Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how can i hook up with a distributor?

my studio has released a new CD by a flute and harp duo (walking tune by rosewynde), mostly celtic, very nice. it is in borders, amazon.com, and some local places, and is doing well on mp3.com, but we need more exposure. how can we find a distributing agent or marketing agent? what can we expect in terms of agent/marketing fees?

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just started working with a company out of Japan, called Vivid Sound Distribution, who distribute to about 200 stores across Japan(mostly Tower, Virgin, and HMV.)They do a 60(me)/40(them)split, and they pay all taxes. I pay shipping to Vivid. I had a friend who lives in Tokyo help me arrange this. I think that there are probably a few independent distributors out there that you could contact. You might pick up a copy of The Musicians Atlas, they have some listings like that in there. -Malpasoman

You can always try The Orchard (although I hear their payments tend to be a little slow and they don't pay until after earning $100).

From their FAQ:

In a word, the Orchard is a distributor. The Orchard provides a service to artists and labels seeking distribution. The Orchard DOES NOT BUY product from artists and labels. When The Orchard is PAID for products CONSUMERS buy from stores (that The Orchard supplies), the product is considered sold. Until that time, the product is considered 'ON CONSIGNMENT'. The Orchard DOES NOT sell directly to consumers. We focus on making our products available at the places people normally shop for similar products. For instance, if people usually shop at Amazon.com for CDs, we make our entire catalogue available at Amazon.com.

Archived