Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10,000 Points of Light - Music composition/ Recording

Have you listened to the rough mixes to get an idea of the song? I'm sure things will change for the better once we get you the raw tracks, and I'm being hopeful that Monday you will be able to mix these.

Yes, I listened to a very early version of it. Should be fun. I'll probably not listen to it again until I get all of the tracks up in front of me - I like to mix impulsively sometimes. I usually come up with some pretty good ideas that way.

Is it possible to bandpass some of the tinkle of the piano out during the verse parts since it kinda makes the verse music sound different than what I thought?

Yep, no problem there. I've got lots of automation to deal with that sort of thing.

BTW, I'm looking forward to this. As far as I can tell, no one here has heard anything I've ever worked on...should be interesting :D

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Spencer, I'll be tracking the bass this evening. I'll do it with no EQ or compression and you can add the smidgeon that'll be required to help it sit in the mix.

Alex

What's your bass channel set-up?

If you've got a nice EQ, don't be shy about using it. :thu:

Cheers!

Spencer

Listened to the piano mix, good stuff but to me the sound doesn't fit. Is this something that will be different in the final mix, or could maybe a different sound be used (don't know if you are playing an actual piano or an electronic keyboard?).

Like the melodies tho :thu:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Ok. I just listened to part of the pianomix.mp3. I have one comment:

Something is hugely out-of-tune...I'm not sure what exactly, I think it's one of the guitars.

Anyone else hearing that?

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by Spencer Crewe:

What's your bass channel set-up?

'87 Warwick Streamer with reverse-P/J EMGs and Aguilar OBP-3, through SWR Grand Prix, straight into Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. I'm not afraid of EQ - I just rarely need it! :) Compression likewise.

My hands tend to give me enough tone control on their own. Live I tend to twiddle the EQ as I play (as well as using more effects than you can shake a stick at!) but I have a feeling that when tracking it's best to keep the signal chain as clean and simple as possible to get the resonant punchy midrange through that sits so well on 'tape'.

When recording my last band we got a fantastic sound with two mics on the kit, one on the guitar amp and the bass DI'd, onto ye olde Tascam cassette 4-track. Strange but true!

Alex

I'll revisit the guitar thing. The two main chords on the clean part are D and G and it's the G string (on the guitar, silly!) that is suspect. I'll see if I can throw a microphone on the acoustic instead. It would greatly increase the tone of that part anyway.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Originally posted by Base:

Listened to the piano mix, good stuff but to me the sound doesn't fit. Is this something that will be different in the final mix, or could maybe a different sound be used (don't know if you are playing an actual piano or an electronic keyboard?).

Like the melodies tho :thu:

As I listen more, I think the sound doesn't fit. Which is why I asked Spencer earlier about bringing down the tinkly part of the piano. I'm playing piano samples, so I'll just move on to a less tinkly sample and see if that works.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Wow! Lots of progress since I left yesterday. Excellent (insert evil laughter here).

For what it's worth, a warm, full piano sound would work better. I can always take away what I don't need in terms of frequencies. But I find it more dificult to warm something up that has little bottom end on it originally. Not impossible, just a bit harder... :D

Cheers!

Spencer

Guys

I've had a go at putting some stuff down over the last one John put up. Sorry the recording is a bit rough. Have a listen and let me know what you think and if it is worth recording properly for the track. Its a bit repetitive but I figured SPence could use it certain places rather than all through....

HERE

I like the leads you have more than the rhythm. Perhaps it is just the sound and part of that could just be MP3 compression.

I like the lead at the beginning and the little fills during the verses (those are awesome). I also like the lead ideas you have for during the arpeggiated chorus part. Perhaps if it was a slightly softer tone (like strings) it would fit better.

The unison bends on the last chorus are great, too. Good job!

As always, the above is only my opinion, so there.

-----------

John\'s Songs

Oops, my bad, I was rushing out :o The link should work now!

Thanks! Which bits do you mean by the rhythm??

Could our resident keysman, or maybe Nursers if his offer still stands, play the lead bit in the arrpegiated sections as strings on a synth and see how that sounds??

