Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer based recording

What is the best entry-level recording package I can get started with. I have an Pentium based HP running at 533mhz with 192 megs of ram and a 10 gig hard drive.

I have only briefly looked at the Delta 44 and read about ECHO's lower priced models.

I currently reocrd everthing on a Sony DTC-690 DAT I have had for about 6 years.

Thanks. Jim T.

[This message has been edited by Jim Tavegia (edited 05-23-2000).]

Jim T.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jim Tavegia:

What is the best entry-level recording package I can get started with. I have an Pentium based HP running at 533mhz with 64 megs of ram and a 40 gig hard drive.

I have only briefly looked at the Delta 44 and read about ECHO's lower priced models.

I currently reocrd everthing on a Sony DTC-690 DAT I have had for about 6 years.

Thanks. Jim T.

You need to be more specific about what you want to do. Do you want to do audio, MIDI, or both? Is your studio mostly digital or analog? By entry-level do you mean more cost, or ease of use? Style of music makes a difference, too. If you can define your needs more precisely, it will help me and others give you a more informed recommendation.

Sorry for now being more specific,

AT this point everything is analog in. I use a Yamaha MU100R tone generator for my piano sounds and a Kurzweil Micro piano patch 31 for my strings. It is one of the few good patches in the Kurzweil. I also sing which would require one more channel or a stereo pair with effects. I could easily get by with no more than 8 tracks or 4 stereo pairs.

I have tried to record everything in the past in real time, direct to two track which means that the levels between the piano, strings, and the vocal cannot be manipulated. I did a short run CD last year and decided that it was time to multi-track so I could properly mix down and master the material.

The sound I heard from 24/96 was super and knew that I could do much better for the money

by going computer based rather than buying a 8 track MDM.

As always, I want to make a good initial decision, and leave open future expansion possibilities. Realistically, my chances of needing more than 8 tracks is probably not that great unless I was to do some contract recording in the future.

I just pulled up the Aaredvark site and looked at their 8 I/O unit which looked pretty appealing.

Has anyone heard of and used the Terratec EWS88 unit? Zzounds has it for a street price of $479.00. It is 24/96 with and outboard 8 I/O breakout box and software.

It sounds almost too good to be true. If the converters are good it could be a steal.

Thanks in advance. Jim T.

[This message has been edited by Jim Tavegia (edited 05-23-2000).]

Jim T.

Jim,

I use the MidiMan Dman 2044 (now replaced by the Delta 44)

It has four (mono)IN and four (mono)OUT and they can be used as dual stereo IN/OUT.The Delta's INs are software configurable to +4, -10 and Consumer[?].

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio,which given your needs allows you two keep your Keys/Strings virtual until mixdown and all audio and MIDI tracks sync up very well.

So based on the needs you described, having more I/O is sort of overkill unless you want to track several players, instruments or mics live at the same time. (might try the Delta 1010 or add a mixer)

Admitedly Im a novice to digital audio, but as a soloist who plays guitar, sings, sequences keys, percussion and plays cedar flute Ive yet to run into a situation in which this card & I/O box were inadequate for my needs.

My typical setup is:

~Roland XP50 L/R out to IN 1/2

~guitar cab/SM57/ART MP-1 output to IN 3

other instruments go into IN 4 (DX100,Cedar Flute, Unisynth, etc..)

I generally do not use outboard gear(using plugins) and on the rare ocassion I record in a live setting I submix to two buses of a friends Mackie board and into the two stereo pairs of the Dman 2044 just as one might do using a two track deck.

Hope this info helps,

D Makai

Hi,

I recording on my own so I use a SW1000XG soundcard from Yamaha and a JoeMeek TrakPak. This is a great combination.

I'm also using a PIII500 with 256 MB ram and 2 hardrives from Maxtor. My systemboard is an Asus PB3B-F. This is a nice PC!

I'm using Windows98SE (with 98lite install, so using the Win95 explorer shell) and Windows2000 in a double boot.

I'm only using Windows98SE for music.

---

Greetings,

Marco

It seems like your needs are straightforward enough that many different devices would do the job for you.

For an absolute rock bottom price, the Guillemot ISIS gives 8 channels of 20-bit analog I/O in a breakout box, a decent onboard synth, MIDI, SPDIF (good for mixing down to DAT), and bundled software (a version of Logic).

The Terratec is similar conceptually, but a step higher up on the interface food chain for not a lot more bucks.

Another option is to go for a more "modular" approach although this will cost more. You would get an audio interface with 8 channels (expandable to 16) of ADAT I/O, and a set of 8 preamps with A/D and an ADAT output. This allows for more flexibility in the future. For example, if you want to upgrade your mic pres, you can do so without having to buy a new audio interface.

As to 24/96, I think 24 is important but am not yet sold on 96. Apparently not many people think it justifies the extra processor loading and storage requirements. But if you choose something now that will allow 96 in the future, so much the better.

MIDIMan and Aardvark make excellent products that frequently escape mainstream attention. Also, I think Frontier Design makes some outstandingly cost-effective products, and they also allow a modular approach - for example, their Dakota board has limited MIDI and only digital I/O. But if you want analog ins or more MIDI, you can buy expansion modules that will do the job. In fact, I'm using a Dakota in my music computer right now, and one of their older WaveCenter ISA cards in my office computer.

If you expect expandability to be a major issue, check out Mark of the Unicorn's interfaces. Contrary to popular misconception they are not[/i} Mac-only, and you can expand it with just about anything except an anti-gravity module. But the system is pricier, and may be more than what you need.

I hope these opininons help. I'm sure I forgot some likely candidates (there are a ton of products out there!) - if so, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Archived