Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Samson MPL 2242 power loss on buss out...

A desperate question....I am using a Samson MPL 2242 22 channel w/4 buss mixer for my band. Here's the problem...when playing live or rehearsing I take a stereo line out form buss 1-2 to a 2 track stereo cassette deck for critique purposes, but I experience a dramatic loss of power and/or volume (~50%) through the mains and everthing becomes muddy. When I unplug the line out from the buss everything sweetens back up and volume levels return to normal. Any ideas of what is causing the problem. Also, when we finally get everything sounding good I fill out a data sheet for the settings, but then after a while everything starts sounding muddy again. When turning of the board and then back on again later, the settings that once sounded good suck and have to be reset again. HELP!

Shamann

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>when playing live or rehearsing I take a stereo line out form buss 1-2 to a 2 track stereo cassette deck for critique purposes, but I experience a dramatic loss of power and/or volume (~50%) through the mains and everthing becomes muddy. <<

Obviously there's some type of mismatch. It could be something defective in the cassette deck that's loading down the bus, or the bus may be balanced and the cassette deck unbalanced, and somehow, one of the lines is being shorted to ground and screwing things up.

I suggest placing a 10k resistor in series with the buss outs and cassette deck inputs. If this prevents the cassette deck from affecting the mixer, then you KNOW the problem is some kind of mismatch. However, this may lower the cassette deck input level.

If you could provide more information about the inputs and outputs involved (e.g., balanced, unbalanced, +4, -10, type of connector, etc.), I may be able to give a more accurate assessment.

You made a lot of sense...and got me into checking things. Thank you. The buss out on the Samsom is unbalanced and -10k and 1/4" to -10k unbalanced RCA on the 2-track (standard stereo) cassette deck. HOWEVER...you got me into checking my patch cords and I found a bad patch cord that had a whole lot of resistance which I was using to patch the Samson and the cassette deck. I changed patch cords and this seemed to solve the situation. AND, it was a brand new patch cord right out of the package that was bad! Just goes to show you that new doesn't necessarilly mean in working order! Thank you mucho.

With respect,

Steven Clifton

Archived