Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Merge help needed ASAP

This is the story of my life--I feel bogged down by the simplest little details sometimes, like right now:

I need to send midi info from two controllers (a Yamaha S80 keyboard controller and my VDrums) into my hardware sequencer, a Roland MC50. I bought a little Midiman Merge 2 x 2 box that Roland says will do the trick...and all I'm getting into my sequencer is CC, PaF, and other non-pitch related midi info. No note info at all, in fact, and a lot of midi info that i question. I thought it might be the Midiman merge, so i tried a new one with the same results.

Help? I've spoken to roland tech support and he says it should work fine. I tried to contact Midiman, but after holding for 27 minutes, i decided to email them. No response.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I need low tech (just need something that does this simple task and nothing else) and inexpensive.

Thanks,

Doug

This message has been edited by Jazzooo on 03-26-2001 at 05:47 PM

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Are you sure there isn't some filter in the sequencer that's filtering out notes?

2. Is there a software program for editing the MIDIMAN box? I had a merger like that from another company, and it "memorized" various filter settings. Maybe your is memorizing something you don't want it to memorize.

3. Have you turned off parameters that you don't need? Like if you don't need aftertouch, turn it off at the keyboard.

The fact that you're getting MIDI data seems to indicate that the merger works. I bet there's a filter check mark somewhere next to "note information," either on the sending or receiving end, that's screwing things up.

And try MIDIman again!

<>

I'll double check, but it works just fine until I put the MidiMerge between the controller and the sequencer, so...why would it only filter info out when the merge is in use? There is no software for the merge box, either. It's the box several people recommended too. Argh.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Just an update--I'm stll stuck. Midiman's tech support phone lines are giving me a busy signal, the operator says they're very busy, and no one has answered my email. My sequencer, the Roland MC50, doesn't have any filtering options turned on and like I said, it works fine till I put either of the MidiMerge boxes in the lineup.

By the way, the same thing happens whether I'm trying to send from my keyboard and my VDrums.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

One final update: everything is ok!

As it turns out, it was my sequencer, getting ready to die. My first hint was this morning, when my other sequencer deleted 3 hours of work that I'd been saving all along--kind of gave me the message that it might not be completely functional.

I have two MC50s, and I tried the Merge box with the other one and had no problem. Sheesh.

Thanks, Craig, for helping out--I appreciate the effort.

Doug

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Archived