Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami song 1 - Music

Okay folks, I think Tedster is off to a good start here. And genre wise, it's definitely something I feel I can get into and contribute SOMETHING to.

First off, let's have a little guideline thing for the song. First of all, we're all going to be doing some FTP file transfers and so forth, correct? I assume so. Next up, we need to work from a common reference. May I suggest we all start with a common file, with a set clicktrack tempo and work from that?

Once "who's doing what" is determined, we should probably get a stereo submix (mono track of submixed gtr / scr. vocals panned hard to one side, referenced to the DAW's "zero" on the timeline, with a click track hard panned to the other side) of scratch BWF or WAV or AIF from Tedster to the drummer and let him / her do their thing. Then on to bass, guitars, keys, etc. Assuming Bunny decides to come down here to do his mix, I'll need to D/L the individual tracks from everyone and get them ready for him here. Not a problem - I'll just need to have the FTP address.

My main point is that, in order to make things as easy as possible for Bunny, it would help to have everyone working off of a common rough, with a common / solid tempo. That way we're all referencing the same thing, and we'll spend less time working on "problems" at mix time, and Bunster will have more time to work on the "creative" side of mixing.

Tedster, What is the BPM's on your demo?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're absolutely right Phil. Once Ted provides the BPM we can use the demo provided as the common track, unless people insist on having all the lyrics in there in which case that will delay things a little. I personally think we have the basic structure there to move forward.

Good morning.

Yeah...last night I was having SCREAMING FITS OF RAGE (ask my daughter Lindsay) over my computer trying every way to thwart every possible attempt to post that track.

I record in another building, on a computer that's not online. So, I basically have to burn what I do on a CD and bring it into the house, and upload to the web from there.

So I record my track. Save it as a .wav. Insert the CD and click "burn".

"FUCK YOU. THE SPECIFIED FILE IS NOT A MUSIC FORMAT".

WHAT? It's a freackin' .wav file, how much more "MUSIC" do you want?

So, I convert it to mp3. The stupid CD burner will let me burn it now. Bring the CD into the house...stick it in the drive...upload it to my website. Upload takes barely a second. What the hey? This can't be a 2MB file. Sure enough, some dumbass thing has converted it to a .cda file...like 44 bytes or something. WHAT THE ARRRHGHGHGHGGHH!!! So...I try to convert it in drive D: to mp3 (again?) The CD is in drive D: but no pulldown menu appears to transfer the source file to a destination file. WHAT THE FUCK! I can't select the file if there's no pulldown menu. So, I try to save it to disk. Oh, it does that...and puts it in some obscure directory in the bowels of the computer mortals aren't meant to see. By this time I'm a screaming fucking lunatic ready to haul the computer down to the neighbor's pond so it can sleep with the fishes. Lindsay hears me screaming and cursing, and comes down and offers to help. I'm babbling and drooling and foaming at the mouth, so she ushers me to a comfy chair and proceeds to fiddle about for another half hour, before announcing "There it is"...in .wma format. WHAT THE FUCK. Oh well, at least it's in a format some can hear. So I upload the thing...shaking...collapse into my bedroom.

I'll try to make it into an mp3 tonight.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Love the track ted!!

if i'd known there was problem i would have converted it to mp3 for y'all at home, i'm at work now. might have speeded thing a bit.

i might try some kind of acoustic intro later... it can only add to the basket of thoughts.. and like everyone else.. not the least bit offended if it doesn't pass the decision process at the mixing end. :D:D

Hey Nursers and all. I have been looking into my resources here, and my computer/software/connection/etc just won't be up to this.

If, however, anyone participating in this is in the NYC area, I'd try to connect and record with them.

If not... Forceman/Sylver (and others), I'll defer to your skills.

Of course, any promotional duties (or anything else) I can attempt to make happen from here, I'd be glad to. Just let me know...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I like the melody and chord structure.

The rhythm is nice, but I'm wondering if it might be a little limiting. It seems that the way it's laid down, all of the instruments are kind of locked into certain patterns as it is(I think that's a function of the .

I was hearing a regge-ish thing going on to that melody and chords. It sure would free up the guitar, bass, drums and keyboard parts, and add the possibility of throwing in some percussion.

