Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hey u, to whom should I donate gear?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
man, Q2 bashing? you can do some cool shit with that thing, its not a utility box but you can get some squishy stuff happening... i've got one, dont need another. i would thinka countryman DI would be a better bonzai planter.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

Yo, Nika, ya got any dust-gathering serial port MIDI interfaces ya wanna sell me?

Hey Curve...

Mac or PC? If you're looking for PC, I have a MOTU MIDI Flyer 2 X 2 parallel that's not doing anything at the moment... hardly ever used it at all. Send me a private email...

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Ok, I'll bite.

We could use the Carvin Bass, because our resident bass in the studio is an ancient Gibson SG copy going under a mysterious brand-name of 'Madiera', and has a muddy enough sound that we usually end up having to use a synth to do our bass parts.

While this is (sort of) workable, it is really limiting because the synth basses are all pre-compressed and have a 'canned' sound that is hard to escape.

A sample of our tunage can be heard at

www.mp3.com/tangent

Thanx.

philbo

Originally posted by philbo2@cedar-rapids.net:

While this is (sort of) workable, it is really limiting because the synth basses are all pre-compressed and have a 'canned' sound that is hard to escape.

PhilBo - or is that Phil B. O. - I'll add you to the list. I HATE the sound of SG basses, even REAL ones. I don't even like SG guitars. I'll try to catch your music soon, but I'm way behind because of a slow internet connection. For synth bass, try a Kurzweil if you can get your hands on one. Kurzweils have the least compressed sound of any synth that I have used to date.

Originally posted by Nika:

Well Geesh! If you're spending $240,000 on atomic clocks you can probably afford to send me an old Amek BIG console. My kid could really use a new sandbox!!

That's $240,000 in 1970 dollars. And actually, I have three of them, one for my mixing room, one for my composing room, plus a spare. I wanted to get a fourth for my road racks, but at the time I couldn't see spending a million on synchronization. Maybe it was a bad decision. I was planning to call them John, Paul, George, and Ringo. Had to settle for Peter, Paul, and Mary. It just doesn't have the same vibe.

Anyway, I'll probably be giving the cesium clocks away in another giveaway soon. I'm experimenting with a prototype anti-matter clock that keeps my rig in sync with alternate universes. This is important, because some of my clients are definitely from outer space. It's a really cool looking unit with a beautiful blue polished kryptonite case. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but it weighs 9000 kg. The only hitch is that it loses accuracy as you approach the speed of light. Oh, well! You can't have everything, I suppose.

By the way, I shipped your Amek this morning. Have fun.

Dan - I am actually petitioning for a friend of mine. She's amazingly talented and trying to break into doing more 'electronic/orchestral' based music (ala' bjork, lamb, etc.). My studio partner and I are working with her on her debut cd, but it would be great if she had the JD-990 in her home studio so that she could do more of her own composition. She has very little gear (so this piece will actually be used...ALOT!), she works a day job (she's not a slacker looking for a handout) and is a genuinely a good natured person. This would totally make her day...

You can hear her stuff at:

www.mp3.com/artemis

Thanks!

Originally posted by bombastique:

Dan - I am actually petitioning for a friend of mine. She's amazingly talented and trying to break into doing more 'electronic/orchestral' based music (ala' bjork, lamb, etc.). My studio partner and I are working with her on her debut cd, but it would be great if she had the JD-990 in her home studio so that she could do more of her own composition. She has very little gear (so this piece will actually be used...ALOT!), she works a day job (she's not a slacker looking for a handout) and is a genuinely a good natured person. This would totally make her day...

Bombast - I'll check out your friend's music. Consider her entered!

Please Help Oark!

For Real Player version of song, click here

My name is Oark. I was given birth

Two thousand years ago on the Planet Earth.

They froze me up and blasted me away

To a far away planet where I live today.

I'm sending out a message, loud and clear.

What I really need is some musical gear.

I don't use money. I don't have toys.

With two synthesizer modules I could make some noise.

A Quadraverb ll would be my first choice

To put a little reverb on this Martian voice.

I'm sending out a message, loud and clear.

