Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DRUM MACHINES

Have fun with the Roland, and remember: after the rush of checking it out wears off, read the manual (even if it is in Rolandese). Most of these boxes have all kinds of cool functions that are not intuitively obvious!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOAHHH!!! This thread sure did get outta control! Poor Mr. Morigeau probably got a little more than he asked for, but congrats & happy grooving with the 770! Now as for all that other stuff...

<> Thank you, Quantum, I couldn't have said it better. I think peeps like myself who live and work in notheastern urban centers take for granted the norm that electronic percussion tools have become. Lyrics and musical ideas will always be in flux and at the whim of the artist, but creating danceability is an objective craft...in other words, either you get the bootys movin', or you DON"T get the bootys movin'. Traditional rock musicians tend to view electronic dance music with condescendsion, and so they seem to feel left out and chagrined by the current explosion of its popularity around the globe. I thought it was telling that Jimmy Page, one of the most artisically creative rock musicians ever, chose to collaborate with Puff Daddy (even if Puffy's rhymes are kinda lame). It demonstrates how true artists do not stay married to one mode of expression. Page once said in an interview in the 70s that as far as he was concerned, Led Zep's music was "the folk music of the industrial age." Well, as far as I'm concerned, urban electronic dance music is the folk music of the information age; its cut-and-paste collage-like quality reflects the nature of our times. As with any transformative era, there will be those who will feel left back, and voice their contempt for the new paradigm. Morigeau's willingness to venture into the new territory by learning the new tools is an admirably artistic initiative, and it speaks well of him.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

i think jimmy page was probably just drunk and needed some booze money http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif god did they fuck up that song. during puffy's i have no original idea in my head so ill do cover songs stage.

I LOVE DRUM MACHINES. I LOVE DRUMMERS. I LOVE ELECTRONIC MUSIC. I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL. expand horizons.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by DBENNVA@hotmail.com:

Lee,

In reference to what you said on page one.

"The engineer,& producer are there to serve the artist". Yeah in some respects. But if you're trying to sell records then the artist/player, engineer, & producer are there to serve the buying public with what it likes in musical tastes. And a whole lot of stuff thats on the Billboard 200 is sequenced with drum machine/modules. Just giving you a realty check from the producers point of view.

Well, a producer is an artist too. Who's driving the car here? Are producers and artists just pandering to whatever's on the charts, or can producers and artists set the tone for what's gonna be the NEXT big thing on the charts?

The answer is obviously, either or both. Obviously if you're a producer and your client wants a particular sound cuz it's "what's on the charts", then you either have to do that or not take on that client. On the other hand, what real artist wants to blindly follow what's on the charts? The charts are littered with followers, but there are usually a few leaders too.

In other words you don't HAVE to follow what's on the charts to be successful. If you LIKE what's on the charts and that's what you want to do, great! If you don't like what's on the charts but you are actually willing to change your art to get on the charts, that's just a cop out.

--Lee

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

I think peeps like myself who live and work in notheastern urban centers take for granted the norm that electronic percussion tools have become.

Hmm, so "northeastern urban centers" define what is the "norm" in music? Gee, I wasn't aware of that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I live in a "southeastern urban center" (Atlanta). The hip hop scene here is HUGE obviously, but there is plenty of room for everything else too. And why should anyone care about a "norm" anyway? I thought art was about challenging "norms".

Lyrics and musical ideas will always be in flux and at the whim of the artist, but creating danceability is an objective craft...in other words, either you get the bootys movin', or you DON"T get the bootys movin'.

Yeah, but there are a hundred ways to get bootys movin'. Heck, around here there are still young people dancing to swing and ballroom music. It's become "trendy". We also have an African percussion movement (even an African ballet, a fairly big reggae and ska scene, etc.

I imagine most urban centers are the same. And in rural centers (not to mention Nashville), people shake their booties to country and bluegrass.

Trying to lump "dance music" into one big category doesn't exactly cut it.

Traditional rock musicians tend to view electronic dance music with condescendsion, and so they seem to feel left out and chagrined by the current explosion of its popularity around the globe. I thought it was telling that Jimmy Page, one of the most artisically creative rock musicians ever, chose to collaborate with Puff Daddy (even if Puffy's rhymes are kinda lame). It demonstrates how true artists do not stay married to one mode of expression.

I agree, artists should keep moving forward and re-inventing themselves. I'm in the middle of that process myself. I DON'T agree that we all need to use the same tools to do it, or that we all need to move forward in the same direction. Jimmy Page may have done something with Puff Daddy but he has also worked with Egyptian string players, Morrocan percussionists, full symphony orchestras, Celtic players, etc.

Whatever works is good. Nobody needs to feel "left back". There is room for whatever anybody wants to do. Purveyors of electronic dance music may feel like "THE" New Guard but they are only "A" New Guard. Especially in the Internet age, where people can indulge whatever their own idiosyncratic tastes are, many people refuse to have their tastes dictated to them, and I feel that attitude will continue to grow.

There is more than one way to create the future.

--Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee Flier (edited 11-15-2000).]

Originally posted by alphajerk:

how is painting not a physical activity. i know for a fact there is a HUGE similarity between making muusic and making paintings having done both for the majority of my life. they are actually the exact same thing aside from one being aural and one being visual. and i have acutally seen performance painters so you cant claim that the performance is different between the two. i cant tell you how exciting watching a vision come to life right before your eyes. its amazing.

That is true, and I love performance painters too. I think you know what I really meant though, which is that once a painting is done it's done and it is not customary for artists to go on tour doing the same painting over and over again http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif, interpreted different ways (not that I wouldn't love to see that), or for other painters to re-do an artist's previous work and do it differently.

Maybe physical was the wrong word (although playing music DOES have a physical element not present in most writing - graffitti, calligraphy etc. notwithstanding), music is also temporally different from other arts, like we talked about on a different thread. The composition of a painting or a novel is the whole thing; whereas with music, a composition keeps evolving as it is performed by different people, or by the same people many times. So the "author" or "painter" of a piece of music is not the only important factor. But we've been down that road before. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

"...whereas with music, a composition keeps evolving as it is performed by different people, or by the same people many times..."

i know you already know this but its called art movements, like surrealism, dada, cubism, etc. it is basically the same thing over and over by different artists. then there are masterworks. painting a picture is just like the studio aspect of music. the information on the cd doesnt change over time. and usually some painter comes up with a new technique and many follow. its so similar to music. except one uses the front of the brain and one uses the back on the brain.

but i know what you are getting at. sometimes with analogies, you have to bend a little to see the similarities. and its not unknown for say a painting to influence your music, and vice versa.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Originally posted by alphajerk:

"Never have liked King Crimson at all."

Bill Bruford rules! He is a cyborg drum machine secret NASA research project that Fripp got in trade for some fractal research he assisted with in the late 60s.

The current version on tour is Bruford 10.6a, as he is routinely rebuilt (hence the band's irregular recording and touring schedule) to continue to one-up the less expensive beat-boxes on the market.

At times, Fripp loans him out to Yes and other groups to beta test new features before cutting him loose on the ever more complex King Crimson material.

The Borg recharging alcoves on Star Trek Voyager were modeled from Bruford's "bedroom".

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

>>painting a picture is just like the studio aspect of music. the information on the cd doesnt change over time.<<

How true. This is getting off topic, but sometimes I've thought of doing a "special project" CD. This would be the same collection of tunes, but recut every 5 years of so using different technologies, different outlooks, what I'd learned in the past 5 years, etc. It would probably sell 14 copies (I think I have that many friends ) but might be kinda interesting.

What a great idea Craig! I know there are some people who, when they do "Greatest Hits" repackages or whatever, they actually re-cut some or all of the songs instead of just re-releasing the originals. Of course, the results vary wildly. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif But I think it's a terrific idea and sometimes you end up topping the original.

--Lee

Originally posted by Anderton:

This is getting off topic, but sometimes I've thought of doing a "special project" CD. This would be the same collection of tunes, but recut every 5 years of so using different technologies, different outlooks, what I'd learned in the past 5 years, etc. It would probably sell 14 copies (I think I have that many friends ) but might be kinda interesting.

Hey Craig! I'll buy one. Maybe you can offer a subscription plan a la Microsoft.

This is an interesting concept. I'll bet that the sound of each new version will improve in some ways, but it may loose something, too. Remember that guitars and mics from the 50's are still in vogue today, not to mention basses from the 60's and boards from the 70's. On the plus side, your production skills have probably improved over time. On the minus side, you undoubtedly felt more passionate about the material the first time you recorded it.

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>painting a picture is just like the studio aspect of music. the information on the cd doesnt change over time.<<

How true. This is getting off topic, but sometimes I've thought of doing a "special project" CD. This would be the same collection of tunes, but recut every 5 years of so using different technologies, different outlooks, what I'd learned in the past 5 years, etc. It would probably sell 14 copies (I think I have that many friends ) but might be kinda interesting.

would that be like disney does with fantasia? pretty cool idea.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

re: this special project...sounds interesting. I thought of something similar when viewing the series of cathedral paintings that Monet did...that it would be cool to do a remix at midnight, one in the morning etc. or maybe not.

YO MORIGEAU:

I'm up here in Illadelph toolin' on some PHREAKEE sh*t w/my Korg Electribe, just illin out some phestive grooves, totally blissin' out, right? And it suddenly occurs to me - MY MAN MORIGEAU IS TRIPPIN ON HIS NEW BEATBOX!!! And I was overcome with joy at the thought of what it must be like with that first beatbox! It's like being a virgin, and you score that first jiggy-jiggy, brotha, that feeling! I'm so proud of you & happy for ya playa! GROOOOVVVE ON!!!!!

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Archived