Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We have a 6 piece jazz band.One of the songs

i wrote conatyains a melody and solo to be played by a violinist.I'm trying to capture that clean chamber-airy(not to 'Verby)sound

of the violin. Some engineers informed me to go with a PZM mic,taped at the top of my basement project studio and record the violinist standing facing the wall approx 4-5 ft. . I have no problem with this but I'm having a hard time locating any stores or on-line sites thathave even the slightest info on PZM's. Just incase i cannot locate 1 can N-E 1 suggest a suitable mic for this type of recording? Thanking you all in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MISTERQCUE:

Try Crown, they make (at least they used to)some great PZM's. I think that Neumann makes one (?). I would bet Sennheiser or Shure probably have one in their catalogs. I bet Craig has had some PZM experience, he could probably shed some light for you. BTW, Radio Shack makes them too, and they supposedly sound good (not Pro, but not terrible either). I have only used them on a couple of occasions for drums, but they sure sounded great, really bringing home the sound of the room. Anyone else?

-Rich T.

Originally posted by richt:

MISTERQCUE:

I bet Craig has had some PZM experience, he could probably shed some light for you. BTW, Radio Shack makes them too, and they supposedly sound good (not Pro, but not terrible either).

I've only used PZM a few times, although I've also used them on vocals and they weren't bad.

Rumor time: I heard the Radio Shack PZMs were the same basic thing as the Crown units, but slightly out of spec. I bought one and I must say it's pretty good. There are some mods about using higher battery voltages and getting more headroom, I can't remember where offhand. I do think that a lot of hardcore audio people thought the Radio Shack mic was (is?) an excellent value.

The Crown is good. I've used a Shure SM91, and it worked very well, however I don't think that is available anymore. I didn't use it on a violin, rather an acoustic guitar, but I was trying to achieve a similar 'airy' quality.

I'm sure that if you put the Radio Shack model through a decent preamp it would work well.

-Matt

Good luck finding a Radio shack PZM - they haven't had them for a few years (dropped just before I got interested of course). Not easy to find used either...

Archived