Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody except me crazy enough to use QuadraFuzz as a mastering tool?

QuadraFuzz is a multiband DISTORSION software designed by a person that is not entirely foreign to us. (Hi Craig http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif )

It's just that recently I more or less by accident tried to use it on an entire mix... and it just ROCKED.

Put all dials at zero, Click the green "edit" arrow and put all frequency bands initially at 0db and the lightest distorsion type. Then twiddle frequency ranges and boosts.

Mmm. Bliss. To me at least.

Has anyone else tried it?

/Z

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Master Zap, for another cool thing to try.

Haven't done this (I will though), but I almost always run distortion on my drum loos in Acid. Makes 'em nice and crunchy.

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Sorry Zap. Now that you have revealed the secret of the Quadrafuzz, you will have to be shot.

You can treat it like a multiband EQ with just a hint of distortion and it will in fact fatten things up big-time. It's a hoot on drums, too. But it works only for certain types of program material, and a little goes a long way.

The reason why it works is because of how it splits the signal into 4 bands. That way you don't get that horrible intermodulation stuff you'd get with a traditional distortion plug-in. In fact the whole reason the QFuzz plug-in exists is because I told Steinberg I didn't like their Red Valve-It, and one thing led to another...

"Fatten things up Big Time" is quite right.

Heck, exciters are just band distorsion units. Many bass enhancers are just, uh, band distorsion units. So why not enhance the whole shebang with a bucket of, uh, band distorsion units?

I dunno I just luuve nonlinear amplification. As a matter of fact my first ever VST plugin that I wrote from the VST sdk is just that, a nonlinear amp, stolen out of Stomper no less http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

/Z

Archived