Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10,000 Points of Light - Music composition/ Recording

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three versions posted so far:

1.) No vocals and basic drums.

2.) Vocals and better drums.

3.) Vocals (mixed lower) and drums with no kick.

Here is the chord chart for the song. It is recorded at 130bpm.

Verse 1

D G

The children that didn't share,

the adults angry cares,

Em D/F# C G

life is a happy game from your Mother's embrace,

D G

The sea has always been,

a friend to you and me,

Em

nothing can hurt you from your Fathers arms....

Verse 2

D G

10,000 points of light,

little fingers holding tight,

too young to understand

why everything they had,

Em D/F# C G

everything they knew no longer stands,

D G

what was once a friend,

has now brought a bitter end,

Em D/F# C G

and taken away the arms that kept you safe...

Chorus

(arpeggiated)

Bm G Em

The tears on her cheek,

the havoc that's been wreaked,

G D Em D G/B C

the joy in her face that has been washed away,

Bm G Em

lost her home,

lost her school,

nowhere else to play,

the land that was so green,

G D Em D G/B C

golden beaches, the homes we need,

now it's all turned grey...

Bridge / Verse 3

I could never take the place

of the ones you loved,

but if you let me in I'll give you my shelter,

Let me bear you home,

let me share the pain,

and together we can recover,

and build what will come after...

-----------

John\'s Songs

Excellent :thu:

If no drummer steps up, would you be able to program drums as well?? Not the same I know but if needs must...

That would also enable you to lay down the guitar and drum tracks and give everyone else something to work with to get their parts down and progress this?

Keeping 10,000 points of light and using it as a title is a good idea too!

Just a thought, but the way you have slowed the song down on the lost her home, etc segment, it sounds to me that a chorus of backing vocals AHH'ing could sound quite nice there, what does everyone else think??

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Some lush background vocals would be nice. I like that idea. Do you mind posting the lyrics that you had made some changes to in the lyrics thread?

The aaahs and such would be great. I haven't heard anymore from our singer so I'll need to get on that.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

I've added a rough bassline to John's demo (guitars, scratch vocal and hi-hat/snare) and mixed it down to an MP3. I've mixed the bass quite hot so you can hear what I'm doing and... because I'm a bassist! ;)

Tsunami Song 3 with guitars, scratch vocals and bass

The next step is to put together the real and full length thang - can we get a guide guitar track with click done? Then I'll add the bass as a stereo track with click so it can be synced and so on until everyone's done their bit. And then off to Mr Mixerman!

Alex

Mixerman is mixing this one? Sorry, old joke.

EdinWestLA has put down a rough keyboard track that I really liked. So that everyone can put down their raw tracks to the same initial guide.

Sorry I haven't been more responsive today. I'm actually not at home but am checking in every so often.

-----------

John\'s Songs

And we'll call ourselves, Bitch Slap too. (just to go along with the old joke...)

Thanks for the love on the rough mix I did. If you want to share it with the others to get an idea of how I look at the song, go ahead. And yes, it is hot towards my playing just to get an idea of what I'm thinking. I'd rather wait after I hear the drums, bass and guitar tracks are really done before putting my stuff on.

We won't have a drummer? Yikes...

We'll call ourselves Project Click Track, perhaps. Anyway, as far as a drummer, my MIDI drums may be what gets used. We'll see on that one. I'm going to create a directory on my web server with the compressed, raw files in SHN (Shorten) format. These files will be 24-bit, 48khz WAVs.

I'll also post MP3 versions of them as well. The tracks will have the click track at 130bpm on the left side and the actual track on the right side. I will be inserting two blank measures of click track at the beginning and two blank measures of click track at the end of the song.

I will first post, though, a simple rhythm guitar and click mix, for the bass and keyboards to work from.

Look for these shortly. I'll export them now.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

http://www.khuh.org/lot/upload/_john/FoF-TS3/

This is the directory we will use to house all the files. Go ahead and grab what's there and you can use yousendit.com or something for sending the files back to me. I'll upload them for Spencer to grab and mix as he sees fit.

You might want to use the APE file and decompress it to WAV. MP3 compression sometimes shifts the timing slightly. Bummer about that, but it does happen.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Hey guys:

If no drummer steps up, PM me and let me know...if you can wait until I get back in town next week, I can take a whack live electronic drums if you want (not quite as good as acoustic drums, but still better than a drum machine).

