Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

lock, loop or not?

Hi Craig,

I have a client that has a 33LP with a song that seems to have been originally recorded with a drum machine, and he wants to add more drums and maybe some more stuff to the song, kind of a re-mix thing. I have Cakewalk, and I recorded his song into Cakewalk, then I tryed to find the tempo and do a 8 bar drum pattern, and then tryed to loop that throughout the song. But after a few bars, the tempo seems to get off track. I am guessing that I am just a bit off tempo, or the record is changing the tempo of the song ever so slightly (record worp etc...). I know you are up on this kind of thing, and I was hopnig you could spare some advice.

Thanks and God Bless!

------------------

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The loop will eventually drift out of sync, even if it is off by only a fraction of a millisecond. The typical solution in this case is to cut the loop to be only one or two measures, then re-trigger it every one or two measures. In other words, you would paste a two-bar loop at measure 1, copy it and paste the beginning at measure 3, copy it and paste the beginning at measure 5, and so on. This essentially "retriggers" the loop.

For example, assume the loop is 1 ms short. By repeated copying and pasting, the loop will never be more than 1 ms off. On the other hand, if you try to paste in 20 measures of this loop, at the end of the last measure it will be 20 ms short -- definitely enough to hear.

Does this make sense?

Hi Craig,

I tried to do a loop for two meassures and then ( using Cakewalk Pro Deluxe 9.0 ) use the paste for however many measures I needed. But it gets off time doing it that way. Are you suggesting I copy a two bar loop and then paste it, then paste it after that, then paste it again and so forth? Is there any way to look the beat (midi)with a wave file, kind of like beat detection with Pro Tools?

------------------

Each time you paste, you have to lock (quantize) the beginning to the measure beginning. If you just tell Cakewalk to paste XX number of times, the errors will accumulate. You need to paste EACH two measure section individually, and make sure it starts on a measure boundary -- sort of like "re-starting" it every couple of measures. Does it make sense now?

BTW also set the tempo to 133.33 BPM, not 133 if you haven't already.

Archived