Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what the hell is this called

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bruce Swedien has been using a similar technique when recording background vocals and choirs, although I suspect that he uses side-adress-type microphones on top of each other, in upright positions. He puts the upper mike up-side down closely above the lower mike. This technique is also great for figure-8 stereo recording.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

two omnis cant technically not face each other since sound is gathered from the entire sphere around the mic.

btw: im loving omnis right now, they sound so much better than cardoid when you are able to use them that way.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

This is an excellent mic placement technique for recording all kinds of acoustic instruments and voices, solo, and in ensemble, especially when you start toying with the distance between the two condensers in relation to the placement of the instruments, or vocalists, or both, in the room, and that room's dynamics. Basically, what you are doing when you set up two mics this way is you are setting up a "field of reception," and you can draw a graph between the two condensors in order to "see" that field. From there, it is a matter of considering the frequency response curves of those mics, in relation to the frequency production of the instrument(s) you want to record, in order to determine the proper balance. Balance is the key, and you must use your ears to determine this.

Peace out, and props ta Tejas.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Sorry, but Blumlein is two mics with figure-8 pattern, not omnis. The mics go set up like mats.olsson described, but more specificially in a way in which both "8s" (create this mental image) lie on top of each other, but one going north-south, and the other one east-west.

Couldn't figure out for the life of it how else to explain that. Let's see, the 8s intersect each other at 90 degrees. Maybe that was better.

artnoiser

Archived