Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transient Design

I was wondering what your experiences of SPL's Transient Designer are and if you have one, what you use it for. I'm intrigued by these boxes - they seem to be unique. Mostly interested in playing with programmed drum sounds but what about others.

shane

By the way - Good, intelligent forum this one!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one stereo TC TripleC.

It's very useful for a lot of tasks including transient design. I also like that it has 1 knob/button for each function and that you can save your settings. What's missing is that you can not use it as 2 separate mono compressors and it lacks dedicated sidechain inputs. As it is now you can only get sidechain-ability if use it in mono mode and use the free input for sidechain. Still I think that the TC TripleC is a great addition to any studio and you get a lot of bang for the buck. I don't use any midi-editors/librarians for my outboard gear yet, but the TC TripleC can be used like that too I suppose.

I also like the stuff that SPL makes. They are well built, powerful, easy to use and musically sounding IMHO. The one thing I hate though is that their knobs dont have an indicator-line close to the panel - only on top of the knobs. This makes it very difficult to take notes and recall settings exactly.

SPL have released some really innovative and useful analog products. SPL's range of digital gizmos also look very intresting.

BTW, OT question: has anybody used the SPL Goldmike micpre? Opinions?

/Mats

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 03-28-2001 at 06:27 AM

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I've been thinking the same thing -someone should get their act together and make a software version of the TD or the Triple C.

BTW, have any of you guys used either of these processors to stretch out open hi-hat samples - by that I mean add loads of sustain to get that RnB hi-hat sound.

shane

Quote:

"BTW, have any of you guys used either of these processors to stretch out open hi-hat samples - by that I mean add loads of sustain to get that RnB hi-hat sound."

Nope, have not tried that yet. Will try it on an existing recording, when time permits...

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

>>I was wondering what your experiences of SPL's Transient Designer are <<

I was able to try it out through headphones at the Frankfurt show, and was very impressed by what it can do. It's not something I really need desperately right now, but if I had the disposable bucks, I'd go for one.

Archived