Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

you're my favorite mistake?

with protools, autotune, etc. everyone's now capable of making "perfect" recordings. some of my favorite records have major fuck-ups on them. anybody got any favorite mistakes on records you love? (btw, out of tune vocals don't count) here's a couple of easy ones:

stones-get yer ya ya's out- "little queenie" the drumbeat is turned around for the whole first verse before charlie gets it right. gotta love it

led zep-presense-"hots on for nowhere" -john bonham totally blows a big drum fill in the last tag.

beatles- lots of songs where john does two different words in the double tracking... btw someone with waaaayy too much time on their hands compiled a list of every edit in every beatles song... i found it at: http://www.stevesbeatles.com/wgo/list.asp

-d gauss

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea for a thread, D! My favorite mistake would have to be the Police's "Roxanne", where in the intro the tape speeds up and increases in pitch. You can hear someone laughing in the background. It's too bad that you don't hear more stuff like this in commercial recordings. It makes CD's more human and less "produced" feeling. Personally, some of the best shit that I've laid down is from a total phuck up that I had no intention of doing. Once I play it back I realize that it was some crazy shit and then I have to figure out what the hell I did in the first place. My best guitar solos have been mistakes, go figure!

-Dylan

CCR's Up Around The Bend... Fogerty blows the doubletrack on the Ld Vox pretty badly on the word "what" in the line "...for what you say".

TONS of them in Beatles songs. The What Goes On compliation is pretty good. I have submitted a few anamolies a few weeks ago which are going to be included in the next update of that.

Great thread idea... I'm sure I will think of more as time goes on. I come across them all the time.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Jimi Hendrix- If 6 Was 9.

When Jimi starts talking and the bass and guitar play a simple riff as the drums go off. They lose it. Sounds like they try to cover it up by mixing it all psychadelic-like.

Miles Davis- Freddie the Freeloader.

Miles comes in to the head a couple beats early. Must've had his mind on something else http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/net5/bongsmi.gif

just about any funkadelic track!

isn't making records about a "vibe"....and nobody is perfect.

when i record i try to lay it down in one take....if there are a few "mistakes" and it sounds good then that is even better!

"fuzz"

This message has been edited by spacebass on 03-21-2001 at 04:04 PM

Well, if you listen to EVH, the tapping in "Eruption" was a mistake in that he got it backwards from the way he intended it. But everyone was so blown away by it (can't appreciate that now, can we?) they said "Leave it alone".

Can't remember which live Allman Bros. tune, but Dickey (I think) hit a bum note. His reaction was perfect. He hit it again with the same recovery to make it sound like he intended it.

Todd Rundgren had something cool on "Something/Anything"...where he was talking about "sounds of the studio"....P*s POP*P*ING..my favorite was:

"This is the soun/bad editing"

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Steve Winwood's While You See a Chance originally had drums in the intro. An assistant engineer erased the drum tracks for the first few measures by accident. Yikes! Lucky for him, the powers-that-be decided they liked the results of the mishap.

Beautiful, classic synth pad intro.

TR's Something/Anything? is my all-time fav album. All the goofing around on the parts demonstrating "sounds of the studio" weren't really mistakes. But a great mistake on that album is where TR and the whole band screw up the count and intro to Hello, It's Me not once, but twice. I love it that they left that in on the final LP release [ though you don't hear it on the single release. ]

This message has been edited by teller on 03-16-2001 at 02:15 AM

Dan Richards

Pro Studio Reviews

So this is really self-serving, I suppose, referencing my own CD....but one of the things that we of course often discuss is how a lot of music now is edited to perfection...when I started creating music for dither, things started screwing up. The usual aggravating things, such as crackly cables, soundcards on the fritz, etc. After a while, I just gave into it. The challenge became how to incorporate all these sounds that are ordinarily *unwanted* in music, and make them sound beautiful. It's easy enough to create strange music by putting in crackles or hum, but another challenge entirely to try and create something that actually sounds very pleasant and beautiful. This is what I tried to do with dither. Whether it has achieved that is of course up to each listener (although it has been getting good reviews). In either case, it was really, really FUN to make!!!!

I was going to mention "Eruption" by Van Halen, but someone beat me to it.

