Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

got a prob with kick drum

MK1

ok so i just got a new Pearl ELX and the hoops on the kick are wood, i have the mk1 tama iron cobra dbl pedal, and have to keep it tight onto the hoop as it slips from left to right otherwise,

i do play with the kick at a slight angle (about 95 degrees to my body) however the pedal is starting to take chunks out of the hoop!!

i have tried a piece of card board on it but this adds to the slippage [problem

any ideas????

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there isn't a metal guard on the kick hoop? i'm not sure if its just the master customs or not but my kit has one... i'd go to a dealer and convince them to take one off a kit... but something is basically wrong with your setup... your pedal should be able to stay in place. first make sure your on carpet. your pedal should have spikes and or Velcro to keep them in place. your bass drum should be lifted just off the ground with the front legs. the pearl leg spikes stop the drum from drifting. the weight of the drum pushing back onto the pedal should be all you really need.. but like i said the pedal should be pretty well seated on it's own..
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

• 2 weeks later...

Eric, what do mean by metal guard?? I play a premiere genista kit which also is a bare wood hoop, However, I have no problems with it..I either use a small rubber custioning pad or (now) a couple of the red Tama hoop protectors that come in packets - Theres a few dents on the hoop but nothing major considering Ive been using the drum for years

Mk1 Plese feel free to shoot me if im being right patronising here, but...are you sure the pedal is fastened correctly? I only ask because Thoses iron cobras have two stages of fastening with the preset knob and then tightening screw (If you just got the pedal you may not have realised!!)

ok like i said in the original post i have the first issue of the iron cobra which has a very different fastener to the new ones, two rubber feet at the bottom for the hoop and one rubber/plastic shoe on the top,

the slipping from left to right is only ever caused by wooden hoops (and pearl over here stuck on a rather tacky and cheap piece of glass paper to attatch the pedal too)

however i have taken the advice of SS above and bought a piece of felt and not only does it solve the problem it also protects the hoop so well done SS whoever you are

as for being patronising... no offence taken it is hard to know if you are talking to a novice/long term player/adult or kid on a forum

i am a 35 year old player and have played for 18 years thanks anyway guys!

and well done again to SS

I guess my reply was somewhat patronising so please forgive me. I'm not that kind of person, I was just in a hurry and didn't have time for common manners. Actually I'm 30 years old and have been on the drums since the age of 10, so I have no excuse (haha). Glad it helped!!

1.Hoogie

2.Hoogie

3.Hoogie

*In a girl voice* I didn't mean to be patronizing!!!

Hoogie, Hoogie, Hoogie, I smell the blood of an Chinese man, Hoogie, Hoogie Hoogie!!!

Hey! no hard feelings ;)

--------------------

I know these people, they serve me food from McDonalds :)

Don't touch my car! *wack!*

Archived