Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar amp pwr rating question

simple question......

i want to switch to a more powerful guitar amp, from a Roland JC50 (50watts) to a JC90 (2x40watts) Will this be substantially louder?

Those who can,do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i guess what my real question should be is 2x 40watts really equal to 80 watts? i play all types of music, but these days mostly reggae, dancehall, and soca. 50 watts is cutting it onstage, but just barely. we are miked most of the time, but competing with reggae bass on stage is tough. i was looking at the jc90 because of its size/weight versus power. a boogie, twin, or jc120 would work, but i've already got back problems

If the amp volume goes to 11, you should have NO problem.

(Sorry, couldn't help that)

Can't you demo an 80W amp with your band and hear for yourself if it is enough? Maybe if you turn up the volume, so will they???

Then watt?(sorry, couldn't help that either).

Miroslav

Don't forget that the perceived loudness is basically related to how much air is being moved. Putting 200 watts into an 8" speaker (that could handle it) won't be as loud as 50 watts through a 4x12 cabinet.

You'd be surprised how loud a 15 watt amp can sound through a 4x12 cab.

------------------

Larry W.

Larry W.

You also might consider working with EQ so the sound "cuts" more. If you're getting interference from the bass, there may be too much low-frequency energy in your overall signal. A little boost in the 1-3 kHz region can make a big difference in having your guitar "speak" more. And if you trim the bass a little bit, you'll create more dynamic range for the added midrange.

A 2x4Owatts would be 8O watts. The problem is the fact that the 8O watts is from a solid state amp. Let me give you an example. I'm playing in a rock band playing a wide range of music (5Os, 6Os, 7Os and 8Os stuff). I use an Asys 212 by Line6 (which is 2x5O) and it just barely handles the job. I use a Marshall 5O tube combo and it does a better job. I have a lot more power to spare. You might want to check into a 5O watt tube amp.

The last year or so I've been running a POD through the effects return jack of a Marshall JCM 8OO 5O watt combo--it cuts through anything.

Buddy

Let's see...you gain 3dB when you double amplifier power, assuming your loudspeakers are equal. So, from 50 to 80...less than 2dB gain. However, there is a reason why guitarists put up with tube amps...they sound louder. Give me a Super Reverb(45 watts) and I'll blow any 100 watt SS amp off of the stage....

Dave nailed it! Less than 2db difference from the amp power alone (assuming both are honest ratings) means a barely noticable difference. More important is the speaker efficiency at the frequencies that you are pushing hard, and what happens to the waveform when the amp runs out of power. Try them side by side in a marginal situation before you get impressed by the power difference alone. There's a lot to be said for tube amps (like better sound) especially class A. A 30 watt Matchless is LOUD! Neil

Thanks to all for the insights and suggestions. I HAVE used a tube amp in the past, but abandoned it in favor of more "roadworthy" solid state. Looks like a tube amp with an Anvil case is the way to go.(oh my aching back) I DO love the tube sound and i have access to a Mark II Boogie w/ 1-12" spkr., so i'll ck it out........

well, i got the Boogie ( a markII 60 watts)

and stuck an old SRO that i've had for years in there. (the boogie had a force12 spkr that i didn't care for)Sounds great, and seems to be enough power to get the job done. I forgot how much i love that tube sound! It IS weighty though.......about 68 lbs w/ the SRO in it. 97 lbs with the anvil case. Sure sounds good though!!

I have a Ampeg VT-40 tube amp from the early 70's. It's a 60 watt tube amp with 4 10" speakers and it will blow away anything, even other tube amps that have more power. I have owned this thing since 1979 and taken it on the road without a case many times. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it and I have done nothing to it but replace the tubes twice in 20+ years. One of the early ads for Ampeg had Keith Richards throwing one out of a 3rd story hotel room and it lived. Mine once slammed into the back door of a van which was not shut, and it rolled 100 feet down the road. I picked it up, took it to the gig, plugged it in and it was fine. They're indestructible. They will also get you fired from clubs because they're so %*&$ loud. They sound way better than Marshalls, break up so much nicer and have so much more definition. And, they are one of the last affordable vintage amps. You can probably still find one for $300. Ditto the VT-22, 100 watts and 2-12's.

But don't tell anybody. :-)

--Lee

Oh sorry jonnbee, I got to bragging on my amp instead of addressing your question. Can't help it. :-) Um, anyway if I am guessing correctly if you play reggae and you've been using a Roland, you are looking for a very clean sound, no? Clean is hard to achieve without a ton of power. And I think Miroslav is right that if you turn up, probably your bass player will too. If the amp is miked, and you still can't be heard even through the PA, the whole band is just too damn loud for the PA and getting a more powerful amp will probably only serve to make that problem worse.

A better PA might be a better investment than a new amp, if you're basically happy with the sound of yours but it's just not loud enough.

--Lee

If you want a tube amp to be roadworthy, Anvil case or not. Make sure that the tube sockets aren't soldered directly into a printed circuit board. They should be (shock) mounted to the chassis with discrete wiring (or components) to the circuit. If they are soldered into a circuit board, like some manufacturers do, it's just a matter of time before cold solder joints happen and maybe more failures resulting from the poor connections. Neil

Archived