Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

***VIRUS!!!ALERT***

It could just be a strange coincidence coming on the heels of dealing with this whacko Terry James, but I just recieved an extremely suspicious looking email. It had no subject, no return address, and no text message. It did have a 33K attachment with an indecipherable tag. Needless to say, I deleted it immediately, but remember folks: don't open any attachments that you are not expecting from someone you know!

Terry might be emotionally disturbed, but I can assure you that he does know a thing or two about computers, if only how to use them to fuck with people.

You are forewarned.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One virus I know of is one with the attached file creative.exe. The message text says something like "Check out this flash animation." It will take all your MP3s, JPEGS, and ZIP files, put them on your C drive,and rename the title to something that's basically a plug for Linux. It's a major hassle to reconstruct the files, even though they're at least not destroyed.

This attachment can come from SOMEONE YOU KNOW as it appears to exploit some kind of address book security hole. If you have Windows, it's prudent to check the Microsoft site periodically and download any security fixes.

A lot of these viruses exploit specifically Outlook/Windows users, so it's best to either get a different email client such as Eudora, or at the very least, disable active scripting in Outlook.

You can get lots of great information about avoiding viruses, plus a great antivirus program, at http://www.mcafee.com .

My favorite virus of all time was when somebody sent around an email that says:

WARNING. YOU HAVE JUST RECEIVED THE HONOR SYSTEM VIRUS.

Please delete all the files from your hard drive, and forward this message to everyone in your address book.

Thank you.

--Lee

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I just recieved an extremely suspicious looking email. It had no subject, no return address, and no text message.

This is a new virus making the rounds - received warnings of it yesterday from friends in UK and in the Middle East.... SOP is to delete these things before you open them. Another one to watch out for - again - hot right now - is from Hahaha - with a reference to snow white.

If you do not know the sender - then its either spam or a virus - and you do NOT need either....so use the delete key....and then empty your trash.

Yo, Quin, whassup. Thanks for that info, my bro, and for bumping this thread back to the top so that peeps here stay aware of this issue.

It was freaky, man! I was looking at that paperclip icon with the downward arrow in bold black, thinking, "If I click on that, my rig gets totally wiped out." It's kinda like walking down the street at night, and seeing someone you know is lookin' to mug somebody, scopin' you out. One clueless move, and BLAMMO!

I did some more research into that Terry James brutha this afternoon, and I'm now quite sure that it was not him wit' da poison email - he's a poseur who doesn't have the kung-fu for that sort of thing. So if you're reading this, Terry, I apologize. But stay the f*ck away from me, anywho, ya know what I'm sayin'? 'Cause I'll nuke ya 'til the rubble bounces.

(@)>-<[???]>--<[!!!]>-<(@)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

if you use outlook, then dont have a message preview plane open either, make it so you have to double click to even see the email, nevermind the attachments. attachments arent needed anymore to bust loose on your ass.

anything im not aware of i right click and delete immediately.

if you arent sure but want to find out about it,

right click,

go to properties... a window will come up,

click on details tab

and then click message source button.

you will be able to read the email without being affected by any virus embedded in the actual email.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Alpha - I tried that with the a recent virus and it DID get me....but I made sure I was OFFLINE first....so that it did not start to send out crap to my friends. I then got rid of the infection before it did any real damage. I know enough about these things to be able to play with them a little....but the newer ones are so sophisticated that they bypass McAfee etc.

**** The deal here is that if you do not know who its from, regardless of how tempting the title, trash it. Better safe than sorry. ****

About the only real "safe" way to get rid of a virus in Outlook is to click on it with the left mouse button as though you are going to open it and hit the delete key at the *SAME* time - this moves the virus to the deleted items folder. Then purge that folder....in case you open it by mistake later on. Netscape is a little more advanced in that you can delete a message without having to open it first....but the same rules apply....delete it and then purge your trash. And if you are unsure and HAVE to read the message....go offline first so that you do not spread the virus to your friends (via your address book).

Once a virus is previewed....it is opened for business....and you've got trouble.

This message has been edited by Quin on 03-31-2001 at 01:35 AM

Okay, this one's morally a lot worse than a virus:

It's called SubSeven.

An attachment is sent to an unsuspecting person who is online. The most common way of doing it is to start chatting to someone via ICQ, then offer to send a picture of yourself or something. What is actually sent is a file called, for example "myphoto.jpg" followed by a hundred blank spaces then ".exe". ICQ's file download display only shows the first few characters, and uses an auto file opening function on any downloaded file. When the file is downloaded(I think it's about 500k or so), the person on the receiving end thinks something went wrong because the file simply installs a hook(I think it's called), which now allows the sender almost unlimited access to the person's computer while they are online. The sender can simply message them something like "oh, the file didn't send properly", then send a photo of some bikini clad vixen.

It allows complete file access(including for example uploading a file to their PC, and running it), desktop control(mouse movement, typing into a currently selected textbox, etc.), hardware control such as shutdown, printer, and the scariest one: activation of someone's webcam. Most people wouldn't notice it turning on, and the pervert can view anything the webcam is viewing(usually, they're situated on top of a monitor facing the user). There are just some many functions, and in the week or so I observed it, two upgrades were released, allowing even more control.

This is for real, my old flatmate used it repeatedly on people around the world. Not surprisingly I no longer associate with him(other reasons too, but...).

