Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Complaints Department

All right everyone, tell us what ticks you off about some music gear you use/used -- software, hardware, it doesn't matter. Was it the incomprehensible manual? The horrid copy protection? The fact that it blew up on your third gig, maiming the drummer? Here's your chance to speak your mind.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the damn GML rack-mount mic-pre's with the phantom-power switch on the BACK! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Rich...

you know what I hate ? It`s those damn manuels that talk at you instead of to you.

e-mu makes (in my humble opinon ) the worst manuel there is! The manuel for the sp-1200

is crap! All praise to mackie manuels!

------------------

Nevasleep:

I guess those Spanish Manuels must be hard to deal with!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I usually have a problem with the Manuals for products, especially written in Japanese-English.

AND the ones for Roland seem to be the worst. (Can I say that?) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif .

Anyway, I wonder WHO wrote that stinkin' El Manuel for the SP-12 & SP-1200? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

Can you believe that they actually PAY guys to write like that? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Opps!! There goes my gig!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 05-23-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

Originally posted by nevasleep@hotmail.com:

you know what I hate ? It`s those damn manuels that talk at you instead of to you.

e-mu makes (in my humble opinon ) the worst manuel there is! The manuel for the sp-1200

is crap! All praise to mackie manuels!

As the person who wrote the SP-1200 manual, all I can say is, sorry you didn't like it! However, the guy they have there now, Riley Smith, I think does a really good job...I thought the Proteus manual was excellent (I had nothing to do with that, BTW). I definitely agree with you about Mackie manuals, though, they're outstanding. I think the worst manuals are the ones that come with computers and operating systems!!

I really wish that these machines would break down less. I know it's almost impossible for magazines to review their reliablity, but somethings gotta be done. I'm constantly out of the country, and getting them serviced is extremely difficult, especially when you're pulling an allnighter and something goes kaput at 4am. And sometimes, these products are released and their drivers should really be designated as beta. So you waste hours troubleshooting, and then downloading everything on their website. I NEED rock-solid RELIABLE equipment- software and hardware!!!!!!!!
Raul

Originally posted by THE MIX FIX:

Craig:

You DID get my joke about "Can you believe they actually PAY someone to write like that?" when I was refering to the SP-1200 Manual, didn't you?

Yes, I did! And I did get paid. And they got lots of good comments on the manual, so..."one man's meat is another man's poison."

And while I'm on the subject, I think Roland's manuals have gotten much better lately.

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

I really wish that these machines would break down less. I know it's almost impossible for magazines to review their reliablity, but somethings gotta be done

You're right, magazines usually don't have a piece of gear in long enough to determine long-term reliability under adverse conditions. Although DJ Russ Reign did a review on a Numark piece of gear that was dropped a couple thousand times as a test...

But that's what this site is for. If you can identify gear that is more likely to break down, let us know.

you know what i hate, which might have been addressed since i bought my last sampler is the stupid OS disks. why the hell dont they just include some flash rom and put in on it. i have had my sampler (akai s2000) rendered useless sometimes by failing to boot.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

One thing I seriously dislike about the music software sold today is the copy protection. Even the more innoucuos forms (registration/code number) are a pain. When some of the most copy-protection filled fields have dropped the idea (Cad software for example) I think it's time for music software to do likewise.

Originally posted by drfuzz@aol.com:

One thing I seriously dislike about the music software sold today is the copy protection. Even the more innoucuos forms (registration/code number) are a pain. When some of the most copy-protection filled fields have dropped the idea (Cad software for example) I think it's time for music software to do likewise.

What's worse is when the compnay producing a copy-protected disk doesn't keep any archives. The only thing that lets me get samples out of an EII is the original Sound Designer disk, which ran on a Mac Plus. I wanted to pull some sounds from it and was looking around for a backup disk in case mine died (it's almost 15 years old). Digi didn't have one, Emu didn't have one...nobody has one. I think when a program is no longer being sold, a non-copy-protected version should be made available on the web or elsewhere.

The worst part, of course, is that only people who paid for the program are inconvenienced by copy protection. Those who use cracked programs don't have to deal with it. Yet I also saw what happened when Passport dropped the copy protection on Master Tracks Pro and Alchemy; it was one of the main factors in killing the company. Apparently, even more people would steal if they don't have to expend any effort to do so.

hell, i run multiple copies on my various machines. like im gonna buy a copy for every one. that would be ridiculous.

and we dont really see the major labels folding even though a cd has no copyprotection whatsoever and you can easily copy a exact image of a cd for $0.75 on a CDR.

and i think when the disk dies, i would simply retire the sampler, maybe bury it with a nice funeral, tombstone might be in order.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Originally posted by alphajerk:

and i think when the disk dies, i would simply retire the sampler, maybe bury it with a nice funeral, tombstone might be in order.

Gotta disagree with you there. The problem with samplers is that if you develop a lot of cool sounds for it, you want to be able to take those sounds to the next generation model. It's great that more samplers are using standard file formats like WAV, but a lot of older samplers used proprietary formats. Once the platform to play them back is gone, those sounds are gone, unless you backed them up via the audio outs.

When my E-II goes, so do most of the sounds I used on my Forward Motion CD, and on various production projects in the 80s. Guess I better find a Sound Designer disk real soon, and transfer sounds before my Mac Plus dies too.

