Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FYI - Poverty Among Musicians?

What!!!!? I'm Canadian and I don't hate free universal health care, nor do I know a single person who lives here stupid enough to want a system anything like the american one. These kind of myths and total ignorance are the excact reason valid social change is hard to achieve. You have to pass a test to drive a car but any idiot can vote and they usually do. And the usually vote for those with the same stupid outlook they have . Say hi to Dubua for me. Logan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Talk to a Canadian sometime about socialized medicine. They hate it. A comparison some of us Americans could relate to is the Veteran's Administration.

The United States already HAS socialized medicine. It's called Medicare/Medicaid. Or am I not understanding the definition of socialized medicine correctly: medical coverage administered by the government, paid for by tax revenues?

Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security are the largest entitlement programs in the country, many times the size of Aid to Families with Dependent Children, also known as "welfare", which is universally despised.

What's the alternative to socialized medicine? One alternative is NO coverage. Everyone pays their medical bills out of pocket as they arise. If you get sick, you take a hit. If you get REALLY sick, you'll be ruined financially.

Another alternative is for employers to pay for health insurance. This is bad, because since most people don't pay the bill themselves, they don't realize how costs have skyrocketed. If citizens were paying these bills directly, they'd be marching on Washington in droves. The burden is terrible for business, especially small business. Some businesses pay more in health insurance than they do in salaries. Not good for business = not good for the economy.

I do NOT support the idea of totally free, government subsidized medical care. You shouldn't be able to run to the doctor free of charge every time you catch a cold. That kind of privilege will be abused, and costs will skyrocket. Furthermore, I don't want my tax dollars to pay for all of the health care needs of every overweight smoker who eats red meat and drinks whole milk at every meal. But I DO think that everyone should have enough coverage to prevent personal financial catastrophe should a serious illness or injury befall them. If you want additional coverage, you can pay for that on your own, but you shouldn't have to go broke just because you were unlucky enough to contract a life-threatening illness or sustain a debilitating injury.

Logan sez...--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What!!!!? I'm Canadian and I don't hate free universal health care, nor do I know a single person who lives here stupid enough to want a system anything like the american one. These kind of myths and total ignorance are the excact reason valid social change is hard to achieve. You have to pass a test to drive a car but any idiot can vote and they usually do. And the usually vote for those with the same stupid outlook they have . Say hi to Dubua for me

Well, shame on me... I should have conducted a legitimate Gallup-style poll, rather than just talking to a couple of Canadian buds...but...I've heard horror stories of not being able to get surgery done for the huge waiting lists...patients coming over to the States for procedures they can't get scheduled in Canada...etc...much like the horror stories we have concerning the "quality" (or lack thereof) of care at our VA hospitals.

But as always...one person's meat is another's poison. And, we didn't all vote for Dubster. And the problems were in place a long time before he got here, even...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by strat0124:

So I say to all those bitching about starving to death......learn a trade, go to college, use those people skills you have for working up an audience to get your ass in the front door of your future employer, and be frugal with your money and material possessions.

To some people "living" means different things than what is commonly accepted as "What You're Supposed Do".

Where were all of the people that were bitching about starving to death, I missed all of that?

I don't speak for anybody but myself, but existing is not enough for me......I have to live it.

"Living" to one person might be just "existing" to another.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Well, here we go, the age old debate.

Live however you want, as long as you're not imposing on anyone else. And judge not, lest ye be judged. Impose not...judge not. If everyone abided by these simple rules, we'd have very few problems. No one would have any reason to complain.

Add to that...from the "impose not" side...constantly strive to improve your condition, in whatever way you perceive that to be. Blame no one...pull your own weight.

From the "judge not" side...be cheerfully charitable. Always be willing to lend a hand where it's truly needed.

My two cents.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived