I didn't know that such current hitmakers were part of the roster. Kinda neat, really.

Sorry, but this is pure fantasy in today's Opry. The big stars who are members rarely live up to their obligation to the Opry, and the quota went from something like half the year to 4 shows. (days) There are some exceptions, but for the most part an average Opry weekend is filled with older stars, many of whom the current generation of country fans never heard of. It's a shame because they ARE a living history of country music, and much of it is quite good.

Case in point. Although I'm not a big Porter Wagoner fan, I had the chance to be around him in the summer of 1995, when I mixed for Mike Snider (also an Opry star) at Opryland themepark. We'd spend the balance of our lunch break in the bluegrass show, green room. Mike also invited me to come backstage whenever I pleased that summer. It soon became apparent that, in the absence of Roy Acuff (The King of Country Music had passed away prior to my days there.) Porter had become the acting ambassador, more than anyone else, for the Opry.

When CBS was brought in to celebrate the Opry's 70th birthday, Porter naturally assumed he'd be hosting, or at least have a large part in the television show. CBS completely snubbed Porter, and for that matter, all the older stars. They filled the evening with young stars and hit makers of the day. Then they coralled the living legends into a static chorus of Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Several of these stars regularly host segments of the show each week. They know how to work the crowd and entertain. How humiliating it must have been. Porter was too proud and/or angry to even show up for this excercise in futility. He publicly stated good riddance, when, having bought TNN and kept it in Nashville for several years (per the sales contract with Gaylord Entertainment), CBS announced they would move TNN's major operations to New York City.

That anniverasary special is the biggest disgrace I've personally witnessed in the music industry.

Yes, the Opry has had many fine moments, and it still has fine performers, players, and personalities. But without the power to make or break stars, it has largely become a museum. My sincerest regards to the old guard, Vince Gill and others who keep it alive despite this situation.

IMO,

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

D...Grand ole Oprah... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Neil...

That's kind of what I gathered from the article...that a lot of the "young guns" didn't live up to their end of the Opry bargain as they could make more money doing concerts.

And that certainly is a shame about the older stars being snubbed. They need both the younger and the older to keep the tradition going.

And TNN moving to...NEW YORK CITY...sounds like a Pace salsa commercial.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived