Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acid and Giga on a laptop?

Is it possible to run Acid and GigaSampler on a laptop? What kind of sound card, break out box and MIDI interface would I need? Can I unplug from the external devices and use headphones only while traveling? Is this likely to be a hassle free setup, or am I in for a lot of aggravation?

I would be purchasing a new laptop for this application, so I can spec it as needed. Any thoughts or experiences would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who runs Acid on a laptop with only 64 MB RAM. He uses the Ego Sys WAMI interface and the whole thing runs smooth as silk.

Gigasampler is a somewhat different deal because you need a ton of RAM, just like a keyboard sampler. But I have no experience with running it on a laptop.

Dan,

You can get away with good results running Giga with 128 MB RAM. I'm not sure about the "laptop" part of the equation, but in order to run another audio program with giga, you're going to need a sound card that has at least two sets of outputs (a stereo pair for Acid and a stereo pair for Giga). I'm not sure what mulit-output cards exist in the laptop world, but barring such a card and a reasonably fast hard disk, you shouldn't have a problem.

-E

Archived