I recorded this on a Zoom PS-02, which is a pain in the rear to get back onto the PC at a decent quality. I may need some advice if I record anything to a click track, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it :D

I would like for you to participate in this project. Perhaps you could do all the leads and I could stick to rhythm.

What I meant by the rhythm guitar "issue," was not the playing. That's fine. The sound is all that was bothering me, personally, but that might be that you are having a difficult time porting the data back to the computer.

Regardless, I really like the ideas you've imparted.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

That's fine by me, if everyone involved is ok with these parts. I just wasn't sure which parts I'd recorded that you were referring to as rhythm (I often get confused with this tho :D ) , you mean the lines in the heavier sections?

I'm quite new to collaborative recordings, would it work better if I used quite a basic distortion (or clean) and set the EQ's to 0?

Thanks for keep feeding back too, I appreciate it :thu:

Originally posted by Base:

Could our resident keysman, or maybe Nursers if his offer still stands, play the lead bit in the arrpegiated sections as strings on a synth and see how that sounds??

I guess since noone else here answers to "resident keysman", I'll check out the strings idea and see what I come up with.

Though it's my opinion that I'd like to hear the vocals on this before I add anything more. I was going to do a hammond track, but i think that would be overkill considering the direction we are now going.

Come on, throw on about 12 keyboard patches! I already have about 7 guitar tracks on there, we might as well load it up!

Speaking of vocals, Alex, have you had a chance to throw down a vocal track on there? Since Picker, our original offered vocalist, has not shown himself, I'd like for you to step up and make us proud.

Rewriting lyrics or rearrangement of melody is definitely a possibility but a scratch vocal with your voice will help further define the direction of this project. So there.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

No vocals recorded yet, but the bass is done! :)

I'm uploading an MP3 mix of guitar/programmed drums minus kick/bass (all on the right with click on the left), and also the 24/48 stereo .wav (with click on the left and bass on the right) compressed to an .ape file. They can be found here:

http://www.spiderplant.net/alex/

Now to think about these vocals...

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

No vocals recorded yet, but the bass is done! :)

I'm uploading an MP3 mix of guitar/programmed drums minus kick/bass (all on the right with click on the left), and also the 24/48 stereo .wav (with click on the left and bass on the right) compressed to an .ape file. They can be found here:

http://www.spiderplant.net/alex/

Now to think about these vocals...

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for the bass file but Monkey Audio 3.99 has an error on the file at the 3:16 mark while I was listening to it on winamp. Could you see if you have that problem too, and if so, can you recompress that wav file?

Just givin a heads up. Sounds good up to that point. :thu:

Originally posted by EDinWestLA:

...but Monkey Audio 3.99 has an error on the file at the 3:16 mark while I was listening to it on winamp...

Just been trying to check it myself and Monkey Audio is refusing to do anything (and I don't have a .ape player). So as I can't recompress the original .wav I'm just going to upload the giant 24/48 .wav file! It'll be at the same location as before.

Alex

I left Alex's bass track downloading when I left home this morning, so I should have that by now. Is a final rhythm guitar track up anywhere??? Soon as I have that I should be able to record.

BTW, This morning I listened back to what I posted after listening to your original track, I see what you mean about the rhythm sound, yes, it was just the device I used to pull it all together screwed up some of the sound! I'll record the final one straight into the PC, it'll be a lot better quality :thu:

As a sidenote - seeing as we are getting close to the end of the recording process on this one, I'd like to remind all of you involved of how the finished files should be:

- 24 BIT/48KHz .WAV files preferred, AIFF is ok, but not ideal

- the individual tracks should be a continuous file, starting from zero. If theree is editing to do, it'd be great if you could do it beforehand. If you want me to do it, you'll have to send me an extremely detailed e-mail of the desired edit. I've no problem doing edits if needed.

- if possible, could someone compile a "who played what" list? For my own organizational purposes moreso than anything esle.... :P

Cheers!

Spencer

Aarghh, grrrrr, etc...

Not a single XLR lead in the house! Not even the one I keep plugged into my bass preamp's DI; which means they're all at my (now ex-) drummer's rehearsal studio; and I'm away on business from tomorrow until the weekend.

Anyone else fancy stepping into the vocal chair?

Alex

Archived