Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM Debriefing

Okay, what did y'all see that was hot? Any opinions on trends?

On the DJ front, that American DJ "turntable controller" for CDs was hot stuff.

Roland's VGA-7 amp was cool (basically a VG device in an amp instead of a stomp box), but it caused people to overlook the Boss wa and phase shifter stomp boxes, which were very flexible and did much more than you'd expect from a typical stomp box.

Yamaha had a DG-based stomp box that sounded wicked. Line 6 had a modeling stomp box, not as complete as a POD, but not as much $$ either.

But that's enough from me. What did you see that impressed/depressed you?!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HUH? WHUT? when was that? i was too busy holed up in my studio recording one of the few female voices i have heard that doesnt make me utterly cringe. guess i will have to wait until all the mags print their summarys of the event.

were the boss pedals like their classick tank built stompboxes or were they like those cheesy multifloorboard digital thingamabobs? what was the wah like? was it footswitch enabled or step and go? was it something besides an enivitable scratchypot wah? how did it sound?

screw those amps with built in fx. those are so dumb. i would rather have seperate rack and amp. i usually just plug into a wah and then amp. i can pretty much get all the sounds i want with that, maybe a phaser and my digitech multiplay if i wanna get trippy. the line 6 is SO hokey.

what else you got???

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

>>guess i will have to wait until all the mags print their summarys of the event.<<

Or you can wait a couple days and check out the highlights here. Text goes up by Thursday, pictures and videos will follow.

I've got my eye on that new Tascam 788. Tell you what, the Portastudio concept has come a long ways! Sure would be nice to have a unit I can take anywhere and that has the features this one has. Take it home, dump it on a computer and we're all set!

Jon B

I don't know about anybody else but I was excited to hear about about the new Eventide remote for the Orville and the new DSP7000 which is a 2-channel baby Orville. None of this is as pretty as the 960L or the M6000 but it also isn't as expensive. Any other big Eventide fans of thier newer stuff out there? (GTR4000/DSP4000/DSP4500/Orville)

- Bruce -

- AudioGaff -

Originally posted by jcbryson1@hotmail.com:

I've got my eye on that new Tascam 788. Tell you what, the Portastudio concept has come a long ways

The Portstudio thing is certainly hot. There was also the Fostex VF16, which seemed very capable, and two new Roland models. Akai wasn't there, so I have no idea if there are any updates to the DPS-12.

I also thought the TASCAM USB interface gives a sort of "portastudio functionality" to software a la Cubase. Apparently this will work with a wide number of programs, as other companies are developing interfaces. Best news: as soon as the thing goes on sale, TASCAM is posting the control commands on line so people can write their own interfaces for gear -- sort of like the "mixermaps" in Cubase.

It's heeeeere....

Go to the Home Page under Features for a rundown of what was happening at NAMM, then if you want to discuss any of it or have questions about any of the gear, come back here and post.

ugh, is my gearlust over with? have i been cured? i think the only two things in the list that perked my interest were the cabling by somebody with the silver core (but does it REALLy make a difference and what is the cost compared to other higher end cable manufacturers) and the jomeek 16 channel mic pre amp (and is 16 too much??? i feel weird even saying that) i wonder how they sound? thats a LOT of channels, especially of just one flavor. and not a lot of money for that many channels. at full retail, thats $125 a channel. what are they cutting costs on? but the other dual channel pre is $$$, it better sound amazing. for that dough, i could get a GML pre or a crane song pre for a lot less.

i dunno....

you know what ads ive been digging is the armoured cable. thats shit looks cool as hell. i wonder hoe those sound and wind for that matter. i would think it would be a dream to coil and uncoil.

im still waiting on a nice control surface. the sony dmxr100 is still leading the pack for myself. lately i have just been buying mics and pres figuring that they are a safer purchase with technology moving so rapidly. i would like a board like the sony but i hear sll and yamaha are going to come out with compitition to the sony. still debating whether to invest in something like the tascam da78hr or the mackie HDR. one gives me both analog and digital i/o, the other can only do one of them. if i had the sony board i would only need the digital i/o but its quite an investment.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by Anderton:

It's heeeeere....

Go to the Home Page under Features for a rundown of what was happening at NAMM, then if you want to discuss any of it or have questions about any of the gear, come back here and post.

OK, I'm stupid today I guess - Home Page / Features ? I must be on drugs - I can't see anything like that? What Home page? Not www.eqmag.com, I guess?

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

You'll find the NAMM stuff at http://www.musicplayer.com under "Features".

You know, I like the look of the Fostex VF-16. Is it possible that this thing is actually decent at that price point, though? Craig, did you get a chance to play around with this unit? What are your impressions of a unit that packs this many features in under $1400?

I want to believe it's true, but hard not to be a little skeptical...

Jon B

>>

You know, I like the look of the Fostex VF-16. Is it possible that this thing is actually decent at that price point, though? Craig, did you get a chance to play around with this unit? What are your impressions of a unit that packs this many features in under $1400? <<

You don't really get to play around with stuff at a NAMM show -- and even if you could, the ambient noise levels aren't conducive to critical listening! I'm sure EQ or Keyboard will review one when it becomes available. It does look promising, though...

Archived