Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marketing/promoting disaster relief songs (was renew FOF website)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ric - I think I do have a WAV of Tears We Share, not sure with Reaching Out - Hoop may have it though :thu:

I can't imagine any of the contributors having issues with those songs going on CD Baby ;)

Just out of curiosity, is there any possibility of perhaps getting some promotional or other assistance from the kind folks who publish all the magazines we consume and operate this site?

Also, I'm thinking some things don't work well as a democracy...perhaps one person should undertake the responsibility of taking the songs, planning and executing the CD, handling the marketing and promotion, etc. I'd say that's a pretty big job...I'd think that person should probably be allowed to take some cut of any sales revenues as an expense offset or even small compensation...the remainder of revenues of course goes to disaster relief, as originally planned. I'm thinking this may hold some merit...the person investing their talents, time, and some cash in the promotional side of it has a personal motivation as well as a kindhood motivation. I'd think it's more likely to actually get done that way, which is important to meet the original goal for these (in other words, at least some funds end up going to disaster relief...80% of something is definitely something, but 100% of nothing is still nothing). What do you folks think of this idea? Does it open a can of worms that I haven't considered?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, as far as MP goes, I suppose it never hurts to ask. Do we draw straws to see who gets to ask? :D

I started looking into non-profits. It seems they are the better business model to start with than the music biz in this case. Since they actually have college courses/majors in non-profit management, this is a big topic. I read until my head started to hurt and then took a break. After helping out a lot of non-profits as a volunteer, it's surprising how little I actually know about the business side.

Anyone else more familiar with this uncharted territory?

Well, I'm hoping someone here who may know somewhere at MP personally might take the charge to go ask. If not, then straws will work!

I don't know about other states, but I don't believe it's all that difficult in NC to start a non-profit or charity organization. In fact, it's so easy to register a charity or church that those two non-profit organizations are the two most used as a front for fraudulent activity. Banks scrutinize business with churches and charities very closely because of this.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any objections to me performing their song at this benefit show? I'm mainly talking about the Katrina songs, as I'm not familiar with the Tsunami ones (unless I can learn them in 3 weeks). Ted? Dave? Ken?

Hoop, do you have "Reaching Out"? Nursers said he had "Tears We Share". I'd like to get the Tsunami songs on the CD if I can.

Ted, do you have a mix of "Bad Wind" for the CD?

It's just under 3 weeks, but hopefully we can pull this together in time. I don't see a whole lot more of these opportunities in the coming future, so I'd hate to miss it.

Any chance we can get it mastered? (Yeah, I know, my song isn't even a finished mix yet. I think I'm just about done torturing Bill, though. :evil::D )

Thanks everyone.

Eric, you can absolutely perform Primitive Existence and Rebuild in their current arrangements or one of your own.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I have so far for the liner notes. Comments? Suggestions?

On December 26, the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake spawned the Asian Tsunami, the deadliest ever. Over 200,000 died or are missing, and over 1,000,000 people were displaced. Reconstruction may take a decade to complete.

Musicians from around the world came together to write and record music to benefit Asian Tsunami survivors. The internet was essential in this collaborative process. They took up the name FACE OF FRIENDSHIP and released their first digital download, "Tears We Share". It has generated over US$10,000, all of which was sent to The Red Cross for tsunami aid. Two more original songs were to follow.

Then on August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina made landfall on southeast Louisiana. Possibly the largest hurricane to strike the U.S.A., it was the costliest and one of the deadliest, claiming 1,604 lives. The musicians of FACE OF FRIENDSHIP wrote four new charity songs, released for the first time on this CD.

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Here's what I have so far for the liner notes. Comments? Suggestions?

On December 26, the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake spawned the Asian Tsunami, the deadliest ever. Over 200,000 died or are missing, and over 1,000,000 people were displaced. Reconstruction may take a decade to complete.

Musicians from around the world came together to write and record music to benefit Asian Tsunami survivors. The internet was essential in this collaborative process. They took up the name FACE OF FRIENDSHIP and released their first digital download, "Tears We Share". It has generated over US$10,000, all of which was sent to The Red Cross for tsunami aid. Two more original songs were to follow.

Then on August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina made landfall on southeast Louisiana. Possibly the largest hurricane to strike the U.S.A., it was the costliest and one of the deadliest, claiming 1,604 lives. The musicians of FACE OF FRIENDSHIP wrote four new charity songs, released for the first time on this CD.

Hiya Ric,

You are most kind with your $10K estimate on funds raised. The actuality was around $1500 ;)

Oh, I did get a suggestion to change the recipient of our charity. In addition to the mishandling of money that was reported earlier, and their ineffectiveness in the New Orleans area, I received this chilling statement: "Red Cross now belongs to homeland security, their 1st priority is the war."

Evidently some grass roots organizations and church groups are more effective there. Still, we'd need an organization that benefits both Asian Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina survivors.

Comments? Suggestions?

Ok, I put together a rough CD liner and booklet. I've already gotten a commitment from a real graphic designer and artist to provide real cover art and pro design. So don't fall in love with this attempt. ;)

Please look it over and inform me of any corrections. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes. Most of this info I dug up from previous threads, so nothing is "official".

