Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TC Helicon VS Digitech Vocalist EX

i've read some very positive reviews on the tc helicon voice prism as far as being a live harmonizer that you can use MIDI sequencing to control....but the price difference is almost 2x that of the digitech vocalist workstation ex....has anyone done an honest comparison of the 2? interested in hearing from anyone who may have worked with one than the other....keyboard mag says the folks at helicon are actually the folks behind the digitech technology.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The same company that partnered with TC to make the Prism(IVL) used to work with Digitech.Try to find a Studio Vocalist EX,the 2 rack space unit.It's been discontinued,but it sounded better than all the other models in that line,and IMHO is totally usable for either live or studio.I haven't heard the Prism yet but I've owned a Studio for 4 years.

Originally posted by alphajerk:

its okay if it sounds cartoonish.

Hi alpha,

I saw a thread on gm's forum that gave me an idea that maybe will work for you. I know that this hasn't got anything to do with Helicon/Vocalist but anyway. If you want weird/pitched voices you can inhale Helium.

Can this work?

------------------

--Smedis,--

Originally posted by alphajerk:

im curious to hear what the voice prism does, im looking to use it for something other than music and wondering how much it can convincing warp a voice. its okay if it sounds cartoonish.

Own(ed) the TC Helicon--very cartoonish (even includeds the token cartoon characters)...great for warped voices! Enabled us to do a great re-create of Harrisons/Beatles "Within-Without You" ---Works well with single-key drones--actually TC did a great job,,,not bad on board effects,,,,,verbs not 3000,though thanks cjogo

I can only vouch for the Digitech Vocalist that is really cool for what it does.

- Firstly, it can automatically add harmonies to what you sing in "chordal" (you program the songs chords or play them via MIDI) or "scalic" (you set a key, a scale type and say "3rd above" or so - instant "Everyl Brothers") modes where it automatically voices the harmonies in relation to what you sing

- "vocoder" mode which isn't really vocoder it duplicates your voice up to four times (with optional gender bending) and simply plays the note you put into it, no more no less

- "wierd fx" with some far out values and settings

- "pitch correction" either automatic (to nearest scale note) or manual (via MIDI)

Some demos:

- You can hear the "vocoder mode" where the sung chorus isn't at all SUNG, I SPEAK it into a microphone in the Beat Symphony Christmas Video

- You can hear "wierd fx" in my track Cheeze Slicer and "insane pitch shifts" in my electro track Robo Dance

- A bit less extreme, you can hear some pitch-correction and backing vocal syntetization (dont remember if I used "vocoder mode" or "chordal harmony" mode here) in the for example Nina's \"Want to do Tonight\"

I used to have a demo .mp3 somwhere of myself singing "house of the rising sun" through the "Oakridge" preset but I cant find it right now http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

It's a damned fun toy thats fersure...

/Z

------------------

This message has been edited by Master Zap on 03-16-2001 at 02:29 PM

Do I kill all threads I post to? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Having read up on the Voice Prism it seems that it's "just" a vocalist on stereoids (i.e. delay, compressor and (better) reverb built in). If all you care for is the "vocalist"-ish stuff and you can do your own delays, reverbs and compression, go for a vocalist and save the money.. coz the COOLEST option, the "voice modelling" card seems to be vapourware at this point. But when that card exists in the tangible universe I'll find the Voice Prism a LOT more interesting!!

/Z

Archived