Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB MIDI Interfaces

Anyone out there using USB MIDI interfaces? Word on the street is that timing is much worse than serial port-based interfaces. The one exception is the Emagic/MOTU/Steinberg type where they buffer the MIDI data to give far more accurate timing than was previously unobtainable with other types of interfaces, serial or standard USB. So my question is:

Is anyone using the "hi-res" USB interfaces?

If you're using a standard USB interface, does the timing waver?

Are you tired of having to switch over to a new interface family anyway?!?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone out there using USB MIDI interfaces? Word on the street is that timing is much worse than serial port-based interfaces. The one exception is the Emagic/MOTU/Steinberg type where they buffer the MIDI data to give far more accurate timing than was previously unobtainable with other types of interfaces, serial or standard USB. So my question is:

Is anyone using the "hi-res" USB interfaces?

I'm using a MOTU MIDI Express XT USB with Digital Performer on a G4/400. The timing is tight (although I occasionally have some unproducable rhythmic glitches here and there), but quite honestly, I don't find it to be any tighter than when I was using a MOTU Pocket Express (serial) on a PowerMac 7200. Maybe my ears just aren't fine-tuned enough to hear it, but I can't feel/hear the difference. I'm by no means dissatisfied with it -- the timing sounds perfect to me -- I just don't hear it as being better than my old system.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Anderton:

Anyone out there using USB MIDI interfaces?

Hi Craig,

I have used the midiman MIDISPORT 2x2 for a while now with a Mac G4/400 running Cubase VST 5.0 and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the timing after all the bad press USB has received. I actually find the timing better than my old serial interface. The USB i/f is not as tight as the VSTi however.

Best regards,

Mats Nermark

C'mon people, how about some more replies. I'm gonna be buying an interface in a week or so and sure would be nice to know if there are problems before I get one.

Is there really a huge advantage to usb over serial or parrallel?? Just now getting into using a computer for this so I don't have a clue. As was mentioned above everything I've read about usb is pretty much negative.

Hey guys & gals,

I'm using MOTU MIDI-Timepiece AV USB on my Mac G3 B&W with DP 2.72. I'm having no problems with timing. In fact I think it's tighter than a frogs ass over a garbage truck!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dennis

Graffiti Studio

"Show me the proof and THEN I'll believe you"

• 3 weeks later...

I have several MIDI interfaces on several computers. The two USB units I have are a Tascam US-428 and a MIDIman midisport 2X2. Both seem to work well and timing seems about as good as my MOTU units, but I've never tested them. Haveta try that sometime just to satisfy my curiosity (THANKS for giving me that idea... all I need in life is an additional task or 1,200 http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif ), but the Tascam has some problems with the current drivers and the web forum at their company website is full of complaints. Mine took some sussing out to get working right, but I have no complaints now. New drivers are due any day now, and should cure a lot of the ills including some audio latency problems.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

I'm using a MIDISPORT 2x2 USB on a Pentium 500 PC. I love it! I primarily use it to transfer music I've composed on my Palm Pilot, but It's also great for plugging in my MIDI keyboard. In fact, I'm getting better results from this than I am from the serial port on my Soundblaster Live Soundcard.

No complaints whatsoever.

Regards,

Shaky Tee

Jeez, sorry about all the unkind things I might've said about USB. I read recently that with USB the "packets" get bunched up & out of sequence or some sh*t. Thing is, on my graphex rig, I've got a USB Agfa scanner and a USB six-color printer, and they both work as fast and smooth and accurate as a Tokyo subway, so go figgya.

Anyone out there using FireWire MIDI interface?

This message has been edited by Curve Dominant on 01-05-2001 at 02:53 AM

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I've got a USB Agfa scanner and a USB six-color printer, and they both work as fast and smooth and accurate as a Tokyo subway, so go figgya.

Wow! I've ridden that subway, and that's quite a compliment to USB! I've been hedging for the same reasons - I've heard that it's unreliable. Anyone using Logic on a Mac with a USB MIDI Timepiece? That's my target setup.

• 2 months later...

<

dansouth--I assume by MIDI Timepiece you are referring to the MOTU interfaces. FYI, I've seen a lot of posts on the Logic Users Group (LUG) from people having trouble getting the USB MOTU MIDI interfaces to work properly with Logic. I would recommend using Emagic's own USB MIDI interfaces (Unitor8, AMT8) with Logic, particularly because they are the only ones which support Logic's AMT technology for better MIDI timing precision.

Alternatively, you could buy a Stealth (www.geethree.com) serial port for the G4 and use one of the older Mac non-USB MIDI interfaces. This was mentioned on the LUG by one of Emagic's programmers so it ought to work fine under OS 9.x. However, it is unclear at what level Apple will support use of old-style (ie non-USB) serial ports under OS X.

I've tried for a while to make music with my Dell Dimension R450 running Logic Audio Platinum, MOTU's 2408 and a midi sport USB midi interface and quite frankly I almost lost my sanity...nothing worked right. So I got fed up one day, when my wife was away out East, I went to the store and purchased a brand new G4/400, put 192 MB of ram to start, returned the midi sport and got a USB Emagic AMT 8, exchange my Logic Platinum Windows for a Mac version, took me about 2 hrs to set everything up And I'm the happiest guy on earth since! Everything's fine, the timing is bang on and I'm already using 6 out of the 8 ports on the AMT 8. Life is beautiful!!!

Originally posted by Anderton:

Uh... phuck, yeah?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I've been thinking about the MOTU USB for timing reasons (never HAVE liked MIDI timing worth beans) but that means I gotta say so long to TWO Opcode Studio 4s! Oh... and get a G4. I've thought of maybe keeping at least one Studio 4 for parts that I would assume to be strings, brass, pads, and so forth, but be sure that the new USB interface was handling piano, organ & drums; in other words, parts where real-time needs to really BE real-time.

GVox has FINALLY come back out with an upgraded Master Tracks Pro (this time with 960 PPQN if you choose), and I think I will have to give it a go. No real digital audio, but the whole Master Tracks Pro linear paradigm still appeals to me.

I've been using a MOTU MTP AV USB and have found it to be as solid as a rock both ways (serial and USB). I think USB sounds a little tighter, but it's so close that I may just be hearing what I WANT to hear.

I've never gotten clicks and glitches using MAS, but I'm running it over Digi hardware.

Archived