Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice needed on a "Digital to Analog" converter

I have a Hammerfall 96/52 and a Soundcraft Digital 328. On the last 8 ADAT out's from the Hammerfall I would like to convert the Digital ADAT signal to analog so I can use outboard gear on playback/ and mixdown. After the signal has passed from the converters and through the outboard gear, I would like to send the signal into the 328 and back through the Hammerfall and saved as a .wav. What are some options for converters for 2-8 Channels for about $1000 U.S.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Woodgrain:

I have a Hammerfall 96/52 and a Soundcraft Digital 328. On the last 8 ADAT out's from the Hammerfall I would like to convert the Digital ADAT signal to analog so I can use outboard gear on playback/ and mixdown. After the signal has passed from the converters and through the outboard gear, I would like to send the signal into the 328 and back through the Hammerfall and saved as a .wav. What are some options for converters for 2-8 Channels for about $1000 U.S.

This is one of those rare threads that actually didn't get touched in Craig's forum for 4 days! I'll try to help.

First I want to make sure you're aware of the potential latencies involved in using analog gear in the fashion described. The dma or asio buffers on you RME are going to create latencies at either the input or output cponversion, and you Soundcraft is also going to have some latencies in conversion. So plan on either moving tracks around or trying to pinch every last milisecond out of your card via buffer settings.

As far as Litepipe A/D/A's are concerned, there's a million and 1 for every price range. If you go 8 i/o, plan on spending $1000-2500 for decent quality, and $3000-sky's the limit for cream o' da crop. Avoid or research diligently low cost 8 i/o boxes as there's usually something lacking, like word clock...

Swissonic, Panasonic, RME, all make very nice 8 i/o boxes in the mid range.

Make sure also you operate stand alone stuff at the right sample rate even if you're just sending to analog... jitter jitter...

-rob

Archived