Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are tubes dead?

<<

into the Amp In on the two amps, bypassing the pre-amps, but getting

plenty of poweramp tube overdrive when they're pushed by the POD. It's

really warm and gives the best live POD sound IMHO. I've A/B'd this with

their own solid state amps, and no question to my ears the POD / Tube

amp is superior.>>>

I do the same thing except with a Marshall combo (I use the effects return). The POD/tube power amp is the way to go.

I really love tube amps. I think that Whirlwinds factory should be able to keep going. So I think that tubes will be hear for a long time. I am gald that Line6 and other modelling companies are out there. I use Line6 stuff alot. You can't beat them for auditions amd small clubs when you aren't sure of the size of the room. I use a Marshall everytime I can, but 65-7O% I use either a Line6 ASYS 2 or the POD/tube power amp combination.

Buddy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>also if you think tubes are dead check svetlanta or sovtech to name a few <<

But how long will companies continue to manufacture tubes if only musicians and audiophiles use them (which will soon be the case)? I just don't see that as a big enough market.

Doh!!!! - While reading through this thread I realized how much I depend on tubes ("valves" for the English out there..).

I wouldn't live without my 1962 Vox AC30/6, Musicman 100-RP and Fender Bassman 100.

I embrace (or at least try to) digital technology and use it on a daily basis but any kind of demise of the tube would be tragic as far as I'm (and a hell of alot of others) concerned.

There will always be a way of getting replacement valves but at what price?

Unfortionately it's slowly becoming an expensive hobby to own tube amps, etc. because of the extortion-type prices being asked AND paid for this equipment.

All of this is like owning a model "T"..... If you need the parts, you'll end up paying the price. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

*Wonder if there's gonna be a big rush for tubes now? --- I'll chuck-in my $5.00! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

>> But how long will companies continue to manufacture tubes <<

most of the die hard tube people i know figure if theres still a market now (long after the transistor took over) the will continue to be enough interest to sustain the market. i hope there right however i might add these same people have shitloads of tubes stashed just in case. moral of story, make good freinds wit an audiophile with a large supply just in case!

I think the tube situation is a lot better than it was say 15 years ago.Not only are the tubes I need readily available to me from several convenient sources,but the tube gear of recent manufacture is more intelligently designed and does more with less weight and wiring.If you ask me,things are looking up.BTW,I think the Pod and other modeling devices sound great,when you put a tube amp/preamp in the chain!

<

musicians and audiophiles use them (which will soon be the case)? I just

don't see that as a big enough market.>>

This is one of the reasons that I was so glad that the Line6 (and other companies) came out with the physical modelling things. Over the years I had tried other tube emulation schemes and they never panned out until physical modelling. Does it sound better than my favorite Marshall or Fender? No, but it sounds better than some Marshalls or Fenders that I have played (some the same models that I have).

The main reason I have always checked out the tube emulation stuff is the realization that one day tubes may not be around. I hope this is never the case, but I remember when you could go to any 7-11 and buy tubes--they even had testing machines! My advice is to at least have something like a Line6 Flextone or something as a backup.

Buddy

Archived