Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid singers?

I find it really strange that all bandmembers, except for vocalists, are spending lots of money and time to get the gear that suits them best for live gigs. Very few singers invests in a good personal live-microphone. It just makes no sense at all... and a great vocal mike (for live use) costs even less than a basic drumkit or a synth.

It is even quite rare that the vocalist asks the PA-people for a particular type of mike. Why is that?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'Cause they're freakin' USELESS! Boy, what a gripe. We've got a girl who only sings...primarily backup. Now, don't get me wrong...her backups are a main feature of our sound....but..well, she owns her own stage mic...that's about it. Pisses me off. What a frickin' prima donna. Thanks for letting me beller.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This is a nice topic!!

Our singer bought himself a beta58 last year. After 20 years of singing!!!!

But the most annoying thing is that when we are gigging, he does not help at all with carrying the speakers or anything.

He has to go to the toilet, talk to "some" people or something else.

He is incredible finding other things to do.

If he really like to help out, he starts winding cables and does that for an hour.

Another thing with this singer.

If we make a song and he (the only one in the group) doesn't like the idea, he starts singing bad just to make it sound awful.

But, he's a genius writing songs and sing. Otherwise we would have dropped him!

------------------

--Smedis,--

>> But the most annoying thing is that when we are gigging, he does not help at all with carrying the speakers or anything.>>

Assuming you are talking about PA speakers, next time, make sure that you simply don't carry the speakers in.

Our singer has her own Beta 58 mic. She prefers the sound of this mic, but also, doesn't want to sing on a mic that's been spit on by every other singer who has sung at the club previously. Far better that she deals with just her own spit...

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And while I'm at it: Why the f**k don't they even learn basic microphone technique?

Some vocalists are very serious though, but they are a very rare breed!

The microphone manufacturers would make millions of money if they could get every singer on this planet get used to the thought that a personal microphone is making them sound & look good!

Perhaps it's time for designer mikes? How about some great sounding, cool-looking mikes designed by Gucci/Cardin/Nike/Bulgari/Porsche/JoeBloggs ?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

maybe because most singers are happy with what is put in front of them by the soundmen...understand, unlike guitarists, keyboardist, most other musicians in the band that have probably practiced and perfected what they do, the majority of singers out there don't even know proper breath support let alone what kind of microphone is put in front of them....that's like a keyboard player not knowing basic scales, in a way.

if soundmen and club PAs started featuring Radio Shack microphones or the like, maybe more singers would get out and buy a mic that suits them best. but, even if they did, i would venture to say that 90% of the singers out there would buy what every other singer out there was using (Beta 58s), because if a singer only wants to scream like the dude that's on the radio right now, they wouldn't give a shit how the mic makes them sound.\

unlike a guitarist who needs to have that gibson les paul to sound like such and such, or the keyboard player who must have that new roland doohicky because the pads are soooo warm.

If we make a song and he (the only one in the group) doesn't like the idea, he starts singing bad just to make it sound awful.

Been there. At times I wanted to choke the guy. He would f*** up the vocals if he didn't like the song, and say that he was having trouble with the lyrics. Well, the band ended 6 months later for other reasons, but I was ready to boot him out.

Other than this occasion I've always been in bands where the lead vocalist was either the rhythm guitarrist or the bassist, so they were pretty helpful carrying gear around. At the level that I used to play (high school and college, I haven't gigged in years), most singers that didn't play an instrument were too clueless for me to want to deal with them, either some guy looking to pick up chicks or some girl trying to look cool.

Rod

Archived