Oh! No! The signal is fading.

Help me and I'll stop serenading.

I need some kind of Groovebox to keep the beat.

Get these Martian girls dancin' on their feet.

I got the bottom covered so I don't need a bass.

I mic the low frequencies in outer space.

I'm sending you a message, loud and clear.

© 2001 Greg Youngman Music

http://www.gymusic.com/Oark_1.jpg

This message has been edited by GY on 03-16-2001 at 04:38 PM

GY

dan,

don't need no groovebox 505

don't need no roland 990 jive

don't need no proteus, new or antique

don't need no quadraverb knobs to tweek

don't need no carvin bass round here

but i could use.... a cold case of beer.

Yo Phil, good lookin' out, mah brutha, but I'm a Mac Daddy. I don't really need one that badly (MIDI interface, that is), I just have this software from Logic that came bundled with the VS and was curious to try it out and see if it isn't a complete waste.

Yo, Dan, talk ta me before ya part w/da Roland mod, ok dawg?

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Yo, Oark! I was tempted to exclude you from the contest, since you're 2000 years old and you still haven't learned to save any money, but your song is way cool, so I'll let it slide this time. Could you please discuss how you recorded this track and list the musician credits (earth names, please, not space names)? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Yo, everybody else - check out Oark's song!!

I still can't believe that everyone is so hot for the Q2. I mean, it's nice, but it's not like I'm giving away a 480L (can't even afford one for myself!). I have some other older signal processing gear that I might be able to throw in for some of the runners up - don't get excited, it's very OLD stuff - but I don't want to discuss that until I stop taking entries (March 31st). I'll have to speak with each of you at greater length before I can make any decisions, so please be patient with me.

d gauss, alcohol is not good for you. You're on your own when it comes to brewskies. Appreciate you stoppin' by, though.

Curve, I won't make any decisions until we speak. I can tell you that you are definitely in consideration for the unit, because I think it would be a good fit for your music. I have to chat with some of the other entrants and check out their stuff, also, but we will definitely talk before any decisions are finalized.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hey, Oark...

How 'bout that! A novelty song! Don't hear many of those these days, with the occasional exception from Weird Al. We were just discussing that the other day...in the old days there were tons of novelty songs, nowadays, none. A dying genre.

Good luck in your quest for gear.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Craig; I am writing this because you said that you need a good home for your equipment. I played in a band years ago and I have recently started playing again. I really love playing guitar and have become very interested in the keyboard as well. I bought a guitar and have been playing since the end of the year. Most of my music is back in the Ventures era, but I have been broadening my music so I may play for the public again. I don't have a lot of money so when I heard of your offer it sounded to good to be true. I certainly can use that groove box. I plan on using that with a keyboard. If by a slim chance were picked to get your grove box I can assure you that it will never be sold. I will put it to a very good use. Thanks for your time.

zeke

------------------

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

Yo Phil, good lookin' out, mah brutha, but I'm a Mac Daddy. I don't really need one that badly (MIDI interface, that is), I just have this software from Logic that came bundled with the VS and was curious to try it out and see if it isn't a complete waste.

Yo, Dan, talk ta me before ya part w/da Roland mod, ok dawg?

Hey Curve, not a problem - I would have donated it to you, but since you're a Mac daddy, it would be of no use to you. I'll try not to hold the Mac affilliation against you! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif just kidding bro... it's all good. Actually, I REALLY wanted to reply to you to encourage you to check out that Logic VS software - will take you to a whole new level! If you think editing stuff on the VS880's hap, then you NEED to try it on the 'puter... will change your life my friend, and that's no cr*p!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

I'll try not to hold the Mac affilliation against you! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

It sounds like Custer is calling the Indians names here...... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan;

Just a minor update in my bid for that Carvin Bass.

If you've already listened to some of my music then this is

unimportant, if not,

I've pulled my music from MP3.COM but the same stuff is

at:

http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Rednecks_Bustin_Loose/

http://www.rollingstone.com/dds/artist.asp?artist=11716

Sorry for any inconvience

------------------

William F. Turner

Guitarist, Composer

>>MP3s suck! MP3.com really sucks! <<

More importantly those DAM CD's which I hoped might

be good enough for demos suck. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

My grandpa always said don't hang with the devil unless

he's got something you think you really need. if he don't,

split.

------------------

William F. Turner

Guitarist, Composer

I hadn't read your thread initially, and had just

assumed that you had a big heart and were looking to

donate gear to a charity -- and well, perhaps in a

manner of speaking, you are. I finally got around to

reading the gear that you have decided to donate to

some lucky person, and am quite impressed! I decided

that I wasn't going to participate because, although I

am not even close to rolling in money, I have enough

equipment to do the job (I have a four-string Ibanez

bass, some old analog synthesizers, and a Lexicon

LXP-15, for instance, all purchased used). However, I

have now decided to write and throw my hat in the

ring. This is because I have a friend who is the

coolest friend in the entire world, and has a Digitech

delay that he runs his contact mics through when he is

performing experimental music. He works as an

assistant at the same special education school that I

work at, and had to save up for months to purchase the

Digitech delay pedal, which enables him to manipulate

the sound quite a bit. I thought that if I won the

Quadraverb 2 effects, I would either give that to him,

or give him my original Quadraverb (I have some

programs on that Quadraverb that I am rather fond of,

so perhaps I would just give him the Q2 instead). We

perform experimental music together once in a while,

so I suppose this isn't a completely selfless

maneuver, but nevertheless, I wanted to let you know

why I am now going for the Quadraverb 2.

And to let you know that I am not just some chump who

is going to sell this on EBay or whatever, you can

hear my MP3s on MP3.com.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/68/nectar_la.html

http://www.mp3.com/elevenshadows

http://www.mp3.com/dither

You can also check out my web site, which should be on

my sig at the bottom of this email. Whether I win or

not, thank you very much for your kind offer!

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Turner,

No, I had not yet gotten around to downloading your MP3's, but I did visit your site at one point. Why do you - and others - feel that MP3.com sucks, other than the fact that MP3 sound quality leaves a lot to be desired? I ask, because I'm getting ready to post some of my own music online. Is there a superior alternative to MP3.com?

(I have a feeling that the flood gates are about to open...)

>>>Why do you - and others - feel that MP3.com sucks, other than the fact that MP3 sound quality leaves a lot to be desired? I ask, because I'm getting ready to post some of my own music online. Is there a superior alternative to MP3.com?<<<

My reasons for not wanting to have my stuff on MP3.Com are

mostly based upon personal beliefs and needs and probably

somewhat speculative.

My short story take on MP3.Com (I hope it's short http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif), is that

they came along awhile back and billed themselves as the savior

of the lil dog artist and the lil dogs flocked to their new

found savour in multitudes that, shocked the founder of MP3.Com,

MrRobertson and the whole music industry. MP3.Com suddenly found

itself with a endless cash cow, in advertising revenue

and also a vision of the new digital music era and the possibilities

of new ways to market music to the masses.

It's my belief that with the aquisition of all this cash and this new vision, instead of using his assets to make MP3.Com a true forum for

the lil dog independent or unsigned artist he in reality began to

see the possibility that he could turn MP3.Com in to the new big

record company of the new digital era. In effect his goals turned to

eventually becoming the big dog that he originally was offering all

the lil dogs haven from.

To kind of cover his real intentions, at the end of 1999 he started

the P4P (Pay For Playback) program throwing in a million bucks for

each quarter to the lil dogs and at the same time starting the MYMP3.Com

system which was the beginning of the distribution system he seen for the

future. The P4P system was kind of a screen thrown at the lil dogs so that

they in their excitement at the opportunity to scramble for a few bucks for

their music endeavors wouldn't pay much attention to what he was really trying to accomplish.

Of course, the Big Dogs, did notice, and as we seen during 2000, they came out of their warm and cosy coops, snarlin and bearin their Big Dog teeth.

I'm sure Mr Robertson, seen and expected all of this in his vision and

knew very well he'd have to negotiate to lay with the Big Dogs before he eventually became the Big Dog. I think everything that MP3.Com has went thru in the last year, year and half legally was part of their carefully

orchrestrated legal manuvuering for their business plan of the future.