Here's what the Yamaha DTX2's (can) sound like...fairly realistic. http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/Fear_SiskBassAndDrums.mp3

(As you can probably tell, I heard Rush all over song #1... ;) )

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Cool!!

I believe the deadline is this week as they are trying to add a song every Sunday, but Nursers probably gets to make that call. Oh Nuuurrsers????? :wave:

Some real drums would be nice, and actually I've just had an idea which I'll follow up now :idea:

John, the last set of lyrics I posted in the lyric forum are the most up to date I think (apart from chaging a thousand back to Ten thousand, but I'll amend that now)...

There's a third verse for which I put a copy of the existing verses. There's another chorus at the end and then the last part repeats and then ends on a BANG! This arrangement could easily be moved around if desired, with no real issue. We need to finalize the arrangement quickly, so whatever the group decides would be great.

I would like to see the part where the guitar solo is currently to have some sort of keyboard solo or something. Guitar solos, while lacking in today's music, are too pedestrian. Let's have something a bit different, perhaps. Maybe a bass/drum solo?

-----------

John\'s Songs

Originally posted by Base:

Cool!!

I believe the deadline is this week as they are trying to add a song every Sunday, but Nursers probably gets to make that call. Oh Nuuurrsers????? :wave:

Some real drums would be nice, and actually I've just had an idea which I'll follow up now :idea:

John, the last set of lyrics I posted in the lyric forum are the most up to date I think (apart from chaging a thousand back to Ten thousand, but I'll amend that now)...

Heya,

There's no set deadline, just the motivation to get songs up there as soon as feasible, so do what you can :thu::thu:

This is already a much different song than the first one and probably different than the second one will be. While the song and the message is truly what matters, there's no reason that a slightly different sound can't bring the same feeling of hope (while not forgetting the suffering and the empathy) as a more upbeat song.

Therefore, I vote for keyboards. I'm glad, in retrospect, that I didn't propose a death metal song instead of what I came up with, not to make light of the ultimate goal, mind you.

-----------

John\'s Songs

No guitar solo!!!!!! :eek:

Yeah, some nice solo keyboards would be cool. It looks like song 2 won't be up until next weekend so I don't think it is quite so pressured. Hopefully I can lay down something after all, but as everything is covered I'll watch how it progresses & maybe I could put down a few guitar fills or frilly bits.

Regarding drums, I asked someone else if they'd be interested but won't say anymore as I don't want to commit them if they aren't, but sounds good that there are a few options now :thu:

John:

I gave it a whack. For some reason, I'm not "getting it"...don't know if it's the song structure, or the scratch drums throwing me off where structure is concerned, or what. Maybe if it gets a little more defined--vocals, guitar parts, bass, etc.--I can figure it out.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Could someone give me a rundown as to what's done and what's left to do? I need to call ahead and book the studio in advance of mixing.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Alex,

Get that over to me and tonight I'll clean up the guitars. Ed still has to do his solo and perhaps we can get a drum track as well. We'll be cutting it close but I think we can have the tracking done either tonight or tomorrow.

Then the fun begins as Spencer makes magic out of our music.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Alex,

As picker has not checked back in nor responded to the PM I sent him, it looks like you have pulled vocal duties. Please throw down a rough track if you can so we can get an idea of your take on the lyrics. That way, if things need to get rearranged instrumentally to better suit the lyrical message, we can do that at that time.

Spencer,

Have you listened to the rough mixes to get an idea of the song? I'm sure things will change for the better once we get you the raw tracks, and I'm being hopeful that Monday you will be able to mix these.

Offramp,

Are you up for drums? What do you need? I posted a few tracks so I don't know if one of those works for you or if you just want a version with click only on the left channel and then the mix on the other side or something. I'd like to have you drum on this if you're feeling no pain now.

Group,

Please post what your feelings on various parts of the track are. Proper feedback is the only way this is going to be the best we can make it, and I don't mean microphonic feedback!

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

As John has noted, I did do a piano part. It's in the FoF-TS3-pianomix.mp3 in John's music directory at his site. Anyone following the status of this song, please listen and give some feedback.

Spencer:

Is it possible to bandpass some of the tinkle of the piano out during the verse parts since it kinda makes the verse music sound different than what I thought?

As it is, I do have a hammond part I want to put in as well as the solo. I have ideas on both and want to finish at least one tonight or both if I feel satisfied with it. Then have the Friday on for any feedback anyone has regarding tracks.

Let me echo John's sentiments that just because tracks are contributed doesn't mean it's done. At least for me, I welcome feedback to all following the process of this song.

Archived