Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10,000 Points of Light - Music composition/ Recording

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the phrase is, oh bugger...!

Well, thanks for trying anyway Pauline!!! :)

I have re-posted in the For The Band forum, where I assume Picker first saw a request for a singer so hopefully he or someone else will see it....!

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Just a thought, but could we use what Pauline recorded as a guide track for the vocals?? It may encourage any shy vocalists to come out of hiding if they have never sung an original before, there are a lot of covers singers in here, I think???

Thanks guys!

As John said time constraints, constuction issues, and technical glitches leaves me out for this round. But I look forward to any future collaborations. The song sounds great so far! Great work guys! I'll be there in spirit!

Pauline

My apologies to the powers-that-be for missing this deadline by such a wide mark. We have had some delays along the way. Rather than focus on what went wrong we need to focus on what next to do.

Here are the things we need:

1.) DRUMS. Offramp initially was in and then out and now he is busy working on another song. No big deal. Dave Sisk is in, but needs to check in. I will PM him now and see what the ETA is for his track.

2.) VOCALS. Picker originally contacted us and then went away and is back but still needs to track. I will follow up with a PM.

3.) TRACK COLLECTION. Anyone that has a file (APE'd or otherwise), please send it to me via http://www.yousendit.com Use jlampson - hotmail.com to kick it over to me. I'll put the files where Spencer can grab them.

4.) MIXING. This is completely dependent on getting the tracks together. We are about a week late on delivering this project and need to move quickly to get this done. I realize this is a lot of pressure, but I would like to collect all the tracks by Sunday so that Spencer can stop waiting on us.

Thanks to everyone involved. This is a great project and once we get a few more things completed we can move on to the next one!

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Hey folks:

I just posted two drum tracks. You can find them here:

www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/song3tracks

Tsunami3_ClickDrum1_16bit.wav is the drum kit track played pretty strictly to the click.

Tsunami3_ClickDrum2_16bit.wav is mostly the same drum line, but played a little behind the beat to sync up better with Alex's bass line. I turned the click off and just played along with Alex, so I think this one grooves a little better. But use whichever comes out to sound best in the final mix, and serves the song the best (or cut-n-paste between the two if you're feeling really adventurous!)

These have click on the left and drums on the right. I chose the most acoustic sounding voices I have available on the Yamaha DTX's. It's all on one track since it's e-drums (don't have a good way to get multiple tracks out). So, it's still probably not as good as acoustic drums, but at least it's a live drummer and not a drum machine. Hope this does the trick!

Best regards,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, is there any chance of getting individual channels vs a l/r mix of the kit? This might be a huge pain in the hole, but I had to ask.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

Dave, is there any chance of getting individual channels vs a l/r mix of the kit? This might be a huge pain in the hole, but I had to ask.

Cheers!

Spencer

Hey Spencer:

Afraid not. (Or at least not that I've ever actually been able to accomplish.) There's four outputs on the DTX drum brain, and supposedly you can assign different voices/triggers to different outputs, but I've never actually gotten it to work. (It's probably just operator-error on my part though.)

How about this: try what I've posted. If you have grave difficulties with it in the mix, let me know, and I'll go back and try to figure out how I can get individual outputs for kick, snare, toms, and cymbals. Fair enough?

Thx,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK Dave, I just listened to a bit of the track you posted. The sounds should be fine. I can warm/punch them up from what's there quite easily.

However: the click is still playing throughout the track :D .....could you re-post one that doesn't have the click in it?

If you get a chance to toy with it, all I'd need for seperate tracks would be: 1.Kick, 2. Snare, 3/4. the rest of them.

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

However: the click is still playing throughout the track :D .....could you re-post one that doesn't have the click in it?

Isn't the click on the left and the drums on the right?

Alex

No, everything is in the middle...

Cheers!

Spencer

OK Dave, I just listened to a bit of the track you posted. The sounds should be fine. I can warm/punch them up from what's there quite easily.

If you get a chance to toy with it, all I'd need for seperate tracks would be: 1.Kick, 2. Snare, 3/4. the rest of them.

Cheers!

Spencer

Hey man, double check me on this, but you should have the original click on left channel, and drums on the right channel. I did this just in case there's any nightmarish sync problems...you have a timing reference via the original click.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Well, I went back and checked, and it's still in the middle. That being said, I don't really need the click. I've got full editing capability in case I need to time shift anything. I'd rather have a stereo spread of the drums as like in a normal set-up. It'd be much easier that way.

Cheers and Thanks!

Spencer

Spencer:

I've reposted drum tracks. These are stereo WAV files, 16-bit, and have drums only! :freak:

Get 'em here: http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/song3tracks/

Same as before, Drums1 is the tracks strictly to the click, and Drums2 is a different take that swings with Alex...

Let me know if you run into any more issues, and thanks for your patience!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

What was the last we heard from him??

Want me to PM and/or try to get someone else involved???

Alex, are you free this week? Are you still interested in the vox??

I PMd him a couple of times and he did respond, however, he has not responded to my last PM and he did have some concerns about the technology aspect.

Alex, if you're still up for it and you have the time, lay something down and get it posted for the group. If not, Base, you can solicit a singer for us, cool?

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

I shall see what I can do, probably won't be able to do much more than spam other forumites tho :D

Alex, can you let us know if you want the gig first???

We don't seem to be attracting as many volunteers as the other groups, do we smell or something?? :cry:

Sweet. I'm back and DSL capable. I got the PM Dave, I'll check it out in a few minutes. I'm sure the new cut should be fine.

Cheers!

Spencer

I've recorded a couple of vocals for the track, one an octave higher than the other in the bridge/choruses. I'm uploading them as 24/48 wav files to http://www.spiderplant.net/alex/

They have no compression, reverb, eq, etc on them, just straight from the mic, through preamp to computer. Maybe that's why they sound awful... Or maybe that's just me being rubbish... I'd upload more takes so a half-decent composite could be made but these two takes will take a few hours to get up there. These two vocals are not meant to be lead and backing but on some parts they may sound good simultaneously, otherwise use whichever sounds least bad!

Anyone else want to contribute a better vocal? The man himself, John?

Ah, what have I got myself into? Shut up and play yo' bass! At least that has a reasonable range which sounds decent - in this key I was either stuck at the top end or bottom end of my more pleasant range.

Stop gibbering...

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for laying down some singing stuff. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but we'll get it sorted out, don't worry.

The APEd guitar files are up for you, Spencer. They are in the previous directory I gave but there is now a new subdirectory. You'll see it.

This is coming along a lot more slowly than we anticipated but it will finally come to fruition soon, I know it. As far as vocals, I would prefer someone else handle them for this tune, however, I'm not completely opposed to providing them if absolutely necessary. I just think there are much more talented vocalists than myself, first and foremost.

Good night or morning, everyone.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Archived