But this is a prelude to my big complaint (well, at least for today): Planned obsolescence. What will happen to my perfectly functioning PowerBook 5300 when I can't get batteries for it, but everything else is fine (and no, I don't need a $2000 job just to write articles on the plane)? I guess I'll have to buy a new computer. And then there's the Practical Peripherals modem for which I paid quite a few bucks because it could be flash upgraded to 56k. When I went to upgrade it, the company was gone, bought out by someone like Hayes, who I think was also bought out...anyway, I was never able to find the software that could upgrade the unit; it wasn't made public domain on the net, at least as far as my search engine can tell. So now I have a 28.8 modem that works fine, but cannot be upgraded. Oh well, at least my 5-year-old daughter finds it satisfactory for logging on to Nick.com.

i was only kidding.

but in a response, i dont believe anything lasts forever. the whole universe is in constant flux, species die, new ones evolve. i got recordings i made on a four track tape that no longer works anymore. great recordings, not especially sounding but playing for sure. i have the tapes sitting there, might never be heard again. what do you do? permanence is of little concern for myself. you wouldnt believe the old hard drive collection i have growing. god knows whats on them. i had 5.25 floppies laying around until i moved this year.

btw: i have a nice 56k us robotics hardware modem but i can only connect @ 26,400 cause the phone lines are so bad out my way. line noise got in and i crashed to 4,800baud, can you believe that??? i went from cable to that, talk about the digital divide.

i have even had hardware ive bought with a note saying "we dont include drivers because they might be out of date, visit our website to obtain the latest version"

alphajerk

FATcompilation

Alphajerk, I went to get some of my old 4 tracks dumped to digital for preservation purposes. Needless to say for the price I was quoted I could purchase an old 4 track junker and do it myself.

However, I must do something soon or that technology will be obsolete soon and I will never be able to make copies.

I wonder how long 10 inch reel-to-reel tape will hold its magnetic properties? Anyone know?

10 1/2 inch reels of tape have held their magnetic properties for WELL over 50 years, so far. How do you think that old Frank Sinatra stuff, recorded on old Ampex machines was Re-Mastered and Re-Released for CD?

Or how ANY of the old 50s-60s compilation albums you see on TV were done? Most were done from the Masters, NOT from the vinyl (in 99% of the cases; I DID restore a Freddie Fender album from vinyl once, since the Masters were lost).

ANYWAY, in your case, since you can't remember that long ago, the tapes must not be that old, and will play just fine.

The exception being, some old Ampex tapes made in the mid 1970s, that must be baked prior to being played, since they were making it so quickly back then, the formula was not so refined, and the tape was released "wet".

The moisture has to be dried out, by baking the tapes in an oven.

WARNING!!

Don't do this yourself!! There are places that will do this for you, for a small fee, if your tape needs for it to be done, at all.

This is usually required for 2" Ampex 456, circa the 1970s.

The REAL (or should I say REEL http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif ) question is, will your CDs last 1/2 that long?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 06-01-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

Originally posted by philgrab@pacbell.net:

I wonder how long 10 inch reel-to-reel tape will hold its magnetic properties? Anyone know?

One other issue is that storage affects how well the tape survives. If the tape was stored in a high temperature/high humidity environment, the shelf life is shortened considerably, and print-through becomes worse. You also want to make sure that tape is always stored "tails out" after being played, not wound, all the way through. Finally, store all tapes vertically in a shelf, like a book. Horizontal storage will often damage the tape edges over time.

Well than's encouraging to know. I guess that leaves me some room to get my old tapes transferred.

About not being old enough to remember?

Sad truth is I am and I do. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Well, this is quite out of sync with everyone else's complaints, but let me just mention that my bitchen, brand new Yamaha S80 88-note weight key controller actually ships without a sustain pedal. Like, what did they think we were going to do when we took it out of the box, head to the closest Guitar Center so we could play our new toy?

Mind you--this isn't a new module--it's the centerpiece of a keyboard rig.

I hope this isn't a duplicate--I remember trying to post this gripe earlier, but don't think it happened.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

My Mackie VLZ-1604 mixer has the phantom power switch on the back. It's a ***** trying to get at it when in the rack up to a wall.

Mats Nermark

Originally posted by Doug Robinson:

Well, this is quite out of sync with everyone else's complaints, but let me just mention that my bitchen, brand new Yamaha S80 88-note weight key controller actually ships without a sustain pedal.

Don't you hate it when you buy something but it needs some crucial accessory that's NOT included? I recently bought a replacement keyboard that was set up for PS/2 type ports. If you wanted to feed an older serial port you could get an adapter free, but had to send in a post card and wait for the mail to do its thing. Your other option was to buy one at the store.

But my BIGGEST complaint is inaccurate installation instructions. I was reviewing a sound card once and couldn't get it to work no matter what, even though I followed the instructions to the letter. Finally, I called up the company. Oh, I was told, it can't possibly work if you follow the instructions...you actually need to enter some DOS fixes! Couldn't they have put in a sheet of paper that updated the bad info?!?

Originally posted by makai@pesteredmystic.com:

PCs

(read Intel/MS based computer)

If autos were this disfunctional there would be all manner of chaos in the streets.

D Makai

...but they'd get 742 miles to the gallon and cost $59.95.

Archived