Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

http://www.musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2228,Lessons--5141591,00.html

Of course, toms vary in size, so each one will likely need a slightly different treatment. But for the most part the lows vary from 40-300 Hz. Many times toms vibrate with a low rumble while you hit the kick and snare, so boosting this area can fatten up the toms, but can also add rumbling while they arent being played. One way to help avoid this is to apply tissue or gel to the drum, but be careful not to choke it too much. Areas around 4000 Hz to 1 kHz tend to be boxy and can be cut to round the toms out. Much like the kick, areas around 3-8 kHz are the clicky and airy qualities and can help add attack and definition to the toms.

should read...

Areas around 400 Hz to 1 kHz tend to be boxy and can be cut to round the toms out.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are in the subject of typos.....

I recently got Craig's book, Home Recording for musicians. Excellent book by the way... however:

I have to take exception on the use of terminology in the 1st chapter. Page 16, 'What is an Audio Spectrum Anyway?'

Well, you seem to imply that audio waves are related to radio waves and light. Actually, the only common thing between them is that both are characterized by oscillations.. and that's where the similarity ends.

Radio Waves, visible light (what we actually see), infrared, ultraviolet, microwaves and xrays are what are grouped as electromagnetic waves. They behave quite differently, but they are basically the same thing.

Audio (or sound) waves are something completely different. They are vibration of particles in the air (none of the other ones are). The mechanism by which we see light and we hear are very different. Sound waves are not part of the electromagnetic spectrum. A microphone picks up sound waves by detecting minute vibrations in air particles. The way an antenna, an optical sensor, or even the human eye picks up electromagnetic waves are very different.

No disrespect intended, I love the book otherwise.

Rod (optical engineer/geek)

This message has been edited by rsaboiasilva@hotmail.com on 03-26-2001 at 01:07 AM

Archived