Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Intriguing article

Originally posted by staupep@hotmail.com:

I am all for change. Lenny Kravatiz dumps pure analog for digital...cool! Sting starts using loops and computers...great! I don't get why we, musicians included, insist that our heros never change?

I am all for growth and change, too. I'm going through a period of change myself. But I don't think this is about "change vs. anti-change". MY question is: why does everyone have to change in the same direction? When a new technology comes out, if you don't totally embrace it you're considered to be "anti-change" or "not with it". Never mind that you might be cooking up something much more interesting and exciting that has nothing to do with whatever the latest trend - or any previous trend - is. If everybody jumps on the same bandwagon of embracing every "new" thing, it gets old fast, and then you are already boring despite being up on all the "latest" gear and cultural trends.

Seems like a lot of marketing hype to me: if it's there, you must buy it and use it, or be "left behind". Whether it's fashion, hair products, or music - whatever is the latest thing must be the greatest thing.

Sure we all have to "move on" - but there are infinite directions to move in. Why pick the same one that everybody else tells you you have to move in, or else be called a "Luddite"?

If you like computerized music and are inspired by it, more power to ya. But it doesn't mean everyone has to. Yet, that's how record companies and radio stations approach the situation and the last thing any of us need is more agreement with that principle from fellow musicians.

Don't worry, we will be back to acoustic analog stuff soon enough, but not until after the record companies squeeze every last bit of blood out of the computer/musician/geeks.

LOL... yep... see above. I must be a complete freak then, I'm a musician AND a computer geek (programmer) and I even have a digital recorder, but I have all vintage guitar gear and don't like electronic music at all. Isn't it a good thing that we aren't all the same, nor are we all what people expect?

--Lee

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted by Lee Flier:

>>>Isn't it a good thing that we aren't all the same, nor are we all what people expect?

=======================================

This seems obvious to me too. Why don't the record co. execs understand it? Are they that stupid?

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived