Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M Audio Audiophile 2496 latency?

Hello,

I'm looking for info on this card since it looks like a real bargain. I know that with ASIO drivers the latency is pretty good. I use Cakewalk, and I wonder what latency I can expect with directX drivers. Any opinions?

TIA

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, the Audiophile has the same latencies as my DiO 24/96. With a PII350/256MB RAM, I get 8ms latency with the LinnPlug RM2 in Cubase. Practical latency varies with tracks, plugins, etc., and unless you have a very powerful computer, you will probably wind up changing your latency settings often. It is not necessary to always have ultra-low latency.

Oh- that's the Delta ASIO driver of course, read your post too quickly.

I get 46ms with "ASIO full-duplex DirectX driver".

This message has been edited by dadabobro@yahoo.com on 02-14-2001 at 01:38 PM

There is no real reason to use ASIO DirectX if you have a real ASIO driver available. This is should only be used when using a game card that doesn't support ASIO. With the Delta and most current audio cards it is very easy to get 10 ms or less latency with a real ASIO driver.

-Dylan

Originally posted by pcmcia:

Thanks dadabobro,

46 ms is the time it takes sound to travel about 160 meters....oh well....

Originally posted by pcmcia:

Thanks dadabobro,

46 ms is the time it takes sound to travel about 160 meters....oh well....

Uh, you might want to check your math here. Sound travels at different speeds depending on environmental conditions (temp / elevation above sea level / humidity, etc) but let's take the commonly used speed of 1,127 Feet Per Second. That means sound travels about 1.127 feet per millisecond (milli = 1,000, so 1,127 FPS divided by 1,000 = distance traveled per ms.) Divide your latency number (46 ms) by 1.127 for the actual answer, which is 40.816326 feet.

For real "quick and dirty" approximations, just figure that sound travels *about* 1 Ft / ms and therefore if you have 46 ms of delay, the distance traveled would be approximately 46 feet. That's a bit over 5 feet off the actual figure, but it's "in the ballpark".

46 ms is certainly enough latency to be quite noticable and very uncomfortable while tracking though, so I can understand your disappointment.

Sorry to get technical, but I thought this might be of use to some of you out there. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

This message has been edited by pokeefe777@msn.com on 02-16-2001 at 10:06 PM

Archived