Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kick drum mic

MK1

i have an AKG d112 built into my kick, lately a few sound engineers have been slating it prefering the shure kick drum mic, but the d112 has never let me down and was always the industry standard, i am looking to get the new Audix mic but am still convinced that there isn't anything wrong with the d112

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I own the D112 and a few others.

I do not think the D112 is the so-called industry standard. I think it may be widely used in project studios, but the AKG D12 not the D112 is the one that enabled the D112 to get its some-what misguided following. The D112 does not sound like the D12 despite the AKG claims.

If you were going to change, and there is some merit in it IMO, you should consider the EV N/D868 over the Audix IMO, but there's really nothing wrong with any of them. They all have their place, all have their sound per se.

I find the D112 a much better floor tom mic than for bass drum. I do not think it to be clear or have enough depth without reaching for the EQ. I have come to use the EV RE20 more so than any. After considerable time with the D112, it just doesn't do it for me, especially with it tucked inside the bass drum.

Try your outside the front head, about even with the face of the head, aimed at the beater impact point. I think you'll find it sounds considerably better than used inside the drum.

sorry should have said it is the industry standard over here in the UK however have just bought an Audix D6 and cannot wait to try it out next weekend!!

anyone else use one?

Originally posted by (RhythmInMind):

i've got one, great mic.. i use it internally..

Oooh, that's gotta hurt! ;)

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

The D112 is a good mic, but I've always found it to be a bit vague and "wooly" for my tastes in kick drum sounds.

The best mic I've ever used both live and in the studio in a Beyer Dynamics M88. Mine is an older one, but you can put it almost anywhere in the kick and get that fat, full sound without much effort (compared to the D112).

FWIW, I also have a D112, and pretty much retired it after using the Beyer.

Check it out if you get a chance, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Peace,

Quarterwave

Archived