Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

buying lots of new gear

I work in live sound for a university's events production department and we are in position to acquire a lot of new gear. I am having some difficulty sorting out what exactly I should get, so I thought I would post my requirements and initial thoughts - I would really appreciate some comments/insertions. Thanks

Amps: We need amps to drive a Cerwin-Vega L36PE and PD18B setup (2 each side). Not sure about this yet because I'm waiting on spec sheets from Cerwin. Figuring on Crest/Crown/Carvin.

Monitoring: We have 2 Celestion 12" monitors with horns and I would like to augment those with 2 15"s and pick up 2 2 channel monitor amps to cover those four. Thinking initially about Carvin.

Microphones: This is the big one. We have next to nothing currently. I need to be able to mic a full drum set, so I'm thinking: Shure DMK52-57 (drum kit with beta 52 for kick and 3 SM57 for snare and 2 upper toms) and a 98 D/S for low tom.... would miking the low tom with an SM57 be okay for live mixing? I have two on hand already and that would eliminate the cost of the D/S.

Alternatively, AKG makes a kit with a D112, three C418 for toms, and a C419 for the low tom, which is only $40 more than the Shure set. Overheads: Sm94 (cheaper than the 81) or AKG C1000. Again, I'm not exactly sure what our cost guidelines are right now, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

We also need to be able to mic amps if people don't want them DI'ed. I'm not sure what to use for this... C3000 is a little expensive.

Crossover: I need a 2-way Stereo crossover to run the Cerwin setup.

We are running all of this from a Mackie SR24-4 board.

Once again, thank you for your help in advance.

Ben Walker

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't do the mic kit for drums - the little AKGs aren't that great, but the D112 is kind of a standard for kick. 57s, Beta98s, or Sennheiser 421s will sound better for snares or toms.

You could probably put drum and mic in the forum search and find loads of other drum mic info. And some would say you might consider just using overheads and a kick mic - maybe a snare, and go from there. Too many drum mics can be a problem.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

bw, I'd go Shure all the way around on this one. Shure Beta 52 is a great kick mic, 57's on snare and all the toms [ 57 is fine on low tom for live apps ], for OH's Shure makes the BG4.1 condenser mic, runs $127 each at zzounds.com.

I'd recommend 57's instead of other mics [ or a broader combination of mics ] because they're rugged and easily replaceable if one is lost. Also great for lots of other apps.

My two cents.

Dan Richards

Pro Studio Reviews

One more question:

If I have a big stereo effect rack (EQ, sonic maximizer, reverb, etc) and an amp rack, should i put the crossover in the amp rack or the effect rack?

Right now I'm thinking amp rack.

thanks!

Hi bw

for crossover check out the DBX stuff. I got one really cheap and it's really reliable (sounds ok to me).

Amps: i'm working with BGW (really good).

The crossover is fine in the FOH-rack, but you need more returns to the stage (my crossover is in the amp-rack).

I hate AKG clip mics. They make some really good mics, but those clips sound awful to me =) Shure/Sennheiser would be fine.

I'm looking at the dbx 223xl right now, and something occurred to me. Am I going to want to run low frequency as a summed output? This would affect amp purchase because I would just need one channel with 2 outs.

thanks

Sorry to keep posting more questions, but I want to get good thoughts on all of this and this board is helping a whole lot.

I still don't have the specs on my speakers from Cerwin-Vega, but I am assuming that the subs are 1000watt program 2000watt peak (based on new specs for the updated version) and the upper ends are probably 500 program 1000 peak. That might be wrong, but who knows.

Thus, assuming I don't do a mono sum for the subs, do I need to run them at 8 ohms off the amp?

what kind of power are you looking for out of your amps?

crown makes a dsp card for most of their amps that can handle crossing over, all sorts of filters, and compression and delay, too. it's something to look into, as the dsp card costs about the same a good hardware crossover.

crown also just released a cinema crossover for their CE series amps and their joint JBL powered speaker project. i'm not sure what the specific frequencies are, though.

all of this information can be had at crown's website, http://www.crownaudio.com .

I plan to run two Cerwin L-36PE's (approximate continuous wattage 1000W, nominal impedance 8ohm) off the bottom amp and so am considering a mono sum for the pair. For top/mid, two PD-18B's of unknown wattage.. working on cerwin for the specs.

Assuming the L-36PE's are 1000 continuous, I'm now thinking of running a mono subwoofer sum off the dbx 223xl and using a Crown MA 2402 in bridge mode, which provides around 1,500 watts...i'm assuming to each speaker?

Archived