Besides, it would make things a little more cross cultural.

Waddya'll think?

I really don't know what to put here.

Shars- Check your PMs.

Forceman- I have a couple of ideas. I am with Sylver on the idea of some cross-cultural flavor, as this touches so many everywhere. I could definitely record a line, but the technical part (music file transfers in differing formats) is beyond my current capabilities at home. I thought I could pull it off, but...

Sorry. :(

I could "phone in" ideas, or a few lines of staff, or something.

I'll be back... :)

Peace,

wraub

I like the melody and chord structure.

The rhythm is nice, but I'm wondering if it might be a little limiting. It seems that the way it's laid down, all of the instruments are kind of locked into certain patterns as it is(I think that's a function of the .

I was hearing a regge-ish thing going on to that melody and chords. It sure would free up the guitar, bass, drums and keyboard parts, and add the possibility of throwing in some percussion.

Besides, it would make things a little more cross cultural.

Waddya'll think?

I think it's wide open for interpretations to be assembled by the mixers. :)

It might make sense to work from loops as we are going along, that way it makes arranging it a whole lot easier, and it also makes file sizes much more manageable.

For example, from Ted's original idea, we have two main sections, so the guitarist(s) could come up with a part for each section, make a loop out of it(or someone else could if said guitarist(s) are not comfortable doing it), then pass the loops on, the next player makes a loop part, etc.

Hey, another advantage: the parts become mix and match and more players could contribute without too mcuh mucking about.

After, we have all the parts, arranging is a snap, then we can either go with the looped arrangement, or players could create a whole performance based on the new arrangement, or, a combo of both.

I really don't know what to put here.

Hi everyone!

I've done some vague effort for the intro. its at the bottom of this page . I'll try post it on the ftp site once i work out if i was on the right one.

An just to re-iterate, i'm not the least bit bothered if it won't be used, this is about getting a good track for a good cause, and any way anyone can suggest i could help, i'll gladly do my best! :)

I did post tedsters song in mp3 format on the ftp site, but i'm not sure even if thats the right site! it had two folders, one called "incoming" and one called "pub". teds one is in the "incoming" folder.

Originally posted by forceman:

Opening it up, allowing for more cross-cultural initrepretation makes sense. After all, this is a first-pass on this.

Wraub, if you have any way of digitizing your lines (and subsequently post them), and if you are interested, I could get them into an acceptable format for the mixing phase.[/QB]

Steve, I am definitely interested, but unsure how to proceed on my end musically. I am looking into the resources of friends. I'll let ya know, thanks for the offer.

I have a few calls out re: promo stuff, and will follow through on that for sure.

Peace,

wraub

Originally posted by forceman:

Effective intro IMO.

However, can we get permission to use the news report sample??

I really don't know about that!

I mentioned this queery the first time i posted about the idea, does nayone have the info on permission.

you never know, if we like the idea, permision might be easy to get!? its just the BBC.. we're bigger than them :D

FOund a better way to post my contributions

just have a link to the mp3, then its downloadable from here.

Link to my contribution

This is the one with a small guitar bit aswell just to carry over till teds tune comes in.

Any change suggestions? :cool:

I don't know how to get permission for these samples, so if anyone could throw me a bone i'd be happy to follow it up! :) cheers :cool:

Ok...thx

add all links to the website www.Musicians4asia.tk and give them as much info as possible, infact the more, the merrier but make it clear the website still needs finishing and because its a collaboration across the world, we hope to have it in tiptop order by tomorrow morning the latest.

Also add that we would like to make people aware of this fundraiser and any help they can offer, would be great.

The more you make them aware of what we are doing, the more publicity we can get to the site and the more we can raise.

Originally posted by Chris_C:

FOund a better way to post my contributions

just have a link to the mp3, then its downloadable from here.

Link to my contribution

This is the one with a small guitar bit aswell just to carry over till teds tune comes in.

Any change suggestions? :cool:

I don't know how to get permission for these samples, so if anyone could throw me a bone i'd be happy to follow it up! :) cheers :cool:

I like it, Chris!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived