Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin Bass - Model B4

I hope this is the right forum for this type of question:

This model is Carvin's "low end" bass, the B4, with a bolt-on neck. I'm wondering if anyone's owned/played one and could give me any input on it and how much better/worse it is than any other bolt-on on the market.

I'm especially looking for reviews of a fretted model -- I've heard many for a fretless -- but I don't play fretless at the moment.

If you've played one or own one, do you prefer any electronics other than the stock? Things like that, etc...

Is it worth $500 w/case?

Thanks!

- John Wolanski

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I own a Carvin B4, a B5 that I built from the kit, and a Fender Jazz. The Carvins are pretty much all I play anymore. when I bought the B4, I was a little concerned that I didn't get to play it first, but Carvin has a good return policy so I gave it a try. They play well, keep their action, and sound good.

I would go ahead and get the active / passive electronics. I have it in the B5 and love the way the mids growl in active mode. Its that little extra juice that helps cut through a Marshal.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris, thanks for the answer. I've got another question for you, if you don't mind:

On either model, did you opt for the HB2 bridge pickup, or just keep the Jazz-style. Also, for the regulars, did you get the single-coils or humbuckers?

Of all the pickups, which did you prefer?

Thanks, again.

- John

Originally posted by suremann@aol.com:

Hello,

I own a Carvin B4, a B5 that I built from the kit, and a Fender Jazz. The Carvins are pretty much all I play anymore. when I bought the B4, I was a little concerned that I didn't get to play it first, but Carvin has a good return policy so I gave it a try. They play well, keep their action, and sound good.

I would go ahead and get the active / passive electronics. I have it in the B5 and love the way the mids growl in active mode. Its that little extra juice that helps cut through a Marshal.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Both my Carvins have the H50N humbuckers. I bought both basses about a year before the HB pickups came out, and I haven't met anyone with the new alnico's yet, so I don't know how they sound. They look pretty cool though.

If you have any more questions let me know,

Chris

Archived