I think that today's records often sound really great, really interesting (I don't listen to that much pop, so that may account for some of this opinion ). One thing that I frequently miss, however, is how music recorded, say, twenty-five or thirty or more years ago sounded like people playing in a room. Now, I looooooove electronic music, experimental, etc., but I also really love the sound of people playing in a room. I wish there were more of this. One of the things that I really enjoy about listening to international/world music is that I still get the sound of people playing in a room (or in a courtyard or a jungle or forest or a mountainside...) and all the character that goes along with that. And no, I suppose it's really not a mistake, but it's not "perfect" with "perfect" edits and so forth, either....and so I am squeezing this little post in with the rest of the posts...

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

speaking of VH, how about 'Everybody wants some' during the breakdown, David Lee Roth comes on the the spoken part (I like the way the lines run up the back of the stocking) 4 bars too soon and Eddie walks right over him.

John Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Things", McCoy Tyner is soloing doing this pretty thing with his right hand and walking with his left and in the middle he hits a totally wrong note which goes "clank" right on the beat.

T. Monk once said "if you make a mistake, make sure that you play it again so people think you did it on purpose".

Ah, so we can credit that to Thelonius...

Yeah, with the new editing software, you can take the breaths out of a vocal track. Now, excuse me, but that HAS to have a subliminal effect on a listener.

"Why do I feel like I'm suffocating whenever I put this album on?"

That's just plain f%*$ing unnatural.

>> T. Monk once said "if you make a mistake, make sure that you play it again so people think you did it on purpose". >>

So is he the one who originally said this? Whatever the case, it's words to live by!!!!

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/Nectar

You'll even find boo-boos on huge million-selling latter-day major label releases. Case in point: Richard Marx's "Now and Forever" -- right before he hits the high note climax line in the bridge, listen to the punch-in on the breath. I was real surprosed that they left that one in there!

Fun thread! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

www.radioactivedigital.com

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

In Jimi's "Fire" the bass goes back to the beginning riff accidently in during the fade out, then jumps back into the chromatic line when he realizes that he goofed. McCartney did something similar at the end of Day Tripper, but he just repeats the "mistake" and turns it into a groove.

Police - "Does Everyone Stare" from Regatta da Blanc starts with Copeland's demo and crossfades into the studio version. At the end of the demo section, you hear the voice of an opera singer. Stewart "claims" that it was completely accidental, that his rig picked up a radio signal at just the right moment. I'm not sure I believe the story, but the effect is cool, nonetheless. Plus it's a good song. I think Regatta was their best album.

On Jean Michelle Jarre's "Concerts In China" there is one track where the guy hammering away on the Simmons drums has the beat backwards for the first repetition... he covers it up with a 3 beat fill and continues "correctly". Ooops.

Elvis Laughing is a classic as well... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

/Z

I just happened to hear Marc Bolan's "Bang a Gong" on the radio last night. There's a section with Bolan singing with full band, and a female backup singer singing the high "Get it on"s. The band drops to just guitar, and it sounds as though everything oughta drop out, but the girl sings one more "Get it on"...which, sorta goes, but to my ears sounds like she missed her "quit singing now" cue and kept going with kind of an "Ohshit"...but, I gather that rather than delete it, they left it in, 'cause it kinda sounds cool. But I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that it was just a mistake that worked.

OK. For you keyboard players...Yes' Fragile album...Rick Wakeman's Hammond solo in Round About where he does a key splash down signalling the end of his solo and realizes that it ain't the end and picks back up and does a variation repeat of his last line to fill in the space.

T REX's "Bang A Gong"

...actually the BGV's are Flo & Eddie (Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan) formerly of the Turtles, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (circa early-mid 70's)and Phlorescent Leech& Eddie (Flo & Eddie).

On Jean Michelle Jarre's "Concerts In China" there is one track where the guy hammering away on the Simmons drums has the beat backwards for the first repetition... he covers it up with a 3 beat fill and continues "correctly".

Roger Taylor from Queen does something similar in the intro to Radio Gaga (I think it was on that song) in the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

Keyboard Solo in 'Jump!' in the Van Halen live album. Don't know who's playing keys.. Half way thru the solo he gets ahead of himself, but then catches up. I think the keyboard player messed up and Alex cuts the measure short to make ends meet.

Rod

If you listen on the Corr's latest hit, Breathless, you'll notith the compression is cranked tho hard on the choruth vox, that it comth out in placeth as "breathleth".

