Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Museum of Dead Technology!

The Mellotron may be dead, but it had the BEST string sound of its' time. (It had 36 tape strips of 1/4 inch tape, NOT LOOPS) You could only play the note seven seconds. BUT they were actual recordings of real strings. The factory tape set had three choices-controlled by a rotary selector next to the volume pot-strings, flutes, or choir. When it worked, it was great, in the days before DSP!

Now 4 and 8 tracks, those were DEAD tech! A friend of mine had and early 4tk-called Muntz and it had all the shortcomings of the 8. And by the way, the broadcast cart still lives--you can see them piled up around Howard Stern's console.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yep the melotron was great - how about the Roland Dimension D - still lots of them around in our studios - one of the best chorus sounds ever made!! I used to use two in series http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things I have laying around:

1) A box that my brother built for me in the mid-70's that would give guitar notes a violin-like attack. I believe it was from a construction article in Radio-Electronics magazine. It's pretty cool, but not very versatile...

2) A Kramer bass with an aluminum neck. It feels like it's about 40 lbs - it'll dislocate your shoulder blade and leave you with a hernia, but if you put it on a guitar stand an pluck a string, you can come back 4 hours later, turn on the amp and the note will still be ringing!

philbo

http://www.mp3.com/tangent

Hey Craig,

I'd love to see that EH Micro Synth mod if you've been able to dig it up. What would it take to have a DIY mod/ kit forum in place here?

Philbo - I had one of those Kramer basses in Boston, untill someone broke into my rehersal room deciding they needed it more than I did. It was fretless with fret markers (lines), and a beautiful birds eye maple strip in the middle. Sound familiar? I still have the # on the police report from 8 or 9 years ago...

Craig - The first time I heard of you was from reading the manual for my Drumulator you wrote back in 1985, I think. Very impressed with the writing. I still have it tucked away in my closet. I made some quality 4 track recordings with that beast.

-David R.

-David R.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Anderton:

I just remembered a fertile new territory for the Museum fo Dead Technology: The Museum of Stillborn Technology -- stuff that died before it even made it to market. I remember some Yamaha synth (V80?)that was between FM synthesis and the SY stuff that never made it; ditto Peavey's "Kurzweil killer" that combined the SP sampler with a synthesis engine and lots of processing. It was promised at trade shows, but never appeared. And anyone remember the Axcel additive synth that made the rounds at AES shows and such? It had a great LED interface and a few very cool sounds, but disappeared into the murk of DOA products.

Originally posted by Anderton:

I just remembered a fertile new territory for the Museum fo Dead Technology: The Museum of Stillborn Technology --

What about the Stage Electronics "Mini"? This was supposed to be a 1 rack unit programmable Minimoog clone. There was also a separate programmer for it. The idea was that you could stack multiple "Minis" for polyphony and have one programmer control them. I heard that there was a prototype of it but I don't know if that was true. Keyboard magazine had a picture of a picture of it from the NAMM '93 show.

Also, what about the Minimoog clone from the infamous Moog Music of Cincinnati? It was supposed to have patch memory and Midi. They were also supposed to have other things, among them an ARP sequencer clone. I know the company now is out of business but I wonder if anyone has ever seen prototypes or drawings of these things?

[This message has been edited by Synthmatic@aol.com (edited 10-25-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember the Sustainiac? Essentially an 80-watt power amp that sat on the floor, stomp-box style, and had an output that drove a potted coil attached to the headstock via a magnet strip rubber-cemented on the backside, below the tuners.

I'd like to find one of those again, especially the extruded aluminum models...built tank-tough. Anybody got one?

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

This is another more modern slant of the "dead on arrival" theme. This is the "seemingly dead even before it even hit the market" category which is very common in the computer industry and have now hit our area of interest.

First out is Gibsons proposed standard of MIDI and Audio network. It is so seemingly dead that I can't even remember the name.

My guess is that mLAN will succeed.

Mats Nermark

Can anyone remember the small keyboard that could be attached to a acoustic piano and had a synth kind of sound - it was used in "Our Day Will Come" - what was it called...???

cheers

John

Archived