Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAW Controllers Poll

Okay, I really liked Craig's DAW controller article in this month's issue of EQ, and it got me thinking "maybe this would make a good topic for a (OT! :eek: ) poll". So, here's what I'd like to do: For you DAW owners, or potential DAW owners, please answer the poll question, and then feel free to comment regarding what you like about controllers (and whatever specific one you use) or why you don't feel controllers are for you, or what you feel should be added to / cheanged with current generation controllers to make them better..

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serious center section would have to be my $1 wish. A separate button-selectable mode for the faders would work. It seems that together with something like MOTU's new Cuemix DSP, this could really kick native up a notch. I guess you could say that my #0 wish is for one unit that works seamlessly with whatever app I want. I switch between Logic, DP, and Reason a lot, and this Macke vs Emagic stuff about the control surfaces is doing nothing but making users angry with all parties involved. I understand the Radikal 2.2 is looking better these days.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I bought a [url=http://www.cmlabs.net/MotorMixPage.htm]Motor Mix[/url] over a year ago and I finally started using it when I got around to redoing my studio setup a few months ago. I like that it works well with ProTools (my main DAW) and now also with Digital Performer (my second main DAW). It can also work in HUI emulation mode with my copies of Logic Audio and Cubase VST. I really like the Motor Mix's small footprint, because my workspace is also littered with other controllers, such as [url=https://motifato-mach7.4ecommerce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=PB&Category_Code=P]Phat Boy[/url] , [url=http://www.contouravs.com/cav_shuttlepro_info.html]Shuttle Pro[/url] , and [url=http://www.piengineering.com/product/pxkpro.htm]X-Keys Pro[/url] . (I highly recommend that you check these out as well.) The Motor Mix's price was also right: I think I paid $795. Its resolution isn't as fine as other controllers'; but in the cases in which that matters, I can still use my mouse and/or computer keyboard.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

An EZBus is a great addition as the centerpiece for a Home Studio. It's a great machine You will read about that on October's EQ ;)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

My Roland VS works fine as a volume controller in Sonar,but I'm too lazy too use it most of the time.That pretty much tell me that I'd be wasting my $$ on a dedicated one with more features.I do however use midi controllers (ie:Roland Octapad for drums,Rolan G1-10 midi guitar controller).When it comes to mixing though,I usually gravitate towards the easy way out.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

:cool: Thanks, Geoff and Phil !! ... Well... Don't forget to check KEYBOARD MAG too... :D They are including this month -October- an interview I did to Gustavo Liamgot, Keyboardist of "Los Fabulosos Cadillacs", the best Argentinian Rock band.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Well, so far there's been ten responses and only one person stated they preferred the mouse / keyboard over a dedicated controller. Interesting... I would have thought the votes would have been less lopsided, since I know some people (to me, it seems like mostly younger people with less "real" mixer experience, or who have been using DAWS since day one) definitely prefer the mouse / keyboard and don't really see the need for a controller surface. Any other thoughts / votes / opinions? Yes, IOW, I'm bumping my own thread. ;)

Okely-dokely, Phil. Here ya go. I am a dedicated Cakewalk/SONAR user and I don't feel any need for a controller. The keyboard and mouse works just fine for me. I suppose having a row of actual faders would be nice sometimes, but I would need a controller with 50+ faders, or multiple digital banks of 8 faders that I would have to keep switching between. The only complaint I have about the mouse is that after about 8-10 hours of recording/mixing, my wrist starts to get sore. But that would probably happen with a controller, too. Anyway, a controller costs dough that I'd rather spend on other gear. And I would have to make room for it, too, in my small garage studio.

I have a Control 24 on my Pro Tools rig, and would never go back to mousing it. Just finished a Logic Control review (September issue) -- changed the whole way I work with the program. And literally today received a Mackie Control and Mackie Baby HUI -- am anxious to dig into those. Maybe it's due to being old enough (just barely) to have earned my chops mixing on an analog desk, but I'm really getting into this whole controller thing.
the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

I have used a Houston Control with Nuendo and it makes a big difference to me. I think that looking at the screen and using a mouse is too distracting. Having moving faders makes it easier to concentrate on the mix and makes work faster. I want to get a Baby HUI for my home studio. I use CubaseSX so I'll be looking for support for the device from Steinberg.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by dbunny: [b]Okely-dokely, Phil. Here ya go. I am a dedicated Cakewalk/SONAR user and I don't feel any need for a controller. The keyboard and mouse works just fine for me. I suppose having a row of actual faders would be nice sometimes, but I would need a controller with 50+ faders, or multiple digital banks of 8 faders that I would have to keep switching between. The only complaint I have about the mouse is that after about 8-10 hours of recording/mixing, my wrist starts to get sore. But that would probably happen with a controller, too. Anyway, a controller costs dough that I'd rather spend on other gear. And I would have to make room for it, too, in my small garage studio.[/b][/quote]Completely understandable, and a valid approach. But don't you find yourself missing the ability to "grap" multiple faders at once? Thanks for your comments and participation in the tread - I was definitely looking for opinions from "all sides". :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b]I noticed you mentioned that in the article Craig... One question: Is it bi-directional control? IOW, when you move a fader onscreen, does the fader in the DAW controlling "layer" on the DA7 move or are they non-motorized faders for DAW control?[/b][/quote]Yes is it bi-directional. I can move a fader on the DA7 and PT will move.... I can also move a fader in PT and the DA7 fader will move. All motorized. Very cool deal for a great mixer AND a control surface for about $2000 right now. Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

I H :mad: TE the mouse. Got keyboard shortcuts for all the usual things in Samplitude, been waiting for Logic Control or some similar version of the same (Mackie, actually) controller to work with Samplitude. OTOH a controller is way down the shopping list below a big pile of analog gear. -Bobro

Archived