On Sade's latest hit, By Your Side, there's a TON of squeaking on the acoustic guitar part. I find it irritating, but in some ways it's interesting that they left it in. It's a very prominent part.

More on Rundgren's Something/Anything? album; because he played all the instruments on the first three sides, you can hear the tempo drift in a lot of places. On many of the songs, he started out by playing the drum tracks first, with nothing to monitor but the song in his head. Pretty amazing feat, nonetheless. It adds charm to the tracks, IMO.

Dan Richards

Pro Studio Reviews

>>>T REX's "Bang A Gong"

...actually the BGV's are Flo & Eddie (Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan) formerly of the Turtles, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (circa early-mid 70's)and Phlorescent Leech& Eddie (Flo & Eddie).

Oops...my bad. Flo and Eddie...didn't know that. I guess I need to read more liner notes. Singing castrato, er, falsetto, er, head voice...well, it still sounds like a screwup to me.

aw...squeaks don't count. (you want squeaks listen the the squeaky speed king pedal all over james brown and led zep records!)

hearing vocal compression doesn't count either (listen to steve miller's jet airliner for that!)

i'm talking about beautiful mistakes- wrong chords, bad timing, flubbbed lines, soloing in wrong key, etc. you know, the essence of rock and roll! or speaking of todd rundgren, just plain dumb (like one of my faves--the shitty doubled tracked cowbell todd put in grand funk's american band!)

cheers!

d gauss

There was something I used to hear once in awhile in the early 70s...trying to think of the song or songs...

Someone would be playing a Hammond, and due to the drawbar settings (I think) it made the organ sound like it was playing chords that didn't belong. Thank God I haven't heard that one for awhile.

"Had to Cry Today" by Blind Faith. At the very end, after a kickin' jam with Clapton and Winwood both on guitar, Winwood comes back to the riff. But Clapton, realizing it too late, fudges it and half plays the riff, finally catching up on the chords. Of course, it doesn't matter. With Baker, they had just taken their improvs through incredible peaks, and the near-anarchy at the end just adds to it in my book. But it is a shame to realize that such obvious slop would certainly NEVER make it into a master today. IMHO, it's just one of the reasons why so much of today's music comes off as inhuman and soulless.

John

Yeah, Tedster. "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent and "Green-Eyed Lady" are two that come to mind. There was another, even more blatant one- I can hear it in my head but can't think of the name. I'm thinking it was an Al Kooper song, but I'm not sure. The B3 sounds as if it's a 4th above the actual key. I must admit, I always thought it sounded kind of cool and I assumed it was intentional.

John

Actually, the two you mention work. There were a couple, I think by more obscure bands, that it really didn't...the drawbars were such that the overtones really clashed with the rest of the band. I'm 99% sure Dr. Al is innocent, but that'd be a real bite in the rear if it was...(embarrassed grin)...

I'm glad Teller mentioned the squeeks in Sade's new album, I think they make it almost unlistenable.

My favorite foul-up is the album version of "You make me so very happy" by Blood Sweat and Tears. At the end of the track, the brass repeat the main riff, while the winds answer with some nursery rhyme theme. They keep repeating it, falling apart more and more each time, a real train wreck in slow motion. Then, at the very end, you barely hear one of the horn players mutter, "That wasn't too good..." Glorious!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I'm glad Teller mentioned the squeeks in Sade's new album, I think they make it almost unlistenable.

My favorite foul-up is the album version of "You make me so very happy" by Blood Sweat and Tears. At the end of the track, the brass repeat the main riff, while the winds answer with some nursery rhyme theme. They keep repeating it, falling apart more and more each time, a real train wreck in slow motion. Then, at the very end, you barely hear one of the horn players mutter, "That wasn't too good..." Glorious!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Listen closely to the second bridge in the Beatles' classic "If I Fell" -- particularly the line "...if our new love was in vain." Paul's voice cracks really hard on the word "vain." You'd never notice otherwise unless someone pointed it out.

Also on Winwood's "If You See A Chance" -- at one point late in the song, Steve flubs the lyrics and the otherwise perfect vocal double tracking becomes slightly flawed. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

On Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile...," he starts singing an incorrect line, realizes his mistake, and just goes on with the correct one.

And though it's not a mistake per se, listen to how the acoustic guitar in ELP's "From The Beginning" pans from center/mono to L-R/double-tracked at the beginning of verse two.

Still a great thread! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

Archived