Song order is not written in stone, either. I simply took a chronological approach.

booklet cover (pdf)

booklet inside (pdf)

liner (pdf)

Hey mate,

Firstly, I have to say thanks for all the wonderful work you're doing - it is greatly appreciated to say the least. :thu::thu:

I am away for the next few days but will endeavour to chase up some people to give feedback. I will also have a look at the album cover etc. I've also got your PM - will try to respond to that tonight.

Again - you rock! :thu::cool:

You're awesome, Eric...nice work! I owe you some stuff too...will try to get those WAV's on their way tonight...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Excellent work, Eric! Thank you for taking on the task.

Here are my additions to the liner notes, if it's not to late:

On the song "Tears We Share," I should be credited with "production" instead of "engineering." (I did a lot of pre-production and production work on that song, but none of my engineering actually made it into the final version of the song) You can keep the guitar credit there, if you want, even though we all mutually decided that the mix sounded better with my guitar track mostly buried. Heheh. :o

And you can list my home town if you want to. It's Richmond, California.

I'll try to get wave files of both of my final mixes to you ASAP. BTW, is anyone slated to master this compilation?

Thanks again, Eric! :thu::thu:

As for the credits, I don't think any of my guitar crap made it to the final mixes of "Tears" or "Rebuild".

As for the design, my only nit to pick is maybe work out aligning the text with the bands of color so that there aren't any color changes that lie under lines of text (such as the first line of the second paragraph of the outer booklet) The color band under the text makes it hard to read - at least for my squinty eyes.

As for the dedication, you rawk :thu:

Any word on that vocal we're looking for? My late winter bronchitis is clearing up ;)

Originally posted by Bunny Knutson:

I'll try to get wave files of both of my final mixes to you ASAP. BTW, is anyone slated to master this compilation?

Hey Bunny! Thanks for the corrections; I'll get them put in.

I don't have anybody to master this thing. Know anybody who might want to take that on? (I hear they have great engineers in Cali! ;) ) Everything is a final mix at this point except for one, ahem, straggler. (I might just have to take myself off this compilation, dag nab it! ;) )

What kind of timeline would be necessary to get this mastered? I'd probably want 24 hours to print and burn the CDs before the 4/20 show. (Yeah, CDr isn't the greatest, but it's what I have and I know it has a short turn-around time. Maybe we can get a real master made for the online distro?)

My last tracking is tentatively scheduled for this Sunday, 4/09. After that it'll be in Bill's hands for the final mix.

Bill, see above regarding the final track.

Hopefully you'll like the pro design we'll have made better than my feeble attempt. ;) All of the graphics will be a total redesign, to be sure. I don't know how much of my layout she'll want to use. I'm hoping we get some original artwork for the cover, too.

I can do a poor-man's mastering job, if there are no actual ME volunteers. The most important part, IMO, is matching volume levels between songs.

BTW, judging by the credits, it looks like none of my drum tracks were used on Eric's song "Water's Risin' High." Is that correct? I thought my tracks were used on at least the first half of the song, but I may have missed the final mix. I'm just double-checking to make sure the credits are accurate.

:thu:

Also, is there a final mix available of "Bad Wind on the Bayou"? I was under the impression Craig was going to mix that one. Is it done?

Hey Bunny:

Do you happen to have a WAV of the final mix of Primitive Existence? I could swear you sent me one, but I can't seem to find it in my highly organized electronic storage cabinet... :freak:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Bunny and Matt, check your PMs.

Well, I just got word back that the show is full, so I won't be performing on 4/20. Bummer, I was looking forward to it. However, they've still invited me to come down with the CDs. I guess I can bring a CD player and headphones for people to "try before they buy".

IMO, this makes the 4/20 deadline a little less urgent. While it would still be a good opportunity to release the CD (to a supportive crowd), it's just not the same without the support of a live performance.

I say let's keep working on this and see it through! If we don't think we've got a quality product by the time of the show, no harm done. But let's not let this project die to neglect! I don't think that would be fair to the people involved, or to the purpose for which we all came together.

CDBaby can handle CD sales as well as digital downloads, so we can have online distribution for the product if we go that way. (I don't see much use in contacting radio stations until this is done. Again, an anniversary date would be a good excuse for them to run what is more or less a PSA.)

Hopefully there will be more benefits; keep your eyes out. If not, we can always plan our own.

Aug. 29th isn't that far away (Katrina one-year anniversary); June 26th will be a year and a half for the Asian Tsunami (Dec. 26th).

Paul:

We had discussed possibly putting two arrangements of Rebuild on a CD, since Offramp's interpretation was very different from the other two. I think your's and Billster's mixes were very similar, so just work out which of those two is the preferred and go from there.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well, we still don't have the CD finished, so I didn't bother going to the 4/20 event at all.

Still trying to get my dog finished. Hopefully the last of the tracking will be done this week.

I still have to talk with some people to figure out how to set things up. Just a matter of making some phone calls, etc.

Sorry I lost some steam on this, guys. I should have more time when my church group takes a break for the summer.

Archived