Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of a beat topic...

Hi all-

I did a search on this but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I have a pair of Tannoy SBM's. Personal opinions aside about the monitors, I don't know their power rating.

I know there are conflicting opinions about whether you should have a more/less powerful amp to drive your monitors but that's kinda what I'm curious about.

I've found an Alesis RA-100 super cheap but am not sure if a.) even though super cheap - fear that it'll make my Tannoy's sound worse than some of you already think they sound b.) Being a newbie, I'm thinking more is better - watts that is.

I cannot afford Bryston and the likes - so, if anyone knows of any older amps (or home stereo amps even) that I could possibly find cheap, please, let me in on the secret.

Off topic - I have just rediscovered Carole King's Tapestry and I'm a happy girl!

Thanks!

------------------

Jen H.

www.wondercrush.com

info@wondercrush.com

Jen H.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The main thing you want to avoid is under-powering your amp to the point where it clips. Clipping produces mucho high frequencies which at loud volume levels can smoke tweeters. I would think that RA-100s should be more than sufficient for studio monitoring purposes.

Hey..."Sort of a beat topic..."

Ha, ha...was that intentional?

Anyway...don't get totally hynotized by the hype of "big name" amps...like Bryston.

The buzz about Bryston's sounded good to me too, but in a multi-amp PA system I've seen half a dozen out of 10 new ones...shit the bed...and they were replaced by another "big name"...Crown...which so far, are doin' fine.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

So here's kind of a newbie question...

Will I need something else to power my mixer (Yamaha PM1000)? I'm running into the mixer, then into adat. As long as the mixer has a power supply (which it does) I don't need one for it, right?

The only reason I ask is I see alot of studios that use several different power amps - and it is confusing me.

Thanks!

By the way, I went with the RA-100...

------------------

Jen H.

www.wondercrush.com

info@wondercrush.com

Jen H.

Power amps drive speakers. Period. They have nothing to do with the electrical power that you need to run a mixing board, recorder, keyboard, etc. That power comes out of an outlet and should be passed through a surge detector (at the very least) or a UPS on its way to your mixer, recorder, keyboard, computer, power amp, etc.

Plug the monitor output of your mixer into the input of the power amp using audio cables. Connect the output of the power amp to the input of your monitor speakers using speaker wire. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT HOW TO DO THIS, ASK AN ELECTRICIAN OR AN ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN. If you set up the power amp incorrectly, you may (a) destroy some of your gear, (b) blow a fuse, © damage your hearing, (d) create a fire hazard, or (e) any combination of a, b, c, and d. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

Note: some mixers designed for live sound have built-in power amps. If you have this kind of mixer, you don't need a separate power amp. Just connect the mixer's SPEAKER output to your speakers using speaker wire (not shielded audio cables). Again, ask for help unless you are COMPLETELY sure that you know what you're doing.

Thanks Dan! I am familiar with live sound power amp applications, I was really just curious why I see so many studios with different power amps. If it's to power tracking room cabinets, etc.

Thanks though, I appreciate the concern.

Looking forward to hearing from you about the donation...

------------------

Jen H.

www.wondercrush.com

info@wondercrush.com

Jen H.

Originally posted by wondercrush:

Thanks Dan! I am familiar with live sound power amp applications, I was really just curious why I see so many studios with different power amps. If it's to power tracking room cabinets, etc.

Thanks though, I appreciate the concern.

Looking forward to hearing from you about the donation...

Ya had me goin', there!

Archived