Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

voltage pedal mods

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you mean that there is a control voltage input on the rack effect? Or do you simply want to remove a control from the front panel and make it foot-pedal controlled? Please be more specific with your question.

Physically replace the pot with a TRS jack (preferably insulated ground like the black plastic Switchcraft type). Connect the low side terminal of the control (the side that measures near zero ohms to the center terminal when the volume is turned down) to the sleeve. Determine whether the wiper on your foot pedal is connected to the tip (probably) or ring (again you can measure near zero ohms to the sleeve when the pedal is turned down) and connect the wiper from the control you're replacing with the jack, to the appropriate (tip or ring) terminal on the jack. Then connect the wire from the remaining terminal (high side) to the remaining connection (probably sleeve) on the jack. You should also make sure that the control on the foot pedal is not significantly lower in value (ohms) than the one you are removing from the equipment. If it is you can replace the one in the pedal (maybe with the one you removed). If the one in the pedal is higher in value, it shouldn't be a problem. I tried to keep this non-technical but if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer e-mail or phone. Neil

Neil, you got it right. The one thing I would add: not all controls have a terminal that connects to ground. It may consider the positive or negative rail to be the voltage reference, or may just be a rheostat (two-terminal rather than 3-terminal connection) and not need a ground connection.

It seems like this would be a really cool article to add to the site, as we could include schematics and such. I'll try to get to this in the next few days; if I can, I'll post it here.

While we're (kinda) on the subject, how DO you set up a pedal for voltage control applications? I recently bought an old Korg X911 guitar synth (Ok, so I had to wait 20 years to buy the things I wanted in my youth), which has several voltage control inputs on the back. I'd like to use a footpedal to at least control the vcf cutoff. Any hints?

Kevin

I'd be glad to draw you a schematic but being somewhat internet challenged, I haven't yet figured out how to send a drawing to this forum. I tried using ClarisWorks and pasting but it didn't work. Maybe someone out there can tell me what I did wrong or if it's not possible. Come to think of it I haven't seen any artwork here yet. Sounds like another great project for Craigs column. Neil

>>Craig, good additional info I hadn't thought to add. I guess that's why you write the great magazine articles and I read them. Neil<<

No, I just blow up more things than most people, so it gives me more to write about !

>>While we're (kinda) on the subject, how DO you set up a pedal for voltage control applications? <<

First, what is the control voltage range? Things weren't standardized back then, although 0 to +10V was pretty close to a de facto standard.

If that's the case, the easiest way to try out a pedal is to get a standard issue volume pedal that uses a potentiometer -- no optical, no VCAs, just a regular old pot.

Wire up a 9V battery to a phone plug with (+) to tip, and (-) to ground. Plug it into the pedal input.

Plug the pedal output into the CV input.

Wiggle the pedal and see what happens!! If you want to be extra safe in case the CV input wants to see less voltage or some non-standard voltage, add two components:

1. A 1k resistor in series with the output hot lead.

2. A 1N4001 diode from hot to ground, anode to ground, cathode to hot (that's NOT a misprint). That way if you hook the battery up backwards by mistake, the negative voltage will shunt to ground through the diode, rather than reach the CV input.

BTW I did an article on live control for Gig magazine that touches on some of these issues. I think it's supposed to appear in the December issue.

hey in the book 'STOMPBOX' there is this page on electro-harmonix and it shows a picture of "'THE HOTFOOT' w/ flexible shaft allows you to turn any control w/ your foot" looks like the footpedal is voltage type-does anyone have any idea what was going on w/ this thing-i know electro-harmonix stuff was always very suspect when it came to product quality...thanx,STANNER
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

The old EH "Hotfoot" pedal did not replace the pot, just the knob. It had a flexible shaft hooked up to the foot pedal that you put on the pot's shaft, so when you moved the pedal, you rotated the shaft and "twisted the knob". Never got to try one to see whether it actually worked worth a darn.....

<

had a flexible shaft hooked up to the foot pedal that you put on the

pot's shaft, so when you moved the pedal, you rotated the shaft and

"twisted the knob". Never got to try one to see whether it actually

worked worth a darn.....>>

This was what I was posting about earlier. It has been bugging me for days what it was called and who made it. It would be worth checking one out if you can find one. You take off the knob and hook you the cable which is connected to a foot pedal. You control the pot on the rack or on the guitar amp (which was what it was originally designed for) with the foot pedal.

Buddy

Archived