Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So You Made a CD...Then What?

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I tend to get defensive and protective of peeps who've gone the extra mile to help me realize my work.

This is quite understandable; I'm the same way. But I think you would make your point better by pointing out all the good things they've done for you, rather than attacking those who had a different experience. After all, I did go out of my way to point out that my experience probably wasn't the same as everyone's--it was just my little data point. 'Nuff said, and let's shake.

As far as selling goes, I know in my heart that alpha is right, but I'm too uninterested in promotion (or, more likely, too lazy) to get out there and do it. By the time a CD is done, I'm sick of it already and moving on to new stuff. (I have no live act, either.) So I concentrate instead on doing good work and keeping costs down. That makes me a hobbyist, but I can live with that. Music really is its own reward.

Interestingly, I have had an offer from a label recently. I still haven't decided whether or not to accept it, since it would require going back to a style that I was doing five years ago; but it shows that there are a few crazy people out there willing to take a chance on an unknown. (Whether it would sell is an open question, but at least I wouldn't have to pay for the pressing.)

If you want to hear the tune that got me the offer, check out

http://www.mp3.com/TangoUniform

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>>Curve,

Discussing anything with you is obviously a complete waste of time, since you can't or won't read what I say, or say what you mean.

Best of luck in your chosen career.<<

i'll agree with this 100% minus the well-wishing.

apparently my opinion isn't valid to curve so i'll try to restate it for everyone else. (the temptation looms to just fire away at mr. alpha male but i'll keep it squashed... for now).

i think there are far better dupe houses to go to. disc makers has the niche covered of offering up handholding/babysitting/98 page 4 color catalogs/ package deals/ yaddi yaddi yaddi. and you pay dearly for this service, not only by getting what i consider to be at best a fair-to-partly-cloudy product, but by getting trapped in the red tape of a company that's really too big to give you that much personal attention.

if you're not at all interested or completely uninformed about the process of duplicating a cd/tape/record and wish to stay that way, they're great. joe hobbyist and his album of christian children's songs isn't going to want to deal with a plant who's catalog fits on 2 sheets of paper and simply says "films must be 133lpi, 1/4" cropped w/ registration marks".

but who in this business doesn't want to save money? you can get your inserts printed elsewhere for cheap, ship them to the plant and pay .02/per insertion. you can go to a good local print shop and get your films cut for next to nothing. you can use a local artist who's trying to do the same thing in design as you are in music and save a bunch there (or do it yourself!).

at the end of the day, that's the route i tend to take. i have no ill-will to discmakers, but i'll never use them again and i encourage people to look elsewhere unless they're completely clueless.

judson snell

slangmusicgroup

judson snell

slang music group

chicago, il

Thank you, Assfatigue, for another barrage of bullshit, completely lacking in specifics, most likely because you really do not know what the f*ck you are talking about, do you?

>>i encourage people to look elsewhere<<

As if anyone would listen to a small-time drunk like you. Good luck with rehab.

>>you can get your inserts printed elsewhere for cheap! ship them to the plant and pay .02/per insertion! you can go to a good local print shop and get your films cut for next to nothing! you can use a local artist who's trying to do the same thing in design as you are in music and save a bunch there! (or do it yourself!).<<

Bitch, bitch, bitch...you sound like an old lady, going around low-balling everyone in town 'cause you got no bank. Damn, being on your label sounds about as much fun as an all-night dentist's office. "Slang Music -Where You Never Get Paid!" or "We're Cheap - And It Shows!"

See you in the funny papers, ya joke.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

good luck in your career, mr. dominant.

you've got more issues than a waiting room.

it doesn't hurt very much taking unjustified and unfounded insults from some afrocentric misanthrope who can't put his mpc down long enough to leave an email address or real name.

i'm sure there's more coming from you. and i'll read it. i'm not responding so make it good. gotta make sure all those people reading an internet discussion forum know what a hard ass you are. in other words END

judson snell

slang music group

judson snell

slang music group

chicago, il

missed a word there, sorry.

i meant to say...

....it doesn't hurt very much taking unjustified and unfounded insults from some afrocentric misanthrope HACK who can't put his mpc down long enough to leave

an email address or real name.....

okay, now i'm done.

judson snell

slang music group

judson snell

slang music group

chicago, il

Justan Assfatigue Smell is a playa hata. Don't mind that little bitch. She buried 300 vinyls & she still got a rod up her ass. Ya gotta PROOF them suckas, girl! Play before ya pay! Don't badmouth those who sucka you, ya got only yourself ta blame, sucka.

