Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ready for music again?

Hi Folks:

Well, it has been a dizzying few weeks, has it not. Here in the New York area, people are still staggering about. Some of us are trying to get back into the flow, others -- after keeping these horrible events at bay for a while -- are just now getting hit with their first wave of shock.

Personally, I'm just beginning to feel like making some music again. Some of the time, I think about the Twin Towers when I'm playing, but other times, I'm back to where I was before these horrible events happened. That personal creative space is a safe one -- safer than I ever realized before.

I was wondering what others were experiencing. How do you feel about music now (your own or the music of others)? Does it make you feel comforted? Sad? Strong? Guilty?

All of the above?

Best to all of you

Emile Menasche

• 1 month later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...I felt really weird about even listening to music for a good couple of weeks after Sept. 11th. I felt as though I had no right to indulge in any happiness with so much suffering in my own backyard. After some soul searching, I decided it was time to move on. Which isn't to say I'm forgetting about the victims and their families. Or, the thousands of innocents in afganistan who will suffer a horrible fate, too. But I concluded that I am still here for a reason. And to not move on would be doing injustice to myself and the victims. So, empowered is the best way to descibe how making music always has, and always will make me feel. ~nel

ps...I never noticed this forum before and was drawn to your location of mahopac, ny. I grew up in Yorktown Hts. and went on many school outings to the mahopac petting zoo (off rt 6 (?). Small world, eh?

My sentiments exactly. I had a lot happen that day. It was my birthday. At first I was in shock. Second, why did this have to happen? We gotta remember that music can give comfort in a troubled time. It took me quite a few days to want to even here some music. That whole period was so surreal. It made me a news junkie. CNN, NPR, the majors and cable news. It was so unreal. I can't imagine what it is actual like in the place where it all took place.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

The answer is YES!

Ready for music!

Besides a day job and about 4-5 hours a day commuting, rocket allows me to check sessions and spend an hour or so a couple of times a week to jam without having to load up the equipment and drive some more. I just got invited to be part of a virtual band called LogiCrew. We're working on our first tune called Project One. It's great to have musical influences from around the globe! Way too addicting, but much cheaper than gasoline!

Keep on tracking!

Dave :cool:

no matter where you go, there you are...

http://johnnypistolaband.com

Emile:

Did you go to the mighty YHS? I graduated in '92. The world is overrun by shopping malls, home depots and the like. Any town, USA. It's sad realy. Pleaes excuse the crypic-ness of this post to all not getting it. We both grew up in the same suburb of nyc. ~nel

Archived