Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Da7 confusion

Hey Craig, and all -

Buying a Da7. I am a bit troubled by the fact that there seems to be no way to hook up my eq and compressor for the mixdown. In other words, no main inserts. The board I am using now has main inserts and this makes it easy to add whatever device I want as I mix down. I understand you can use slot 3 - but I have 3 XT20s so I will need all slots for that. If I go out of the digi outs to my apogee then to dat, I can't hit the analog stuff on the way. I am sure there is a way to do this, since most people have a fav comp they want to strap on the mix. What is the best way?

Thanks -

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>Buying a Da7. I am a bit troubled by the fact that there seems to be no way to hook up my eq and compressor for the mixdown. In other words, no main inserts. The board I am using now has main inserts and this makes it easy to add whatever device I want as I mix down. I understand you can use slot 3 - but I have 3 XT20s so I will need all slots for that. If I go out of the digi outs to my apogee then to dat, I can't hit the analog stuff on the way. I am sure there is a way to do this, since most people have a fav comp they want to strap on the mix. What is the best way?

Thanks - <<

As you're using an analog compressor, you're going to have to convert somewhere before going into the DAT. One option is to patch the compressor between the DA7 out and the DAT analog in, but then you can't do any fade at the mixer faders, as that will influence the signal going to the input of the compressor, not the overall output. However, you shouldn't be fading anyway until the mastering stage, so this might not be a big issue.

I must mention that the master has dynamics control. It won't be the same as your favorite analog compressor, but it does the job.

Archived