You name it, SubSeven can do it. I felt sick watching it being used. I'm reasonably surprised there hasn't been more media attention on it, except for the fact that it's hard to come by(although I haven't actually looked).

I don't use ICQ, so I don't know if this gateway into a person PC has been fixed, but I hope so.

later

Mike

I received an infected email a couple of months ago from a friend. He opened it, and it sent mail to everyone on his AOL mailing list before trashing his computer. The subject had something to do with movies, something like "Hot New Hollywood Releases". The guy's a movie buff, and he fell for it.

So, even if you know who sent it, don't be in a hurry to open a message. Be especially wary if it contains an attachment (but this is not necessary). You might send an email to the sender asking to confirm that the message is safe. If you have a networked computer (at the office, for example), never open ANY unfamiliar attachment. A virus can reach beyond your PC and delete files from any network server you're attached to. Many companies are blocking access to external mail programs now on any computer that's attached to their network, because the whole firm can be infected by a single careless user.

Why dont we point the blame where it squarely belongs - on Microsoft for making such a horrible mail system with such lame security!? I mean c'mon, letting a message run scripts on my system by VIEWING it, how braindead of a design IS that?

/Z

Don't blaim Microsoft. That feature CAN be useful....it can also be really dangerous too.

Its our collective responsibiliy to ensure that we have the tools in place on our systems to trap and destroy any virus before it can propogate. That is getting harder and harder to do - but basic security procedures - if followed, on a no-exceptions basis, will keep you out of trouble for the vast majority of these attacks.

There are still going to be ones that get through....which again is where basic security features come into play. BACKUPS ! Ensure that anything critical on your system is backed up - and reguarly.

Are you an idiot? Do you think if I sent you a virus that you would ever even know, let alone have time to guess that it was a virus before it wiped out everything you have?

It is as I suspected: people like you will ruin not only this forum, but any professional magazine that prints your paranoia and 'Libel, slander, and defamation of character.' Ask the editor bimbo. The publisher can't afford to have a communist oriented Dovshensky-thinkier like yourself around because you would bring on more lawsuits with your false accusations that they could afford.

You're a politician boy! Transparent, accusing, half-truthing, politician. What the hell are you doing in any aspect of the music business?

Go get a job with Shawn Fanning, you're already doing his dirty work for free, silencing legitimate opinions through lies.

Before you accuse someone, putting their name in print, be aware that your libellous actions may be taken to court.

While name calling is one thing, printed defamation of character constitutes publishing and I have your ass any time I want it.

Ask Craig's publisher.

By the way, I didn't send scared school boy here any virus, just for the record. I did say Shawn Fanning and his partners should go to jail for R.I.C.O. Crimes and I stick by that statement because Shawn Fanning and his partners committed a plethora of felonies and misled millions of people into stealing the works of composers, authors, and publishers, i.e., the bands people all love to listen to.

Maybe, just maybe Curve, one of your alleged best friends saw a window of opportunity to unmask you for the namecaller that you really are. Maybe someone who pretends to like you sent it know full well that you'd make a false accusation, and publish someone's name besmirching their good name. In that case, one of your political buddies just put it to you, internationally, and has revealed just how easily manipulated and how gullible you can be.

Perhaps you need to talk to a psychiatrist because your logic has failed in this accusation. You haved libelled me.

I expect a full retraction.

Terry James

It could just be a strange coincidence coming on the heels of dealing with this whacko Terry James, but I just recieved an extremely suspicious looking email. It had no subject, no return address, and no text message. It did have a 33K attachment with an indecipherable tag. Needless to say, I deleted it immediately, but remember folks: don't open any attachments that you are not expecting from someone you know!

Terry might be emotionally disturbed, but I can assure you that he does know a thing or two about computers, if only how to use them to fuck with people.

You are forewarned.

FAT BOY'S BACK!!!

YO, YO, WHAZZUUUP??!!!

I'll be happy to retract my @#$% from your wife's &*!. Just as soon as I get my &@$# off.

Ya still got that dead squirrel wrapped around your face? Luv those Carpenters!

By the way, I've changed my mind about you concerning one thing: you do not know Jack Shit about computers.

See ya in the funny papers, Fat Boy.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

C'mon everyone, keep calm. The purpose of this forum is to disseminate information. We know where everyone stands regarding various members of this forum, further discourse is not a good use of bandwidth.

It could just be a strange coincidence (SNIP) but I just recieved an extremely suspicious looking email. (Snip)

You are forewarned.

perhaps the squirell isn't dead... it's typing...

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 04-05-2001 at 01:47 PM

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Is anyone getting the following email? It has no subject and no message. It simply says in the from field "SIZE = 32870", and has a 32K attachment. I'v gotten three of them over the past week. Quin, is this the same poison email that you've heard about? It's annoying me that they keep arriving.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Hi Curve - Yes - this is the same virus. Someone who emails you has the virus and this is propogating from their machine to yours - and others on their list. When the Snow White virus attacked me I received over 30 hits in one hour alone.

Some browsers allow you to filter spam or messages based on content of the name & message fields. Although the message is blank in your instance...the message might have non-printing characters in it....as thats what I'd do if I wanted to make life more difficult. See if you can make a rule that will cause your browser to move the message directly to the deleted folder...this is doable (in Outlook use the Message option)....and if it works...resist the temptation to browse the contents of the deleted folder....just empty it periodically.

Good luck

Q.

Archived