Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey VMP-2 Pre-Amp, Help! Please!

I plunked down some cash for a Peavey vmp-2 pre-amp after hearing all the wonderful things about it and Well, I', not hearing what the rave reviews are all about.

Unfortunately, I had to special order it because there were none in stock to check out so I didn't get to hear before I buy like I do with everything I buy. I figured the way everyone described it that it would be the answer to my prayers but I'm not hearing it.

For one,when I plug a synth or drum module in the 1/4 inch connectors on the front panel there is a instant noise floor, I can plug in a non-active bass Guitar and no problem but anything with electronics and it's instant noise.

I plugged my AKG 414 in the back XLR and the noise floor wasn't there but nothing stood out as being "warm" or "creamy" to me. The stock pre's in my Spirit Folio SX soundboard sound the same as what I'm getting from the VMP-2 and I have no noise floor like i do when I'm connecting to the VMP-2 front panel.

Please tell me my ears aren't trained enough and what to listen to in particular because I'm not hearing what the fuss is about. I really don't want to own a $675.00 boat anchor. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif And if you don't have any suggestions does anyone want to buy it?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard one and wouldn't risk a purchase until I heard it because some people rave about it and some say it ain't all that. One important characteristic of a pre is how tracks recorded on it interact in a mix. Record a demo with it and see if you notice an increase in detail, clarity and space around the tracks. Does your song breathe a little better? It's subtle, but you will know. If it doesn't please your ears after you've spent some quality time with it, ditch it.

Oh, and as an afterthought, I don't know of many pres that will make a 414 sound warm and creamy.

This message has been edited by fuzzface30@hotmail.com on 01-05-2001 at 02:42 PM

concerning the previous post: while the Peavey VMP-2 is no Manley, for $675 or whatever you pay for it, it's actually a darn fine unit. It makes me think that Peavey made an accident and churned out a good product...

Responding to the original post: I've literally plugged everything in to the Peavey, and have had no problems with buzzes, additional noise, etc. The last thing I actually did was run an entire digital stereo mix through it to use the EQ and soften it up a little, and it actually worked pretty well. I've run a couple of synthesizers and a bass through there with no problems. As a mic preamp, it seems to power my AT4060 and other mics just fine. I wish I could offer a suggestion for you, but I don't know -- I've never had a problem with mine at all!!! I'm *extremely* happy with it.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As someone who really likes the VMP-2, I must say I concur with Ken's post. I've thrown a ton of stuff through, and it hasn't let me down. One example, of putting electronic drums though it, is a staple of my seminars.

I think there may be some kind of input problem. Try using the rear panel ins, or putting the unit in some insert jacks. Experiment before you give up. Also, when using the instrument input, hit it with a fair amount of level. It wants that.

Archived