In it all though I think they suffered two setbacks that they hadn't anticipated.

#1 It cost them alot more than they had planned to lay with the Big Dogs.

#2 The bottom fell out of the seemingly endless cash cow of internet/banner advertising.

They are now laying with the Big Dogs but they are very vulnerable cash flow wise and the Big Dogs would like nothing more than to bite them in the ass and get them the hell out of their coop.

Before I finish this, I'd like to make one point:

If you go to MP3.Com and find the list of their top P4P money earners,

it's evedident, wether I like their music or you like their music, that these artists have found something that people want to listen to and buy CD's of.

But you get away from those big money earners, you find tens of thousands of artist who are earning small time cash by networking or by what I

call "begging for downloads". In reality, most of those genre charts on

MP3.Com are not any kind of inclination of what a "music listening and buying" might want in this new digital age. 90% of what you find in those charts are there because those artists are the better networkers or "beggers".

In the days of the booming banner ad market, it didn't matter to MP3.Com

who was seeing those ads, Artist or shopper. But now that they have this big bill for laying with the Big Dogs and not much of an opportunity in

the advertising department, they have to find a way to get rid of alot of the lil dogs and attract more of the general music listening and SHOPPING

market. This has to be the ultimate goal if they're to become the new digital era Big Dog.

In effect, the lil dog in general ain't gonna be much use to them

in the future, but that's not to say there isn't some kind of group

of artists they can't make money off of in the future.

Hence they've started the $19.99 Premium Artist Service. You don't have

to join but to cram it down the artist throat they decided that the

lil dog couldn't be eligible for the P4P program if he doesn't join the PAS program. There's a list of benifits that an artist gets, the only one that might have been of value

to an artist is there will be no banner advertising on their site.

BUT... hehe http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif... the dirty dogs... in reality they're not generating all

that much advertising revenue. They can't generate $19.99 a month from an

individual site so they'll make the artist pay for the loss in revenue, take that $19.99 back from the P4P pot and use it to keep the Big Dogs from

biting them in the ass and hopefully start weeding out some of the lil dogs

and hopefully draw more music shoppers than makers and not go under for the time being. You can still put your music up for free but I'd bet that

will change soon.

To cut this short, this is way longer than I had intended, I had no

big expectations and or hopes by having my music on MP3.Com. I had hoped

the DAM CD thing might have turned out to be a nice "poor mans" way to

get some demo CD's in the future but they suck so really for the time

being all I need is storage space on the net, of which I have on other sites and by pulling my stuff from MP3.Com I feel good that in doing so

I'm not continuing to be one of the sheep that is feeding a hungry wolf.

If the present storage space dries up, I can get a lot of space at

my present IP for $19.99

------------------

William F. Turner

Guitarist, Composer

This message has been edited by wfturner@csonline.net on 03-20-2001 at 09:30 AM

One side note to the above:

One small milkbone of defense towards MP3.Com:

This internet revolution, this new world of endless

free flowing information ain't gonna stay free for

much longer. The big money companies will find a way

to make the masses pay for the information they need

or want as they have had to in the pass or they (big money)

will drop out and the imformation that is available might

be free but will be of lower quality and usefulness.

That's the reality of captialism.

------------------

William F. Turner

Guitarist, Composer

Okay crew, just over a week to go to for new entries. I'll need to spend some time chatting with some of you after the 3/31 deadline in order to finalize my decisions. To those of you who have submitted entries for friends, please have them post a message directly. I prefer to work with principals. I'd like them to tell me a little bit about what their studios and their objectives.

Thanks,

Dan

Originally posted by Tedster:

Well, actually, that's a little farfetched as well. He's actually an only child, his Dad is one of Kansas City's wealthiest men, but he's squandered his fortune shamelessly on women, gambling, and drink. He used to own 30 basses, many of them custom built, not to mention an enviable antique auto collection, but that was before his cocaine habit and his fourth wife took it all.

Tedster, you need to work a little harder, here. I'm not feelin' the LOVE for my bass.

Archived