Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Craig-- I've been reading EQ for years and have had a Home Studio almost as long. I'm now using twin Fostex CX-8 machines and a Mackie 24/8 to mix through a tc electronic 96k Finalizer going to DAT with Sony SBM on a Sony PCM-R500 (in other words, no computer). Then for my final CD product, I go direct from DAT to two CDR real-time burners. I have a Marantz CDR620 and a fairly new Tascam CDRW 5000.

Problem is, after nearly a year of trouble free CD dupes, Now the CDR 620 won't recognize track increments and the CDRW 5000 is giving intermittent problems on say, track 9 or 10, causing me to reject several CD's during quality check.

I have an imac DV special edition (400 mghz) with a 10 gig drive and 128 MB of RAM with an 8x firewire Que Drive (QPS525) CD burner for my graphics applications. MY question: How can I load the current CD project into the imac and burn my audio CDs on the Que Drive? (It came with Adaptec Toast 4.1) Will this work as well as the CDR 620 used to be for fully red book compatable CD product to sell? ...or should I just get the 620 & CDRW 5000 checked out and/or repaired?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Perry

jimperry@dailycommercial.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before you go too nuts, make sure the problem isn't a dirty lens. This is especially likely if you smoke in your studio (or your studio's located above a spare ribs restaurant ). I've used lens cleaners from time to time, which has resurrected drives given up for dead.

Well, real time vs. 2x, 4x...should not make any difference, BUT, it could, depending on the brand/quality of blank media. Some blanks might like a specific burning speed,

The other issue is the difference in AD converters. If you take them out of the equation, then the other issues are the Disk-at-Once and TOC.

You can not do Disk-at-Once with a stand alone burner because it first records all the tracks before it can the TOC. With a computer burner and appropriate software you can do Disk-at-Once which FIRST writes the TOC then the tracks.

If your goal is to create a "glass master" to be sent to a dupe plant for many identical clones, this is what is needed.

The stand alone will not make "identical" multiple copies or a true "glass master" because it will not write the TOC first and also never place the start IDs EXACTLY the same way for every run, but that might not be an issue for you.

Otherwise, digital to digital should always be the same, but I must say that over the last few months there have been several threads about people hearing differences in their digital to digital copies so...

Did I leave anything out?

Miroslav

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I think I'm using good media (TDK CDR74). There are no AD converters in the loop. When Thanks for your response. When I mix from Analog, I use the A/D converters in my Finializer going to DAT, then digital SPDIF from there on. No additional conversions. I don't need a "glass master" because I'm actually selling the "one-offs" as product. Can you help with specific software/soundcard requirements to get my existing digital DAT master into my imac? If I could accomplish that, then I would use TOAST 4.1 to drop it on the firewire drive to burn my CDR copies. Right? or not?

Originally posted by jimperry:

...specific software/soundcard requirements to get my existing digital DAT master into my imac? If I could accomplish that, then I would use TOAST 4.1 to drop it on the firewire drive to burn my CDR copies. Right? or not?

I have not used Mac software for some time to give you specific brand names, but I would think any 2 channel audio editing software and a compatible SPDIF soundcard would get you there.

Or, couldn't you use the Toast to make CD to CD copies? Just create one "master" CD on your stand alone burner, insert that audio CD into your iMac, make a copy of it to your hard drive and then burn away with Toast.

Again I am not up on the latest Mac stuff, but it should not be much more complicated than that???

Miroslav

[This message has been edited by miroslav (edited 12-07-2000).]

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived