Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mic noise

Hello,

Really a dumb beginner question, but how to make the mic not making that terrible noise when you put it near the speaker (uff, sorry i don't know how to say this in English, but you should know what i mean.)?

Thanks,

Matej

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matej,

> Really a dumb beginner question, but how to make the mic not making that terrible noise when you put it near the speaker (uff, sorry i don't know how to say this in English, but you should know what i mean.)?<

That noise is called feedback. The short answer is "don't put the mike near the speaker." There's no getting around this simple fact. Is this in a live music situation? If so, try to position the players and singers so the mikes are pointing away from the speakers. Sometimes you can use equalizers to reduce the volume at those frequencies where feedback is occurring. There are also devices that do this automatically, but they cost more than regular equalizers.

--Ethan

Thanks. I just wanted to ask more how do they solve this problem on concerts, where there are monitor speakers (monitors) which have to turn to the singer?

Thanks,

Matej

You have to figure out how to keep the monitors in the mic's dead spots - for cardiod, it is behind the mic - for super cardiod, behind and to the left and right. Never have the vocalist out in from of the PA speakers - seems obvious, but some people setup this way.

Anything else you do is a bandaid and won't be completely effective.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

stevepow: thank you for you answer. But as I am a complete beginner regarding all this stuff, i didn't understand much of it unfortunately...

could you (or someone else) please explain it to me more "dumbish" (oh, i haven't found any better word for it http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)?

Thanks,

Matej

Zdravo Matej!

Ce zelis, se mi javi direktno na moj email-lahko ti posredujem telefonsko "cool" tonskega mojstra iz Maribora, ali pa ti sam odgovorim na zastavljena vprasanja.

Nekaj osnovnih napotkov:

- mikrofona ne postavi pred zvocnike (kot pravi g. Winter)

-mikrofoni imajo "mrtve tocke", kjer ne vlecejo zvoka (ali pa zelo malo) zato morajo biti monitorji v teh tockah (kot pravi stevepow). Npr. mikrofon "cardiod": talni monitor mora gledati pevcu direktno v obraz.In tako pevec sam dobro slisi monitor, medtem ko ga njegov mikrofon ne vlece,kajti monitor je tako sedaj v mrtvi tocki. Itd.

V bistvu je cela zadeva zelo enostavna, ce ti jo kdo preprosto pokaze. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Od kod pa ste fantje?

Se mogoce zopet slisimo.

dijo

-Bobro

cambobro@hotmail.com

This message has been edited by dadabobro@yahoo.com on 03-17-2001 at 06:07 PM

I'll try and explain it. To reduce feedback (the noise from having the microphone close to the speaker), you want to not aim the mic at the speaker or monitor. Have the back of the mic, which does not pick up as much sound if the mic is a cardioid or supercardioid (in other words, a directional mic as opposed to an omni, which picks up sound from all directions equally), aiming at the speaker. The front part of the mic, in other words, should be aimed in the opposite direction from the speaker or monitor. You can also have less feedback by not singing super close to the mic, or cupping (holding) the front of the mic with your hand sometimes.

As the other person said, you can also use an equalizer to lower the frequencies in which the feedback is occurring. Just listen and then lower the frequency where most of the feedback is happening.

Some people playing at concerts avoid some of the problems by not having as many monitors on stage, and instead, will have in-ear monitors. Some people keep the microphones fairly far away from the monitors so it reduces the chances for feedback. Some groups use switches on the floor to turn on and off their microphones, turning off the microphones when they are not performing.

I hope this helps, and does not confuse.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archived