Ya done yet, girl?

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

braniac,

email me personally about it. i'd have done the same but you don't leave that up for public knowledge.

i stand behind my credentials and opinions at least as much to put that up to public offer.

t3mul3nt@aol.com

judson snell

slang music group

p.s. have you noticed i've done you the courtesy to not go out of my way to insult you personally yet? i'm trying to keep this about the topic.

judson snell

slang music group

chicago, il

man, this is ridiculous. you've been blowing up on everybody who disagreed with your opinion of discmakers after misreading their post to begin with. you act like you work for discmakers or something. most people here are in agreement that they have had bad experiences with them. its great you had a good dealing with them. but now this isnt even close to the topic at hand which is what to do AFTER you have CD's made. puhleez, take the arguement outside if you must continue.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

so what IS everybody doing once they get their CD's pressed?

i have posted some of the things i do and they have worked out well for me. there is the notion of them simply sitting in ones basement which as far as i can tell is the WORST thing that can happen [unless you really dont like it and dont want anybody to hear it]. it seems to me that instead of having them sit in your basement, wouldnt it be better to just give them away? my last band which i posted about above regarding making its way to NYC was ONLY sold locally [we only gave a FEW away to close friends and sold the rest] in the DC area. now its only 4 hours to NYC from there but thats a pretty good case for the idea that these plastic discs can TRAVEL.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Curve: Justan Assfatigue Smell started it, tho.

Ear: Did not!

Curve: Did too!

Ear: Did not, did not, did not!

Curve: DID TOO, DID TOO, DID TOO!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

and to all a good night......

Seriously though, that whole "argument" I just read was pathetic. Two different guys visit a company, expecting certain services. One walks out happy, one doesn't.

Fine.

Why the personal insults and weak posturing?

Nothing looks more juvenile and unprofessional than that bullshit. If you have issues with someone - email them!

Or, make them look stupid with facts and witty remarks about their mom. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Whatever - have a good Christmas or whatever you celebrate. Jebuz frowns on hostility you know. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

One thing I've thought of is "reverse shoplifting"--every time I go to the record store, dropping a couple of CDs in the Misc. W bin. I'm not sure what would happen if anyone actually took a copy up to the register, though, especially since I don't use bar codes.

One guy I heard about used to leave his tapes on top of the urinals in various clubs downtown. Not sure I'd pick one up myself...

>>that whole "argument" I just read was pathetic.<<

Really? I found it quite informative - and highly amusing! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

In all seriousness folks, the point I was trying to make before I got sidetracked by Mr. J. A. Smell was this: you've got to plan all that stuff out BEFORE you cut your release, or else those suckas are gonna end up piled in your basement, guaranteed. In other words, you've got to sell your CDs before you make them, by doing market research, compiling lists of possible points-of-sale, doing advance promotion (gigs), etc. Radio airplay is a must. The sh*t never hit the fan so hard as when my first home-made release got played on a commercial radio station here in Philly. People were calling me at home asking where they could find the CD, and I had an unlisted number! Go out and find DJs & stations that are willing to support you when your release is still in pre-production; have those in-store performances booked six weeks before you officially release the disc, so you can do advance P.R. to monthly as well as weekly & daily press. Book a CD release party at the biggest space you can find, and promote the f*ck out of it (& make sure there's plenty of honeys there). That's how you move 'em.

If you don't have the energy for all that, your best bet is to hook up with a local indie label that will do that stuff for ya; a lot of folks (myself included) went the DIY route for a first release, used that to build a buzz, and moved on to the indie stage. Don't go right to majors tho - that's a whole other rat-race. If ya cut it with yer indie, they can hook you up right with a major, 'cause you're already in demand at that point. This is the "one step at a time" approach.

By the way, Tim, I listened to your stuff and it's very cool; maybe not what's at the top of the pop charts currently, but there's a couple of bands in Philly that play in that vein and do quite well, one led by my buddy Lou Fuiano called The Gone Combo. I don't know where you're located, but that sound is still in small but loyal demand on the East Coast, SanFran, N.O., etc. If you could work a funky vocalist (perhaps female?) in to just one or two tunes, there's a big acid-jazz audience that would eat that stuff up.

"When you're stylin' / when you're stylin' / the whole world styles with you..."

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

"One thing I've thought of is "reverse shoplifting"--every time I go to the record store, dropping a couple of CDs in the Misc. W bin. "

i've thought of this too with 'steal this disc' written big across the from just to fuck with the stores. i might just do that next set of releases i have with a couple of them.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Archived